(New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

Page 5 of 7
On 12/9/2013 3:52 PM, Swingman wrote:

--
Jeff

On 12/9/2013 9:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Just put a comma between pretty and efficient.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Was lookiing at a friends pictures from one of our white water raft trips. I had to ask who the guy with the love handles and the bald spot on the back of his head was.
Some times the truth sucks.
Mike M
On 12/9/2013 12:02 PM, Swingman wrote:

Punk shoe washion has never been my strong .................

No, I got you. I was just 'splainin' my situation.

They may be smart.
In some occupations - photography, for instance - people often buy "name" tools because they think they will enable them to do something they are unable to do without it. In the case of photography, that "something" is make better pictures. They are deluding themselves...if they can't do it with "lesser" tools they won't be able to do it with the creme de la creme. I spent 50 years in photography - successfully, I might add - and never owned or even used a Hasselblad or Nikon.
The primary reason people practice a profession is to earn a living; enjoyment is a benefit but you can't eat that. I know of only two ways to earn more money: sell more or spend less. I'm not saying do NOT buy excellent equipment, I am saying buy what is adequate for the job and which will provide lengthy, trouble free service.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 12/8/2013 12:00 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Good advice, except to say that I buy the tool, with cost a secondary factor, that will provide me with the cost effectiveness of saving me time by increasing productivity.
Often that is an expensive tool, but it will be purchased with the idea it will pay for itself, both in use, and in combination with business tax incentives to purchase.
Business is business, and time is money ... (I think someone already said that, but least we forget) ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/6/2013 11:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Designated Driver. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/6/2013 1:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

I thought she was the decoy. ;~)
On 12/6/2013 1:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

OBTW! Kim is good for cooking on one of the nights that Nailshooter and his, wonderful other, come to town!
On 12/6/2013 7:11 PM, Leon wrote:

It if turns out to be an issue, I'll be there any way. When it comes to Kim's cooking it's everyman for himself. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/6/2013 10:05 AM, Swingman wrote:

Kind of a motley crew ;-)
--
Jeff

Just out of interest's sake, how many times have you replaced the bit(s) for your Domino. I know you would have used more than one size of bit, but considering that much of your construction is similar, I'd guess there's one bit size that you prefer?

I would say that 90% of my cuts are with the 5mm bit. How many have I gone through.... Still working with the original.

Really? Compared to the occasional comment on the Festool Owners Group, you're experiences would definitely be the exception. After 10,000 mortises, I'd have expected you'd have broken a few or started finding some of the mortise are starting to get smaller or rougher.

Really. I have used the initial 600, 5mm Dominos that came with the assortment, I have gone through a replacement case of 1800, and I am about half way through my second case of 1800. So I have gone through approximately 3300 5mm Dominos.
I have gone through approximately 570, 6mm dominoes and several of the 8mm and 10mm Dominos.
You cut two mortises for each Domino so I'll correct the actual count of cut 5mm mortises to 6,600. And for a over all total close to 8,000.
But seriously that original 5mm bit still cuts as smoothly as the 6mm bit which has far less miles on it. I actually have 2, 5mm bits, the original and the extra that came in the assortment of 5,6,8,10mm bits that came with the assortment of Dominos. I have not yet used the extra 5 mm bit.
Now I will say that if you are not careful with what you plunge your bit into, such as a hidden finish nail or debris on the edge of the wood, the bit would wear or break sooner. I don't baby my bit, I use it on plywood and MDF as well as solid woods. I still have to use a hammer to insert the dominos in solid woods and often in plywood when using the exact width setting.
These pictured mortises, below, were cut this past Spring, I have had the Domino since the Spring of 2007.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11051082274/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11051049986/

Have you not seen the large Festool Router that is over $800.? ;~)

OK, but I'm not a fan of handheld tools that will take me for a ride. ;-) 3+HP routers belong in tables, which is a waste of a FesteringTool, IMO. The money is better spent on a motor and lift.
The 1400 is $500 and the 1100 is $400. You can't get anything close for half the price. I like my PC691, too, but it's not even close.

I think the huge honking Festool router would be more of an attraction if I relied strictly on power hand tools.
I agree, I have two big routers, a Triton that replaced a huge Bosch plunge router simply because the Bosch did not adjust easily in a router table.

I was just at the Woodcraft in Alpharetta, Ga. and picked one up. There is no way I'd feel safe wielding that thing around. Might just as well pick up the Unisaur! ;-)

I have an old (hmm, must be 25YO by now) 3-1/4HP Ryobi RE-600 but it was destined for a table when I bought it. I wouldn't turn it on without having it held down securely, either. I took the handles off of it, in fact.