New Studio Phrases

Ever hear of a advertising slogan or motto? When my laundry detergent of choice keeps repeating springtime fresh do I take exception that it is winter no matter how many times I wash my shop rags?

Commentators are not to be confused with NEWS......I refuse to hear anything about murders in Aruba ever again..... However when the commentators are not pontificating the channel does squeeze in a bit about daily news, events etc......and I have yet to see anyone demonstrate that FOX plays loose with the facts.......they can't hold a candle to Rather and his fall from grace.

A book title?.....I'd suggest not reading the thing if the title really bothers you....however before critiquing the book itself to be "fair and balanced" one probably should read it first.....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

With the number one rated cable news show!!!!!...And in spite of your vindictive you don't present one single salient fact.... a simple "I don't care for the channel or Bill O'Reilly" would be a non issue...why the factless blather? Standing on a soap box, demanding attention and yet having nothing of value to say....odd.........Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

... snip of visits to *real* art and *real* museums

I was more referring to "modern" art galleries. Have been to the Fort Worth Museum of Art (Kimball museum I think is it's formal name) when they had the impressionist series there. That was very good -- the modern art in other parts of the museum not so much so. Have also been through several exhibits in Denver. Fort Worth Museum of art is a treat as it is naturally lighted.

The old impressionists, the masters -- I agree that those are both art and stunning. The modern stuff falls under the same thing as your impressions regarding the new woodworking lexicon.

Mark & Juanita

The simple fact that anyone calls what Mr. O'Reilly does "news" says a lot about the claimant.

He is not now nor has he ever been a journalist.

Contrary to what he and his friend Sean Hannity claim, their shows are not "news" they are in fact, talk shows disguised to make the listeners/viewers think that they're getting actual news. When confronted with his own contradictiory statements, Mr. O'Reilly's typical response is "I'll get back to you on that". Given that he lied about recieving an award for journalism as well as about his own background, the fact that he is caught lying on a regular basis on his faux "news" show is no surprise.

What's sad is that millions of otherwise intelligent people get caught up in thinking that what television and radio personalities say is both truthful as well as news in the traditional sense of the word. That applies to those who get their "news" from the Daily Show as well as from Mr. O'Reilly and Mr. Hannity.

Reply to
John Emmons

It is my understanding that Jon Stewart has made it very clear that the Daily Show is intended to be purely a spoof.

O'Reilly would be well served to do the same about his show, but that would require a modicum of intelligence.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

His web site claims "news analysis with investigative reporting"

Isn't that pretty much what he does?

His web site claims

"Bill O'Reilly has won a bevy of journalism awards including two Emmy's. He began his broadcasting career in Scranton, Pennsylvania and proceeded onto Dallas, Denver, Boston and Portland, Oregon as a local news reporter/anchor. In 1980, he returned home to New York City for a stint at WCBS-TV before moving to the national news scene reporting for CBS and ABC News. Mr. O'Reilly continued his climb as the anchor of the syndicated program "Inside Edition," before settling in at Fox News in 1996. "

common usage

journalist is a person who practices journalism, the gathering and dissemination of information about current events, trends, issues and people.

Would think he qualifies

No they claim to be claim to be commentators or news analysis's... is this such a difficult concept to understand?

Which statements were these, about what, ever signifigant?

Wasn't that the equivalent of a typo? In a verbal interview he referred to one award when in fact it was another......Isn't expecting in a non scripted interview zero errors unrealistic?....I know of no one public or private that can attain that standard. Was there a attempt to deceive to some gain or benefit? Like him or loathe him he has attained enough success to sleep in very comfortable bed and would need no career embellishment to further his successes

So it should be pretty easy to share a few of these lies......Please find a few that approx. anything close to deception.

Sadly personality cults seems to flow both ways........those that loathe O'Reilly seem happy to invent great faults out of petty non relevant comments.....Why is it so hard to just claim you don't like the guy? Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

The proper term is commentator. I do watch the factor if only to catch O'Reilly spinning the "news". His job, such as Sean Hannity, is to comment on the news not report it. By commenting on the news, covering it in their on slant they are supposed to make you think. Now Bill never actually calls himself a news reporter unlike those people on the big three networks. Now who is kidding who. -G

Reply to
Mr. G D Geen

Well, there's always the one where he claimed his pushing of a boycott on French goods was hurting their economy and quoted, IIRC, the "Paris Business News" to support his statement. Trouble was, there's no such paper, nor anything vaguely resembling that name.

BTW, the claimed reduction in their economy was the normal seasonal fluctuations :-).

I guess I can't really complain about his lies linking Iraq to 9/11 since our wacky president and his clan were guilty of the same thing.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Back to the proliferation of Studio Woodworking Terms and Phrases - ie woodworking ArtSpeak

- I'm in a quandry.

There's plenty of How To information about almost any aspect of woodworking - "How I did this joint, or this edge treatment, or this texture, or this finish.". Finding information about The Why is more difficult. "Why this edge treatment, joint, texture, finish - instead of that ________?". I've found that Krenov's books answer many of those types of questions - more his philosophy/ approach to woodworking.

But the new Woodworking ArtSpeak is more about What I Want The Piece To Say or What I Want People To Feel or Think When Viewing/Interacting With My Piece.

This seems to be more the realm of Art Critics and Art Historians who, though not "atists", attempt to explain What The Artist Meant and What The Artist Was Trying (and pehaps even succeeding) to Convey. These folks use words like "juxtaposition", "visual elements", "linearity / curvilinear", "mass", "balance", "contrasting" as well as "evocative", "provocative", "disturbing" and so on.

My question is Should the questions What Is It? What's It Suppose To Be? or What The Hell Is That? need to be asked when one encounters a piece made from wood? Or is ArtSpeak from woodworkers merely a marketing tool?

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

... snip

Unless it's a piece of wood art (i.e, carving, sculpture, etc), if you have to ask what a piece of furniture is, or is for, then I'd say the maker has pretty well missed the mark. i.e, if it's that artsy that it needs to be explained, Artspeak is merely marketing to people with lots of dollars.

Mark & Juanita

CharlieB:

I believe that you are caught up in what the philosophers/logicians call a "category error".

"Studio Furniture" or "Art Furniture" is propelled into reality by a different set of questions than those that initiate the projects of "Cabinetmakers", "Furnituremakers", and "WoodDorkers".

Those who inhabit the latter grouping ask questions like; "What is my need?", "What is my want?", "What will fit?", "What can I afford", "What does Aunt Betty want for Christmas?".

Those who belong in the former group are sculptors. I don't think that they ask any questions other than; "What would look cool to me?".

This is not a slam on them. They are sculptors and that is their job

- to be useless, or only useful by accident.

To be fair to these artists, I don't think that they come up with all the bullshit language that seems to encumber their realm.

I think that comes from commentators on their art, rather than from the artists themselves.

Artists are useful - most commentators are not.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Replace "commentators", with "music critic", and you're multitasking.

Reply to
Swingman