New SketchUp Tutorials Available for Woodworkers

Hi Folks,

I have been using SketchUp, the free drawing package from Google, for about three months (though 3D drawing for about 15 years). I know what it is like for a newbie to come up the curve. To help others, especially woodworkers, I have posted the first two parts of a six part tutorial on the how to draw a bedside table on my blog. Part three will go up today. It is intended for beginners. I am also using this material to teach a class in my local area. So check it out. If you use it please send me feedback, the kind I can use to make it better. I have a thick skin and small ego, so you won't hurt my feelings. My blog is

and my contact information is on my website
.

Thanks, Joe.....

Reply to
Chiefwoodworker

Thanks, Joe!

New WW Sketchup stuff is ALWAYS welcome!

Skip

Skip Williams

Thanks a ton, I've been fighting with some of the quirks for a few days now trying to get up and running.

I've only skimmed Part 1 but it looks very useful (the 3 rules taught me part of the solution to my struggles already)

Reply to
Marc Britten

Thanks, I am glad you find them useful. I just put up Part 3. I am learning like you, though I have been drawing 3D models with another CAD tool for about 15 years. I found de-learning that tool and doing things the SketchUp way a little frustrating at first. But once I understood the simplicity of SketchUp and gave up trying to make it do things the way traditional CAD tools do, I found it quicker and more enjoyable. So I decided to teach a class in the local area and that is where this material is coming from. I am also getting a lot of feedback from SketchUp experts on other and easier ways to do things and it has been very helpful. I am learning a lot with this tutorial. So I hope you are too.

Joe....

Chiefwoodworker

The most helpful part so far is you trying to get people in the "think ahead" mindset. This makes modeling easier. I was fighting for a while with some components that I flew through after doing parts 1 and 2.

Thanks again, I'll work through 3 shortly.

Reply to
Marc Britten

I have worked my way through part 3 and am finding it very helpful. I started into SU over the winter when business was slow, trying to model our decks and porches. Most off the shelf deck and porch software had no way for me to show a customer the details that we work into our projects. As a result we had been using pencil drawings that my partner would produce. I have been able to accomplish good renderings of our work for a couple of customers and now need to try and refine my skills and methods in order to produce the designs more quickly and efficiently.

Your tutorial has been very helpful in seeing new ways to approach a project, as well as manage the process.

Thanks for your hard work,

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. For your information Part 4 is out. I am learning a lot about SketchUp myself. In fact I have been characterizing each tool to figure out how they work and what their shortcomings are. I am thinking that after this series of tutorials, starting another which would focus on just one tool for each installment, but cover it in absolute thoroughness with examples. Is that something you would find useful?

Joe....

Chiefwoodworker

I believe that it might. I believe that there are quite a few users who develop a decent understanding of the basics of the program. At least enough to get something of what they need to do done. I think that they then slip into the trap of "well that's good enough" and no longer dig for more knowledge. Sometimes it may seem easier to keep going with what works rather then digging deeper for more knowledge. I think that further knowledge is what produces more efficient work and/or better results. I was thinking that my deck designs so far were pretty nifty, but then I look at the work that others have done and realize that I have barely scratched the surface.

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Highland,

I agree with you and find myself falling into the same trap. So this is a way for me to gain a better understanding too. The isea is still forming in my head but I think I am going to do something like this.

Joe....

Chiefwoodworker