New Shop Spec Suggestions

Page 1 of 3
We're in the process of buying a new home, and I have an area in the basement that is roughly 18' x 22' x 8 1/2' reserved for a wood shop. We're at the stage of construction where the studs are in, but no wiring or plumbing yet. Other than upping the electricity from 150 to 200 in hopes of eventually aquiring, say, a 220 cabinet saw, I haven't gotten around to making any specific requests. I'm looking for suggestions as to what else I might want to specify at this stage of construction to take best advantage of the space.
Thanks in advance, Al

Lets see...maybe a lot of soundproofing in the ceiling? Seriously tho, you would be very wise to consider having the walls covered with 5/8 or 3/4" CDX before drywall. Just think of how much easier it will be not having to worry about where the studs are every time you want to hang something on the wall. Also, when you get pissed off and throw a hammer, it will domuch less damage... DD
"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines
If a thing's worth doing, overdo it. Someday, it'll all be over....

Damn right! DD
"It's easy when you know how..." Johnny Shines
Put in electrical outlets everywhere at 42 inches high. Its much cheaper to do it now than to add it later. You could also have them pull the wire and loop it into electrical boxes for adding sockets later. I'd strongly suggest you put in a separate electrical subpanel to power your shop. Maybe that's what you implied below, but I wasn't sure. Its really handy to be able to kill power to your big tools right there in the shop. I also find it comforting to know I can disable power and not worry about kids getting into something they shouldn't.
Have you considered putting water or a half bath in there?
What about lighting?
Heck, get the book "Setting up Shop" and read the whole thing. It will give you ideas and direction that you might not even have thought about.
Bob

Bob Davis writes:

Curious about this one. I put my electrical outlets in 54" high so I could stand 4x8 panels against the wall and still use the receptacles. Why 42"?
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

Some like 42" onna 'count of it's at "arm level" (the same height as you'd typically find a light switch).
With about 120 running feet of wall space I don't have much of it left for leaning sheet goods.
I've also noticed that some of my machines (jointer, planer and band saw) have clustered themselves in the middle of the shop. The seem to like it there but this means cords strung off in each direction to the wall boxes. I have on my short list the task of running a line down the ceiling and terminating into a 4-way just above this location. I have a similar line above my assembly area but it's only rated 15 amp (portable power tools only).
UA100
scribbled

IMNSHO, our North American 42-48" inches is stupid. I know we're all used to it, but the Yurpeens put theirs much lower, so you don't have to lift your elbow to flick a switch. OTOH, Charlie's 54" makes a lot of sense.

That's why you need windows in a shop (Sorry Charlie). With windows, you reserve a wall space to lean sheet goods on. Unless the windows are placed too high, which then tempts you to put a counter or bench under them.
Luigi Zanasi responds:

Well, I've got over 135 running feet of wall space (interior of 25 x 48, minus one 8' door and one 4' door) in my Bedford shop, and there almost never seems to be enough space for anything, at least along the walls. My few windows are placed high enough so that I can put tools or benches under them...in my view, windows are a PITA, but some are helpful for ventilation. They allow light to screw up photos, and the differing angles of winter and summer sun can create problems, as well. I seriously regret the window in the end wall of my shop in winter.
I have about 16' of wall space where sheet goods are more or less permanently tilted (which will change when I get back), plus another 8' or so wide stretch on the front wall that provides hanging space for jackets, aprons, similar things, plus standing space of seamless paper (for photo backgrounds), that is also occupied right now by about 8-9 sheets of oak plywood. One wall is all workbench (and will get wall cabinets over shortly after I return, to add to the cabinets under...which will get new and different doors: the simple plywood doors have warped all to hell and back, thanks to the Virginia summer/winter humidity changes).
I do have some open space on the end wall, though right now that has some 8-10' long 4/4 oak and cherry taking up most of the space. Stuff ahs been there about 3 years, so is ready to use.
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken
Charlie, how wide is that seamless paper and where does one find it? I am tired of shooting against a tarp and then editing it out. :-)
BRuce
Charlie Self wrote:

--
---

BRuce

BRuce asks:

Narrowest is 53" x 12 yards long (rolled, of course). Next up is 107". IIRC, you can then get 12'. Check out www.adorama.com and www.bhphoto.com. Search under backgrounds or seamless paper. Both of those outfits are reputable NYC businesses that I've dealt with for some time. You can probably also find the seamless paper at your local camera store.
Comes in all the colors of the rainbow, plus some, including 2 shades of white (white and super white).
Charlie Self
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

B&H Photo is awesome. I have used them for all my gear. Their prices are fair and their service is excellent.
Rich

IIRC,
NYC
the
white
thanks and thanks for all the B&H recommendations. we have University Camera in the Durham area that is very good, been around a long, long time. I will try them first and the on the B&H if that doesn't work.
BRuce
Charlie Self wrote:

--
---

BRuce

"Charlie Self" wrote ...

NYC
the
I just wanted to chime in and second Charlie's comment on B&H Photo. They are an excellent company to deal with, easily on par with Lee Valley or other fine mail order/online establishments. You would have your best luck at a place like B&H - I don;t know what camera shops are like where you are but in South Jersey they are the $hit$ and don't carry anything most of the time.
--
Cheers,
Howard
Howard Ruttan wrote:

I third it. Can't believe they're still sending me that gigantic, expensive catalog every year.
I pretty much figured out that 553 trillion other people wanted to try to make money as a photographer too, and the equipment to compete with the big boys was just too spendy, so my camera spends a lot of time languishing in the closet these days.
I should probably sell that damn thing. I guess I won't though. I'd never buy another one, but I've already paid $115,000 for this one (I put it on my credit card years and years ago, stupid, stupid, stupid) so I might as well keep it.
I'm doing all new wiring in my shop-to-be. the ceiling outlets are handy - lots of 'em. I put one right above the outer right hand corner of my table saw and it sure keeps the cord clear of everything. I'm also putting in lots of 220 everywhere and converting tools to 220 where possible.
Bob

could
My guess would be that many benches and work areas are about 34" high and he added an extra 8 onto that. What about it Bob?

On 26 Nov 2003 09:25:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Just finished wiring mine at 42. I was thinking "higher than the intended benchtops and lower than the intended cabinets."
I'm really cramped for space. 12'X16'. My intended ply storage area will be the first 4' of space as you come into the shop, plywood slid into the (intended ;> ) hinged rollout plywood holder thingy. KnowhutImean?
Another week or two and it'll all be moot since I won't be able to afford plywood anymore.
Michael
On 26 Nov 2003 09:25:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Who knows? <embed wav of "Short People" by Randy Newman here> <gd&r>
It clears the bench and I don't have room to put plywood panels around. But your idea of higher is probably even better. The point is to get them up high for accessability.
Bob