New Studio Phrases

Page 1 of 2
If you listen to NPR, or get Scientific America, or are breathing -you've heard of Black Matter. And you've heard the Art Speak phrase Negative Space (to describe a hole in some Positive Space).
Well here are some more - this time from the back cover of the February 2007 (aren't we still in 206?) isssue of Woodwork magazine. Here are some of the new Art Speak phrases contained in William Hunter's description of his piece, titled "Creation" - deconstruction (the piece blew up on the lathe) - reconstruction (I stuck the pieces back together) - wood/space relationship (I didn't fit things together well) (this next one's my new all time favorite) - the presence of abscence (you'll notice the absence of the pieces I couldn't find) - complexity of visual references (you may get a headache trying to figure out what I was trying to turn when things went all to hell)
From the photo of the piece it lookes like he mounted a gnarly jarrah bowl on his lathe and tried to get two bowls out of it with a "bowl saver" set up (curved gouge that cuts down on waste and hollowing time by allowing you to basically scoop out bowl blanks from a large chunk of spinning wod) \ \ \ ) ) ) / / / The first, smallest bowl blank came out ok. The second almost came out - then broke into three or four pieces, leaving the rest of the burl with a broken hole in it. The pieces were put together, avoiding having any parts line up with each other, the bowl he did get sits in the middle of the remaining pieces of wood.
When I hear FOX news misuse words, abuse words and use terms and phrases that make you go "HUH!??" it comes as no surprise. And when I hear the president of the United States repeatedly say "I'm the decider." you soon come to expect that he's going to say, and subsequently repeat, something that's going to make every english teach or professor he ever had want to hide under a rock, or perhaps want to hit the guy WITH a rock - while yelling "Decision Maker!" or "It's my decision!" I wonder if any 4th grade teacher is torturing his or her students by telling them to look up the definition of "decider" in the dictionary?
Now Woodwork magazine exposes their readers to some of today's Studio Woodworkers, so I expect the wording in articles and captions to be more artsy than techie. But "the presence of absence"? The William Hunter piece was obviously turned - did they have to use "spin" in the description as well?
Maybe it's just that my 2006 Bullshit Tank is full and My Cup Runneth Over.
charlie b
Note: 206 should be 2006

And yet if Bush misspeaks? I bet if he wrote a letter it would be grammatically correct as well as properly dated......if not he'd fire his secretary<g>.....Rod

Yep, those are pretty hilarious. I think the phrase is "cognitive dissonance".

Well, the post was funny up to here. Can you give any real examples where Fox is saying things that don't make sense; or is it maybe they just don't agree with your ideas. As I've mentioned before, it seems that those who criticize Fox most heavily don't actually *listen* to or watch Fox, they are only going by what they have heard others say about Fox. Fox News web page gets the same slanted newsfeeds from AP and Reuters as all the other news services. During the election cycle, they were almost as much in the tank for the Dems as the rest of the media. Calling them "conservative" is pretty much laughable. The only thing that qualifies them for that title is the fact that they have real conservatives as commentators rather than token conservatives to serve as convenient foils for their liberal commentators like the rest of the media. Even in that case, at least you know that they are editorializing when they are speaking compared to the tripe output by the NYT, Time, CNN, etc where they mask editorials as "news" stories
AP would have been a much better example. Reports from Gaza, for example where they say Despite the violence, both sides said they would honor the cease-fire: "the wave of violence appeared to be cooling after Sunday night's truce announcement. But one Fatah supporter was killed and five people wounded in fighting in the northern town of Jebaliya, and a 16-year-old bystander was shot in the neck during a gunbattle in Gaza City". In Gaza that's a truce, in Iraq, it's a civil war: <http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061218/ap_on_re_mi_ea/palestinians_politics
Or the case of the Iraqi police spokesman (Jamil Hussein), so often quoted by AP, but who seems to be unknown to the Iraqi government or coalition forces: <http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry#740
Or Time, changing their description of Ahmadinijad: <http://www.bizzyblog.com/2006/12/18/description-of-one-of-times-person-of-the-year-candidates-changes/
.. or the reports of the "bombed out amulances", etc. etc.

Yours isn't the only one

Mark & Juanita wrote:

come around to accept that they've been lied to. Many now see that 'The Decider' is a certifiable lunatic. And our 'Prime Minister' has made a deal with The Decider that he would make himself look good with a soft-wood lumber deal in exchange to send off a few of our boys to Afghanistan. Basterd.
For some light reading:
http://tinyurl.com/y8x7wk

Sounds more like yours has been filled up by the main stream media and you've bought into it.
Never in history has a country (or countries) had such an internal resistance movement that have been so vociferously anti-country and yet been so accepted, tolerated, and even encouraged. The question to Wolf Blitzer was a valid one, "do you, or don't you want our country to win?" Looking at the reporting and absolute dotage over the terrorists, my fear is that, no, they don't.
That Iraq is a problem has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. From the day the resolution authorizing force was enacted, the press has been crying "Quagmire!", "Vietnam!", "Torture!", "We are the evil ones!" incessantly. They have forced us to tie our hands in dealing with the insurgency by conducting a "politically correct", "thoughtful and careful" war. The insurgency recognizes that their strongest allies are the US media and are taking advantage of that fact, thus causing this conflict to go on longer than if the press had backed the actions and pushed for an early resolution (that didn't entail our surrender).
Ah well, your side has won the election and I'm sure that the pigeons of surrender will be flying soon. It's going to take Iran setting off a nuke in a city near and dear to us before (maybe) people wake up and recognize that the radical Islamists really mean it when they state that their goals are to drive Israel into the sea and to see Western civilization killed or converted. Hopefully it won't be too late for us to wake up and win rather than being propelled into the 7'th century with a new dark ages coming upon us.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I did not buy into it, but having read your post, you certainly did.
If Iran has a bomb, nuke them. (Better yet, have Israel do that.).... but make reallllly sure they do. Not another yellow cake/aluminum tube story, okay?
btw... being anti-THIS war, doesn't make me a democrat, okay?
Mark & Juanita wrote:

FOX Fair and Balanced
Whole new meaning for the word "fair". Whole new meaning for the word "balanced".
If you have to keep reminding people that you're "fair" and "balanced" there's a good chance that you have to keep saying that to get people to believe things you're saying that dont' seem to be either fair, or balanced.
If you've watched Hannity & Combs - even once you recognize the "are you still beating your wife?" style of "discussions".
If you've watched the O'Riely (sp?) Factor or even read the liner on his latest book - I think its title is Freedom Warrior, you have to get out the dictionary and check that the definition of the words haven't, in fact, changed since last you looked. Hadn't had to do that since Lyndon Johnson declared War On Poverty and Nixon declared War On Drugs.
BTW - the definitions war n. 1. an armed conflicy between nations or states 2. any conflict or struggle; hostiliy 3. the science of military operations warfare n. 1. the waging of war 2. struggle; strife warrior n. a person engaged in, or experienced in, warfare Now if you go with the second defintion of the first two words, then technically, Mr. O'Riely (sp?) has the right to call himself a "warrior" though I'd use Martin Luther King as a better example.
But if you want an example of the FIRST definition of the word warrior -I'd have to go with Major General George Lafayette Mabry Jr., the second most highly decorated soldier in US history, and the kindest man you'd ever meet. The evening of the day he got his first star, his daughter was kidding him - "Daddy, I bet you even put a star on your pajamas!" Her brother ran upstairs and came back with a pajama top - with a star on each shoulder. This man was truly an American warrior - in the best meaning of the term.
And if you want to know how he earned the Congressional Medal of Honor go here http://www.medalofhonor.com/GeorgeMabry.htm
Relatively speaking, O'Riely is hardly what I would call a warrior.
Now when a prominent public figure - ok - it was Bill Clinton, said "I did not have sex with that woman" it was in fact a lie and called a lie. However, when Ronald Reagan (pronounced Ray Gun) said "I did not trade arms (to Iran) for hostages (US hostages held by Iran - 'til the moment Mr. Reagan took the presi- dential oath of office) - he got away with later saying - that he mispoke. We all know that mispeaking is not the same telling a lie - right?
But back on topic. I expect "spin" from some parts of The Media, most elected officials and all car ads. I'm concerned that it's now spilled over into woodworking.
The presence of abscence? That puts my teeth on edge!
Run Alice! Run!!!!!!
charlie b
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 01:54:32 GMT, Lew Hodgett

I believe that you have defined "consanguinity". in the political, albeit not the genetic sense.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 01:54:32 GMT, Lew Hodgett
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /

... or maybe you are pointing out that your competition is not necessarily presenting things in a "fair" or "balanced" way. Witness the NYT, the LA Times, CNN, ABC, CBS. Editorials masking as news.

The fact that Colmes can't logically defend his positions does not render the discussions irrelevant.

Oh, I thought this was discussing the news part of Fox news, not the opinion shows that, you will note, are clearly presented as editorial and opinion-oriented shows.
... snip

Now, that, we can both agree upon. Have you taken any trips to any art museums? *That* is an experience that borders on the illogical.
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:17:14 -0700, Mark & Juanita
Don't even argue with him.
A few years ago, when we argued about the viability of George Bush's War - where did he stand?
Where is he then, now?
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:
snip

Arguments are two oneway speaches, with both parties beginning with and ending with closed minds.
Now a discussion on the other hand is an exchange of ideas - far more interesting, and often informative.
My original topic for discussion was how spin is entering the woodworking lexicon - epitomized by "the presence of abscence". I'd gotten use to "negative space" and understood it to mean holes, symetric or irregular, in something that I guess you'd call "positive space". In the original context - a broken turned burl bowl - with some pieces probably missing - I didn't try to mentally reconsctruct was was shown in the photo - and the rest set at angles to each other just to make "recon- structing" the "deconstructed" piece.
I suspect that the new woodworking spin terms and phrases have more to do with increasing the price tag of the item than to communicate the artist's concept or inspiration for the item/piece.
Now I must admit that I live in The Heart of Silly Cone Valley where we have two infamous pieces of "art". The first, a dark gray concrete spiral in a park in the center of what used to be called "downtown" and now called The Central Business District which The local paper called The Gray Dog Turd" - on editorial page. The other piece is a two times lifesize - anotomically correct - initially polished bronze statue - of Anita Ekberg - in THE NUDE!. Since its installation a patina has developed, toning down the initially shiny gold finish - EXCEPT, for some mysterious reason - the nipples. Even our civic architecture is embarassing - the Children's Discovery Museum - painted PURPLE and The Tech Museum, known locally as The Tech - in day glo orange! Guess they figured if the architectural work wasn't going to be noteworthy they could at least make it stand out from its surroundings.
I can't define the word "art" but I know what it DOESN'T look like, sound like or feel like.
charlie b
"charlie b" wrote in message

If it was "discussion" you were trying to encourage instead of "argument", then why go throw up "red flags amongst bulls" with your remark about news organizations?
It was unnecessary, out of place in what would otherwise have been an intelligent post, and not conducive to any attempt to encourage "discussion".
Now you done gone and got some good folks, who get along on most things but politics, pissed off at each other.
You're a good man, Charlie Brown ... but if the intent to foment an "argument" was as calculated as it appears, IMHO, you should be ashamed of yourself.
FWIW, IMO, etc.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Been a few years. I O.D.ed on them. Vienna - The Goya Exhibit - fifty of his paintings. Albrecht Durer (sorry no umlat or whatever it is over the "u") - only two or three of his engravings - but detailed to the nth degree. Hans Holbien's work was also represented. In Florence - Michel Angelo's The David at the Acadamia, stunning. At the Uffizzi (sp?) - Donatello, Caravagio. At The Duomo - some amzing carvings - gold leafed so I have no idea of what the wood was inderneath. Paris - the Picasso Museum - some of his work is fascinating when you can get close enough to see how it was done. At the Place Georges Pompidou a speed record motorcycle almost totally enclosed in cowlings that had some of the most sensuous lines I've seen anywhere. Spent a LOT of time examining some incredible massive wooden doors throughout the area that I could walk to from the Hotel Tim K(swear to gog - Hotel Tim - on Rue Monge). Deutsches Museum - both the jet engine technology sections and the auto sections - art in functional application. Prague - the Alfonso Mucha Museum - and the art nouveau found everywhere - on the paper currency, many buildings and in every shop. Glass works EVERYWHERE. Their cobalt blue glass is addictive to look at and always heavier than they appear to be. And in St. Petersburg, Florida of all places - the Dali Museum. Dali was the ultimate self promoter - a super draftsman - on LSD!
So which museums have you visited?
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

Detroit Institute of Art (there are pieces of Babylon on display that were left sooty from the night that city fell and also part of the Ishtar gate ---- the rest of fit is in, IIRC, Munich, De)
Van Andel Museum in Grand Rapids, MI to see a traveling exhibit of the Dead Sea scrolls. Apparently to reduce the risk of terrorist incident, they also displayed a beautifully illustrated copy of the Koran in the same room. Grand Rapids was / is a 'furniture town' ... so they also had a largish display of a turn of the century furniture factory.
Oh, and I wandered around Berea, KY one rainy afternoon. One whole section of that town qualifies as a museum. As does historic Plymouth, MI.
Wandered through a restored farmhouse w slave quarters in North Carolina a few years back. The 'big house' WAS bigger ... but size was pretty much its only advantage that I can recall. Life wasn't easy for anyone living on that farm. Hard on all, though probably harder on others.
Bill
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-2, 12/26/2006

I was more referring to "modern" art galleries. Have been to the Fort Worth Museum of Art (Kimball museum I think is it's formal name) when they had the impressionist series there. That was very good -- the modern art in other parts of the museum not so much so. Have also been through several exhibits in Denver. Fort Worth Museum of art is a treat as it is naturally lighted.
The old impressionists, the masters -- I agree that those are both art and stunning. The modern stuff falls under the same thing as your impressions regarding the new woodworking lexicon.
Back to the proliferation of Studio Woodworking Terms and Phrases - ie woodworking ArtSpeak - I'm in a quandry.
There's plenty of How To information about almost any aspect of woodworking - "How I did this joint, or this edge treatment, or this texture, or this finish.". Finding information about The Why is more difficult. "Why this edge treatment, joint, texture, finish - instead of that ________?". I've found that Krenov's books answer many of those types of questions - more his philosophy/ approach to woodworking.
But the new Woodworking ArtSpeak is more about What I Want The Piece To Say or What I Want People To Feel or Think When Viewing/Interacting With My Piece.
This seems to be more the realm of Art Critics and Art Historians who, though not "atists", attempt to explain What The Artist Meant and What The Artist Was Trying (and pehaps even succeeding) to Convey. These folks use words like "juxtaposition", "visual elements", "linearity / curvilinear", "mass", "balance", "contrasting" as well as "evocative", "provocative", "disturbing" and so on.
My question is Should the questions What Is It? What's It Suppose To Be? or What The Hell Is That? need to be asked when one encounters a piece made from wood? Or is ArtSpeak from woodworkers merely a marketing tool?
charlie b
... snip

Unless it's a piece of wood art (i.e, carving, sculpture, etc), if you have to ask what a piece of furniture is, or is for, then I'd say the maker has pretty well missed the mark. i.e, if it's that artsy that it needs to be explained, Artspeak is merely marketing to people with lots of dollars.

CharlieB:
I believe that you are caught up in what the philosophers/logicians call a "category error".
"Studio Furniture" or "Art Furniture" is propelled into reality by a different set of questions than those that initiate the projects of "Cabinetmakers", "Furnituremakers", and "WoodDorkers".
Those who inhabit the latter grouping ask questions like; "What is my need?", "What is my want?", "What will fit?", "What can I afford", "What does Aunt Betty want for Christmas?".
Those who belong in the former group are sculptors. I don't think that they ask any questions other than; "What would look cool to me?".
This is not a slam on them. They are sculptors and that is their job - to be useless, or only useful by accident.
To be fair to these artists, I don't think that they come up with all the bullshit language that seems to encumber their realm.
I think that comes from commentators on their art, rather than from the artists themselves.
Artists are useful - most commentators are not.