New This Old House season

Looks like they're going old school. Modest house, modest budget. Homeowners may actually lift a finger.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Yeah and then I saw the promo for next week and it was more mansion visiting.

Looks like they actually started work at the beginning of May, and it took them all month to demo the kitchen. Permitting issues maybe? the archive ended in July so can't tell very much else.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I can't believe how close they are to Logan. Makes those whiners in Bensenville (Chicago 'burb southwest of ORD) look like they're out in the country.

The house is less than ½ mile from Runway 4L/22R.

Reply to
LRod

You should see some of the skinny noise abatement corridors over Boston. They're literally trying to pick the neighborhoods you fly over.

Then again, when the wind is right at my home field , I'm flying over brand-new $400-500,000+ homes at 150-200 feet! I can actually see the faces of the owners of the new homes as they stand in the driveway looking up at me on departure.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Normally I agree with that sentiment. In the case of the This Old House project house it was built in 1919, long before there was an airport nearby and the home has been in the same family since it was new. Of course, if the family objected to the noise they could have moved away long ago. And, in fact, during the show one of the homeowners said they were pretty much immune to it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

However, I've seen folks in _new_ houses complain about dairy and chicken farm smell (seriously! ), airport noise, dump stank, race track noise, mall traffic, etc... just like Lee wrote.

Reply to
B A R R Y

During the opening familiarization tour they sort of danced around the "why" while talking about how affordable the housing was in the area compared to downtown Boston and other suburbs. The "why" was clearly noise. It's a market factor in the price. Those who need housing and can't afford Cambridge or Charlestown will consciously tolerate the noise at the reduced price to be able to live near the city.

Reply to
LRod

Wiley Post airport (in Oklahoma City) was built out in the sticks to avoid creating problems for residents. People built houses near it because the land was cheap then complained because of the noise. IIRC, shortly before I learned to fly there in the early 70's, local residents tried to get the airport closed because it hurt their property values. They did get the patterns on 17L and 17R changed to right hand patterns.

Jess.S

Reply to
Jesse R Strawbridge

My home airport (Cartersville, GA) was built out in the "sticks" too, but civilization keeps growing. Now, one developer is in the process of building

4,000 houses just SE of the field, and another wants to put 800 more right off the end of one of the runways...

Somehow I doubt that the realtors who sell the houses are pointing out that the homes will all be within 3/4 mile of a fairly active airport. Which means that we'll start getting complaints from Homeowner's Associations and busybody homeowners pretty soon...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

When we built our new home in the country, with cows, grapes (wine country Nor. Cal), apples, etc, we had to sign a statement that we were going to live in rural area and that our neighbors had the right to farm and we would be subject to: smells, user of fertilizer, pesticide, noise, etc. We couldn't get our building permit unless we did. Guess the Board of Sups, got tired of people complaining.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

At the time, did the existence of these things account for any type of lower price on the property you were purchasing?

Reply to
Upscale

No. Our lot is 2.2 acres with a view of vineyards. The close neighbors, those with adjoining lot lines, are all non-arigicultural. The paper we signed had to do with the surrounding area. During 2x a year, farmers spread manure in the fields. While we can't smell a thing from the house, you can go up and down the main road and get a good wiff.

Also our lot came with a septic field and well already done. Made that much more valuable because we kept running into lots/houses with either low volume wells or non-standard septics.

We had therefore no problems getting a permit to build because of the septic and well being done and permitted.

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace