New to group

Hello All,

I just discovered this group, and thought I would introduce myself.

Name is Gary, and I have been woodworking on and off for about 10 years. More on now than off.

I have just moved to a new house and just built my dream workshop and I am just now building my workbench. My last shop was my garage and the workbench was a solid core door with legs

I am in the process of filling out my shop with all the things I had no room for before.

If you would like to check out my shop go to:

have before and after progress pictures there.

My bench is being made from an old bowling alley lane. If I had known how much work it was I think I would have just bought a maple slab from McMaster Carr.

If you are interested I can go into more detail on why I don't recommend it.

I will post more pics of projects as time goes by.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

SNIP .

Welcome aboard Gary! Lots of good stuff around here from time to time. Don't forget to search the archives with questions.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Welcome.

Pull up a stool and rest awhile.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snip

Cut nails, more per square inch than you thought possible, by any chance? Apparently just glue won't hold up to "lofters" - the folks who hit the pin (singular) on the second bounce. To hell with spin! Hit 'em from ABOVE!

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Forgot to say "Welcome!"

google Nomex and Poo Suit.

BTW - you're gonna need more room.

Where are the clamps?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

| I just discovered this group, and thought I would introduce myself. | | Name is Gary, and I have been woodworking on and off for about 10 | years. More on now than off.

Welcome to the "wreck"!

| If you would like to check out my shop go to: | |

|| I have before and after progress pictures there.

Congrats - and thanks for taking and sharing the photos. They'll be helpful for anyone thinking of building a shop.

| I will post more pics of projects as time goes by.

Good. You might consider also posting photos (640x480 seems to be a good size) on news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

You're invited to use the link below and browse the visitors pages for a look around my shop.

Morris Dovey

The clamps were in the garage, and you always can use more room, but

1000 sq ft with 10ft ceiling should work for now. There's also 360 sq ft in the attic.
Reply to
Dead Dog

Yea, the nastiest spiral cut nails that ever existed. 1 every 8 inches and two at each butt joint. Never again!

Reply to
Dead Dog

Where can I find the archives?

Gary

Reply to
Dead Dog

Very nice "little" shop!

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

The easiest way for most is to go to the Google homepage, click on "Groups" (instead of Web). It iwll take you to another search page, and you can search for this group by typing in "woodworking" when looking for it. You will see the rec. in your results.

Then click on the correct results to get to this group. Open the page, and you will see at the upper right hand side an open box with a SEARCH button next to it. That's all you need to do.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

G'day Gary, Excellent place to while away the hours. Just one Q. Is there a reason the aircon in the office is in the window, rather than in the wall ?? Just thought that as you were building ya could have knocked a hole in to suit. ;) Just a hint of a green eye here :)

regards John

Reply to
John B

Hello John,

I decided to put the window AC in because I will only be using it during the summer, and I will take it out the rest of the year, so that I can get a view of the lake out the window.

Also I am still considering putting AC/heat unit into the entire shop, but I am concerned about the wood dust cloging it up over time.

This basically is a quick fix since I already had the window unit.

Gary

Reply to
gkemper

[snip]

Well, the easiest is to bookmark this URL:

are two searchboxes. Use the the one on the right, that says "Search this group"

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I also had this concern when I AC'ed my shop. But the AC contractor said if I changed the filters often there should be no problem. Still not trusting his judgement I made the return air intake 4 times the area he had designated. I just built a box that is fixed to the ceiling over the intake he installed and has 4-20"x20" filter grilles in which I place pleated filters. When I had the AC unit serviced this spring after a year's use, evap coil of the AC was clean. I change the filter about every two months. With the dust remover I see in your pictures (I have none) you should be more than fine.

Reply to
dondone