(New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

Page 4 of 7
Wrong - you like doing "it" as much as ever. It's the other baloney that became part of the package that stinks. Administrative tasks. Collecting on bills. Dealing with difficult or downright unreasonable customers. Here are words to live by:
Every job sucks when it's yours.
Work is work. That's why they call it "work" - if it were that much fun, we'd have to pay our bosses to let us do it.
On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 18:28:03 -0800 (PST), Jeff Mazur

Touché!
On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 20:58:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I love my job (hasn't always been true) but I just can't do it as a hobby. After 50hrs a week, it's just fun to continue. It's one of the reasons I like woodworking. It uses many of the same skills but it's quite different.

Been there done that.
That's why I am reluctant to do that with WW, my last relaxation. I don't worry about how long it will take me to do something, I just plod along. I do what I want when I want.
When you do it for money, it's different. It's a business.
--
Jeff

That is where you screwed up. You have to do it to make money, not a living. ;~)

OK, they're one and the same. ???

No, not really. I don't make enough money woodworking to support my life style. I have been seriously woodworking for 30 plus years but only in the last 15 or so years have I actually sold my work. Now I make enough to support my woodworking and to have extra left over. I'm pretty picky with whom I build for.

Gotcha. I'll retire soon enough and I'll be free to play all I want. I'm really trying to get a shop ready for that day. ;-)

You did not get me. LOL I did say that to do it to make money, not a living. ;~)
But yes you could make a living but you better be pretty efficient, talented and a good businessman. I stay busy enough with just referrals, I have always refrained from trying to make a living at it, I did not want to invest that much into it. Fortunately I was able to retire at 40. If I had to still earn a living I probably would not be doing it by building furniture.
On 12/9/2013 1:15 AM, Leon wrote:

You forgot the 'good looking' part.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/9/2013 9:13 AM, Swingman wrote:

Oh yeah, the ruggedly handsome part. LOL

Don't you get tired of looking in the mirror? :)

I go by how people look at me! LOL. I don't recognize the old guy in the mirror.

What is this mirror you speak of?
The only time I look in a mirror is to shave. And that gets downright scary at times. Which might explain why I don't shave as often as I used to.
On 12/9/2013 10:44 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I shave in the shower, no mirror.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Living in Houston must be alot like living in Hollywood!
On 12/9/2013 12:17 PM, Bill wrote:

Speaking of Hollywood..... Jay Leno perfectly described Hollywood in four words.
High school with money.
Leon wrote:

I went to a high school that felt like that. Some students wore fancy clothes and drove new cars, and some of us didn't! Those 4 words bring back a lot of memories!

Sure. Same when I was in high school, though few parents were stupid enough to buy their kids new cars (there were a few). When my son was in high school, one of the two-doctor-families bought the 16YO brat a ZR1 for his 16th birthday. A few weeks later, after a fight with his GF, he launched it into the top of a tree. He was airborne for around 150'.

I had to tell my wife that ditty. Her response was that "he doesn't care who's hand he bites, anymore". ;-)
On 12/9/2013 12:17 PM, Bill wrote:

Not quite, Bill Whittle sets that straight in the first two sentences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&vLDFxeB7Y-s&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4CDFxeB7Y-s%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player&app
sktop