New table saw - can't change blade

Ryobi from Home Depot ... I realize it's a reverse thread. Ryobi supples two wrenches and there seems to plenty of torque. Still under return for 45 more days but I hate to return an item this expensive because someone overightened the nut at the factory. If I get the nut off will I have damaged anything? ... I mean if the damage isn't obvious. Is there any damage done from overtightening in the first place?

Reply to
gray asphalt

I would think that the problem is some kind of metal bonding, rust, paint, etc. I would spray it with WD-40 or something similar. Let it soak overnight. Then attack it with some kind of pipe over the wrenchs to provide more leverage. Once it breaks free, you will know better what is happening.

Also, as long as you are going in the right direction, some hammer taps on the wrench will help move a stubborn nut. Just don't overdo it or go the wrong direction.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Try a little heat on the nut, make help loosen it with some thrmal shock.

I would think that the problem is some kind of metal bonding, rust, paint, etc. I would spray it with WD-40 or something similar. Let it soak overnight. Then attack it with some kind of pipe over the wrenchs to provide more leverage. Once it breaks free, you will know better what is happening.

Also, as long as you are going in the right direction, some hammer taps on the wrench will help move a stubborn nut. Just don't overdo it or go the wrong direction.

Reply to
Josepi

Always loosen a saw blade arbor nut in the same direction that the blade spins.

Reply to
Leon

Your concern with warranty is valid. Email Ryobi with a detailed report on the circumstances, with pictures, serial number, etc. Discuss maintaining the warranty, in case something does break, during your attempted fix. You want a record of having discussed the problem with Ryobi, and not just blindside them after the fact. I'm sure they will be accommodating, no matter if they allow you to attempt a fix or accept replacing it. Doesn't Home Depot have some sort of service personell. Get someone from HD to witness any attempted fix, to support the efforts you report to Ryobi, should future complications arise.

Any contact with Ryobi is evidence of an existing problem. There's no doubt a phone number on their paperwork, owners manual, etc. That's one of the reasons as to what the phone number is for, isn't it.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Haven't you ever watched Norm Abrams?

He doesn't change routers bits, he just opens that big drawer with the

15 routers in it and grabs the one with the right bit.

Go buy another table saw with a different blade. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not unless you do it yourself, no.

More than likely some Borg doofus turned it on w/o having fully tightened the arbor nut or checking that it wasn't only finger tight--that'll run one one extremely tightly for sure(+).

But, it won't be tight enough to have stretched the shaft bolt sufficiently to do any damage, no...

If'en the supplied wrench isn't long enough, use a bigger one :) or block the locking one and use a hammer to apply a shock to the nut a la an impact wrench...

(+)Once upon a time when just a young lad (relatively speaking, of course :) ) in a hurry I thought that would be the quick way so did just hand-tighten and go...well, it wasn't time well saved given the time required to undo it later... :( Lesson learned, however...

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for the new ideas. I'm on my way to Home Depot now.

Reply to
gray asphalt

Nix the heat idea, It could weaken the shaft (lose temper) causeing more serious problems in the future, like a broke shaft with a spinning blade on it.

Reply to
<jmohnike

So, being a left tilt saw, which this probably is, the threads are not LH. My right tilt delta is reverse threads, or LH. My jobsite Dewally is a left tilt and they thread on normally. Hey asphalt, you better try righty-tighty lefty-loosy before you take it back brother.

RP

Reply to
RP

Never mind left tilt vs. right tilt -- Leon nailed it with a simple rule: whichever direction the blade spins, that's the direction you turn the arbor nut to remove it. If you like, think of the saw teeth as directional arrows showing you which way to turn the wrench.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You guys are right, that's the easiest rule to remember.

But Doug, what if my saw teeth have a negative hook angle? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

What if some idiot put the blade on backwards? What if I'm working on my saw upside down, backwards? What if only have a LH wrench?

RP

Reply to
RP

I hate when I buy a pair of drumstick and they put two left handed sticks in by mistake.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

Not to worry.

You should be able to grasp them firmly with your multiple thumbs on each hand.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

The way I remember is to put a wood block under the teeth and turn the wrench so the teeth meets the wood. Make certain your fingers are out of the way!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I would, but the drawer is full of routers.

Reply to
krw

Doesn't matter -- the teeth still point forward, no?

Reply to
Doug Miller

-MIKE- wrote:

I was joking. First time I changed a blade, and for a long time after that, I used a thin screwdriver in a gullet. Next saw I got had two wrenches with it, and I was like, "Oh, so I don't need a screwdriver." :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I knew some one would mention that. LOL

Reply to