(New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

Gillette model, without the "free" part.

Reply to
krw

Nothing is different about GE (according to my browsing)! Seems like every company which is multi-national is taking advantage of related tax loopholes.

Reply to
Bill

That is where you screwed up. You have to do it to make money, not a living. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I would say that 90% of my cuts are with the 5mm bit. How many have I gone through.... Still working with the original.

Reply to
Leon

I'm still confused, do you feel that a Festool sander would require something special to make them run?

Reply to
Leon

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 23:44:59 -0600, Leon

Really? Compared to the occasional comment on the Festool Owners Group, you're experiences would definitely be the exception. After

10,000 mortises, I'd have expected you'd have broken a few or started finding some of the mortise are starting to get smaller or rougher.
Reply to
none

Been there done that.

That's why I am reluctant to do that with WW, my last relaxation. I don't worry about how long it will take me to do something, I just plod along. I do what I want when I want.

When you do it for money, it's different. It's a business.

Reply to
woodchucker

When a corporation does not follow the law, people are outraged. GE is following the existing tax laws and people are still outraged. Blame the lawmakers and get them to change the laws.

Oh, don't give that moral obligation crap unless you are paying all your taxes and skipping deductions, paying use tax for that mail order stuff too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Really. I have used the initial 600, 5mm Dominos that came with the assortment, I have gone through a replacement case of 1800, and I am about half way through my second case of 1800. So I have gone through approximately 3300 5mm Dominos.

I have gone through approximately 570, 6mm dominoes and several of the

8mm and 10mm Dominos.

You cut two mortises for each Domino so I'll correct the actual count of cut 5mm mortises to 6,600. And for a over all total close to 8,000.

But seriously that original 5mm bit still cuts as smoothly as the 6mm bit which has far less miles on it. I actually have 2, 5mm bits, the original and the extra that came in the assortment of 5,6,8,10mm bits that came with the assortment of Dominos. I have not yet used the extra

5 mm bit.

Now I will say that if you are not careful with what you plunge your bit into, such as a hidden finish nail or debris on the edge of the wood, the bit would wear or break sooner. I don't baby my bit, I use it on plywood and MDF as well as solid woods. I still have to use a hammer to insert the dominos in solid woods and often in plywood when using the exact width setting.

These pictured mortises, below, were cut this past Spring, I have had the Domino since the Spring of 2007.

Leon

I didn't say they were doing anything illegal, only that they paid

*NO* tax, even though they obviously make money here.

Well, that and the small problem of who actually writes the laws.

The real issue is that the tax laws have been allowed to get so perverse that tax lawyers and lobbyists make more money for corporations than does investing. Fair or flat, is the only choice.

Reply to
krw

OK, they're one and the same. ???

Reply to
krw

Sandpaper? I can't buy brand-x.

Reply to
krw

You mean the lobbyists?

The sanctimonious few that will apply to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, not really. I don't make enough money woodworking to support my life style. I have been seriously woodworking for 30 plus years but only in the last 15 or so years have I actually sold my work. Now I make enough to support my woodworking and to have extra left over. I'm pretty picky with whom I build for.

Reply to
Leon

OK, Ill agree. But I really don't spend any more on sand paper than I did when I was using 3M and Porter Cable paper. The Festool paper is superior to a lot of regular sand papers. I probably buy on average of less than 2 boxes a year. I really don't use over 6~8 sheets of paper combined for my finish sander and Rotex on a particular project.

Add to that both sanders used with a vac at all times reduces dust to almost zero, I no longer wear an apron when I sand. A benefit to zero dust is that the paper does not clog as easily as when it is constantly working on the dust and the project too. And when I switched over to Festool paper I did not notice much of a price difference compared to what I was buying. That becomes even less expensive when you factor in the paper lasting 50~100% longer than conventional paper.

Not trying to sell you, just letting you know that the price of the paper is not a concern to me since it is less expensive in the long run.

Reply to
Leon

Are you talking about the manufacturer or the retailer?

Reply to
dadiOH

They may be smart.

In some occupations - photography, for instance - people often buy "name" tools because they think they will enable them to do something they are unable to do without it. In the case of photography, that "something" is make better pictures. They are deluding themselves...if they can't do it with "lesser" tools they won't be able to do it with the creme de la creme. I spent 50 years in photography - successfully, I might add - and never owned or even used a Hasselblad or Nikon.

The primary reason people practice a profession is to earn a living; enjoyment is a benefit but you can't eat that. I know of only two ways to earn more money: sell more or spend less. I'm not saying do NOT buy excellent equipment, I am saying buy what is adequate for the job and which will provide lengthy, trouble free service.

Reply to
dadiOH

I interviewed for the job of running a WoodCraft store about 4~5 years ago. The profit margins are far greater than what you think. there are a few items that are low as with any trade but seriousely if the profit was as skinny as those you mentioned there would none of the stores around. Now having said that the BIG BOX stores can operate with those kind of margins because corporate is making majority of the profit with it's negotiation with the manufacturer. What ever the stores make on top of their expenses is additional gravy.

Nothing odd at all, every one wants to carry the brand because the profits are greater than what you have been told. The comments of the low mark up are simply a sales ploy to back up why none of the retailers are allowed to sell for less than suggested retail. If Festool was as low of a profit brand as you seem to think I seriously doubt that any one would actually be carrying the brand.

Reply to
Leon

Good advice, except to say that I buy the tool, with cost a secondary factor, that will provide me with the cost effectiveness of saving me time by increasing productivity.

Often that is an expensive tool, but it will be purchased with the idea it will pay for itself, both in use, and in combination with business tax incentives to purchase.

Business is business, and time is money ... (I think someone already said that, but least we forget) ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Really, how would yo do that?

What most of us know to be right and wrong, does not exist for a politician, The scum of the earch become politians. I'd rather deal with a common criminal than a politician. At least you know what you are getting.

Our politicians are allowed to do insider trading. The voted to stop that after a 60 minute show..

Then when no one was looking they voted to repeal it. You and I goto jail for the same thing.

How do you change that? I vote out the incumbent, but there are not enough people who believe in that. I vote independents these days as I don't believe the party system is working.

You can't change it, because we American's are stupid.. we vote the same peope in election after election.. why do we expect it to change...

Reply to
woodchucker