(New subscriber) Latest and greatest tools, and old-time tools

Page 2 of 7

Exactly the same as my first Festool purchase too. Although, my purchase was awhile after yours. Did you get the pins model or the paddles model?

I got the pins model, in fact I bought early enough to get the introductory price during the first 90 days.

Pins? Paddles?

Spring loaded indexing protrusions on the face of the Domino. Used to index the cut referenced from the edge of the board or a previously cut mortise.
The later type has lock away paddles.

Ah, thanks.
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:32:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

You should feel cheated. The last time I visited my tool dealer, he gave me a Festool t-shirt.

Yeah, it is a half day trek from where I live south of Atlanta. I got spoiled in Dallas because I drove by Woodcraft every day on the way to work. I will say the Atlanta store seems nicer and better stocked, but I guess it ought to be since it is the only one in GA.

We just moved to the SW edge of Atlanta a year or two ago (me, two years - wife, last year) from Auburn Al. We used to do weekends in Perimeter about four times a year. Now it's maybe a once-a-month trip up there. There is a big gun show at the North Atlanta Trade Center next weekend, so it'll be twice this month. ;-)

Sure you can. "Buying a Festool will make a lot of free space in you wallet"
On 12/6/2013 10:04 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

:-0
--
Jeff

OK, I think I got it, now.
"Festool will free you of paying the rent." ...or maybe... "If you want a money-free life, buy Festools." ...or... "After that Festool purchase, you're free to live in the garage."
Like that?
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I didn't think it was, but I checked). One can generally trust a retailer to know precisely what they are selling, and pricing accordingly. If one diamond ring was only priced $500 more than another, it might not appear as shiny. But make the difference $5000, then people will go wow. I think some of the retailers have more fun selling things having exclusivity. Some people can surely justify Festool tools on their features, and some can probably justify them on other basis. I don't think sellers care why you buy. Just like anything. YMMV.
Bill wrote:

Funny, I read that in.

Exclusivity? How so?
Everyone under the sun seems to be selling Festool (weird since, according to all reports they make almost nothing on that investment). Diamonds are a whole different thing. There is no way and individual can realistically compare diamonds. Ever notice how the commercials say "He bought it at Jared", not "The South-African Blood is better than..."? The sizzle is in the retailer, not the product. (It can't be - diamonds are only valuable because of DeBeers' monopoly.)
There is something to what you say, though. Moons ago, Seagram's profits were declining in the growing population of liquors. Rather than cutting prices to increase sales, they increased marketing and *increased* price to sell as a premium brand. No one gives rot-gut at Christmas but they do give "top shelf", or whatever Madison avenue can pawn off as "top shelf". Their sales boomed. Business schools are in the business of teaching this stuff.
I think there is more than some Seagrams in the Festool brand but, unlike Seagrams, it really is better stuff. 2X? To many, the answer is, obviously, "yes".
I don't buy your implied comparison between Festool and DeBeers, though. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

income tax was actually paid by your favorite multi-national corporation last year. Hint: Just because you can see it in a financial statement doesn't mean it was paid.

Well, now we're on a different subject altogether but I'll counter with "GE". ;-)
I'm not talking about after-tax profits, rather top-of-the line margins. I've been told, on tools they're lucky to get 15% and maybe half that on Festools.
I don't think it's odd that Festool would have such small margins, rather what's odd is that it seems everyone wants to carry them. There are four WW stores in the Atlanta area (that I know of). Three carry Festool (the fourth, Peachtree, is heavy into Bosch - the whole product line). One of those (Highland) seems to carry every Festool and accessory, in stock. 110" track? "No problem, wait a minute and I'll get one?"
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

every company which is multi-national is taking advantage of related tax loopholes.
On 12/8/2013 12:26 AM, Bill wrote:

When a corporation does not follow the law, people are outraged. GE is following the existing tax laws and people are still outraged. Blame the lawmakers and get them to change the laws.
Oh, don't give that moral obligation crap unless you are paying all your taxes and skipping deductions, paying use tax for that mail order stuff too.

I didn't say they were doing anything illegal, only that they paid *NO* tax, even though they obviously make money here.

Well, that and the small problem of who actually writes the laws.
The real issue is that the tax laws have been allowed to get so perverse that tax lawyers and lobbyists make more money for corporations than does investing. Fair or flat, is the only choice.

Who?

You mean the lobbyists?