New to Sketchup

Page 1 of 2
If any of you are still looking for instruction, American Woodworker had just jumped on board and will be posting about 4 times a week. The link below takes you to the first post.
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/sketchup-with-joe-zeh/archive/2013/04/02/sketchup-comes-to-american-woodworker.aspx?utm_source=AWNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AWNL_20130418
On 4/18/2013 6:28 PM, Leon wrote:

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/sketchup-with-joe-zeh/archive/2013/04/02/sketchup-comes-to-american-woodworker.aspx?utm_source=AWNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AWNL_20130418

Ooops 4 times a month!
Leon wrote: > If any of you are still looking for instruction, American Woodworker had just jumped on board and will be posting about 4 times a week. The link below takes you to the first post. > > http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/sketchup-with-joe-zeh/archive/2013/04/02/sketchup-comes-to-american-woodworker.aspx?utm_source=AWNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AWNL_20130418
Just curious. Is anyone running this well on HD4000 built-in graphics. I'm pretty sure "discrete graphics" would do better. Nvidia GT-6XXm??? 635? 650?
I have reached the point where I am waiting for the next operating system after Windows8. If the industry can't do a little better, I'm not going to encourage them. It's like they are not even trying--laptops with SSD drives are relatively scarce. I mean an SSD drive would seem to be a natural fit for a laptop, yet you would never know it from most offerings.AndI assembled a desktop have one 3 years ago! I guess the suppliers just can't make as much money that way...
Bill
On 4/18/2013 7:26 PM, Bill wrote:

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/sketchup-with-joe-zeh/archive/2013/04/02/sketchup-comes-to-american-woodworker.aspx?utm_source=AWNL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=AWNL_20130418

If you are having graphic issues with Sketchup you probably need to tweak your Sketchup settings. I had an old Dell and got less than favorable results until I tweaked the settings.
What kind of problems are you having?
On 4/18/2013 10:25 PM, Leon wrote: > If you are having graphic issues with Sketchup you probably need to > tweak your Sketchup settings. I had an old Dell and got less than > favorable results until I tweaked the settings. > > What kind of problems are you having?
I've been shopping for a laptop. I just want to make sure whatever I end up with runs SU (very) well. The rest of what I would like in a laptop is:
SSD drive (256 GB would be plenty more than adequate, 128 GB not quite enough), preferably a name-brand one like Intel. Not all SSDs are created equal (I will have to rely on consumer ratings). i7-CPU several USB drives 1080p (Full HD, 1920x1080 resolution) Quiet ("Optimus" GPU switching?) Non-touch screeen Reliable-feeling keyboard Windows 7 or something "better" than Windows 8, preferably the professional version (but I expect to have to upgrade to get that).
I'm not too picky, am I? ASUS seems to come closest. Maybe Toshiba?
I am not in a hurry. My desktop is adequate for all essentials that I have to do. A conundrum is that most of the newer hardware has Windows8 on it. Amusing that MSFT could throw a wrench into this purchasing experience! : )
Bill

My desk top has a 128 GB SSD primary drive and a 1TB data HD. Don't recall the brand.

I originally wanted i7 but my neighbor, the guy in the computer business, talked me out of it 2 years ago. At the time and foreseeable future no software that was available or in the pipe line required it. I agreed with i5 and the machine is Fast. You might research if this is still true before spending extra money on power that you may never use.

Drives or ports?

LOL, how does that feel exactly?

Again my neighbor was only installing Win7 Pro on all of the computers he sold.

My motherboard is ASUS..

I would look into having a local build you a machine, Tell him exactly what you want the computer to do, not the components to use except for the type components, ie Intel brand, SSD. Let him build the computer to your needs and wants instead of settling for a "one of four choices" available in the store situation.

On 4/19/2013 8:51 AM, Leon wrote:

I've assembled my last 3 desktops. But with a *laptop* it's not really an option--although I have found some "boutique laptop builders" online. Yes, the "14 choices in the store" is no fun at all. You can't even compare their specs very easily, let alone stuff that can't be seen. e.g. HP, I believe, has a reputation for bad hinges since their hinges are made out of 2 kinds of metal that interact with each other. They don't dispense that sort of into in the store. I read alot of reviews (maybe too many), probably most people just "pick one of the 4" in the store...
Bill
Tell him exactly

On 4/19/2013 8:15 AM, Bill wrote:

Most any one can build a computer, your local builder should be able to pick out the parts that play nicely together and with out you having to over buy.

Something not mentioned, but the most important requirement of all, your video card:
http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer6208
Do not disregard the requirement for an openGL graphics card and you won't have a problem on most any computer, desktop of laptop, running Sketchup.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 4/19/2013 9:46 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yes, I didn't mention it because that question was the basis for my post: Whether HD4000 was up to the task of running SU.
I had tried to locate information like in the link below. Thank you for posting it. I doubt HD400 is a 3D-GPU (as described at the link), but I will learn a little more about the whole matter, whether I like it or not! ; )

Swingman wrote:

So here's the end, I hope, of my PC shopping story. Having spent plenty of time getting a feel for the laptop market, I just ordered this one, "Like new" for $527.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)67033715&sr=1-1&keywords=v56vm-ab71
If it doesn't live up to its promise ("like new"--as in, it better work!), I have 30 days to send it back. They distributer had at least 10 more to sell-otherwise it would bother me more that I am buying used from an "unknown entity". I suspect it's probably refurbished. It's the best value I found in a 1920x1080 resolution laptop. And, it has Windows 7! : )
This model has a reputation for running a little warm since it has a 7200 RPM HDD, rather than 5400 RPM which seem to be more popular. I should probably let it run for a few days, to "stress test it" assuming this is not imprudent, is it (I never had a laptop)?
It's real easy to fall into "feature creep" looking at computers. I tried not to spend "stupid" money on this--hopefully it will work out. For heaven's sake, you can spend more on a laptop than a decent cabinet saw!
Bill
On 4/26/2013 11:52 PM, Bill wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)67033715&sr=1-1&keywords=v56vm-ab71

No burn in required.
Just make sure it has no viruses in it already.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

Thanks, good idea! Will do.
Leon wrote:
>> i7-CPU > > I originally wanted i7 but my neighbor, the guy in the computer business, > talked me out of it 2 years ago. At the time and foreseeable future no > software that was available or in the pipe line required it. I agreed with > i5 and the machine is Fast. > You might research if this is still true before spending extra money on > power that you may never use.
I read once that "if irritated by slow reponse time, then you need an i-7". I have been bothered by lag of the wireless mice (mouses) I have tried, and haven't bothered to try a wireless keyboard for the same reason.
IIRC, I use an i-5 at work and have not had any problems with it. I haven't tried SU on it. I'll double check. Silly that it didn't occur to me to use it as a "benchmark".
I have never owned a laptop.
Thanks for helping me try to save some $$ which might be better spent. Seriously though, one of the main things I like to see in a computer is Quiet! : ) My desktop has a GPU with ambient cooling ("heat pipes") and uses an SSD.
Bill

I'm a huge fan of my ThinkPad T510. I've mentioned that here before a time or two. Good keyboard, it's quiet and runs cool. The trackpoint (red eraser thingy) is the way to go for mouse-intensive tasks. It won't leave your finger raw or cramped like the track pads do. (Plus, it manages to stay out of the way most of the time while typing...after you get used to it.)
If you want to custom configure a laptop, check out most manufacturer's websites. Lenovo let me choose certain options as they were building it, including SSD drives (not for me yet), OS version, video options, etc. Toshiba was the same way, I assume others will be too.
Laptops are pretty good about allowing the RAM, Hard Drive, and Optical Drive to be replaced, so if you don't like those it's not a problem.
One more note: weight is an issue. I had a 17" machine that weighs like 10 pounds (I think of it as a luggable rather than laptop) and went to a smaller machine that weighs (picks up machine) about 4. Much nicer to carry, and I don't really miss the extra screen size.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 4/19/2013 5:43 PM, Bill wrote:

LOL. my computer has 5 fans. We had an issue when the computer was still under warranty, it would freeze up. My neighbor would come get it to work on it and find nothing, it only acted up at my house. Long story short the problem was an intermittently failing external Seagate HD. Once I quit hooking it back up I have been trouble free ever since.
And I am not trying to tell you what to do here but I always thought I would like a lap top. They are great for portability but I bought one for my wife and one for my son for college. His home computer is again a desk top and I personally dont like the compromises that you have with a lap top. Given that, it is unbeatable if you need portability and or to be able to use it where there is no electricity.
"Leon" wrote:

business,

future no

agreed with

money on

------------------------------------------------------------ SFWIW, recently was talking to a guy who operates an internet business.
He has been operating long enough to have established a track record for computer hardware to operate his business.
He is now standardizing on rebuilt Chinese IBM lap tops,remote monitor, mouse & keyboard.
His comment, "We change batteries the first of every month".
"Keeps life simple".
YMMV
Lew
Leon wrote:

Yes, I made sure that I bought a power supply with a very low decibel level too! : ) Your system is only as quiet as your loudest fast!

Yep, that's the whole thing (portability).
Good luck getting your new saw properly settled-in!
Bill

I'm with you, I have a laptop from when I worked because it was easier then trying to move files around all the time. I had desktops at each location though. Since I'm not working anymore I updated the home computer to Win 7pro and more memory then I know what to do with and two 1.5 TB drives. Now I just use the laptop in the shop, or when I want to work in front of the TV. The 15" screen just doesn't compare to the 23" on the desktop. As you said everyone needs to figure out their needs. Oh Bill the old Dell Lattitude 820 with an Nvidia video card running XP has no problem with sketchup 8.
Mike M
Mike M

Just the opposite of you and Leon.
After years of having as many as 20 boxes to deal with, and all the attendant wiring and routing, I consider a desktop a compromise for the way I now work, to the point that I haven't had one in the office for almost six years.
Both my older Dell XPS1210 (Win8), and the newer XPS15 (Win7) are easily attached to the 24" monitor on my office desk, giving me two simultaneous displays, or go where I go; and both run SketchUp handily.
I generally leave the XPS15 in the office these days hooked to the 24" monitor, and take the 1210 on the road when the IPad won't do the trick. With a 1T USB drive going with me, and all devices synced to the cloud (Dropbox and Evernote in particular), it makes little difference where I am as far as business oriented computing.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)