New shop snake!

Page 1 of 2
Back in the corner behind the drill press, where I store hazardous materials for later disposal, he sleeps... Tom
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:54:06 -0700, tom wrote:

I like snakes, but how do you hear a warning rattle with a power tool running?

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I certainly hope Tom is in habit of wearing his boots in the shop if going to let it nest there permanently--they're useful and I don't kill them but certainly do move them away from the places that are commonly inhabited/working.
They'll warn if they have time and feel encroached upon, but stick a hand in front of one not knowing it happens to be there or step on his tail and he'll strike first, warn later....got the t-shirt; fortunately, did have on boots and that was the saver of the calf muscle. That was 50 years ago or so and I hope it's yet another 50 before a repeat performance.

Holy *! So he missed you? Yes, I'm careful. I saw him from about 3 feet away, while I was moving toward the recycling area in the corner. He was so cold he didn't move after petting/waking him with a loop of rope on a stick. You don't really step/reach into unknown territory anywhere here, even if it's within 200 feet of the house. And I built that drill press cabinet specially so a snake couldn't hide easily. I suppose I'll soon repair that garage door gasket. Tom
tom wrote:

Where are you located?
Steve Turner wrote:

My 1st guess, Arizona. 2nd guess, New Mexico.
--

-MIKE-

Tucson.
tom wrote:

Ding, ding, ding!
What's my prize?
Yeah, yeah, I know. :-)
--

-MIKE-

RE: Subject
I'll pass.
Lew
tom wrote:

Well, no, he didn't really miss, just that he got just below the top of the boot shaft (every cowboy wears his boots punchin' cattle :) ). I dismounted at gate to open and he was on backside of the post sorta' around it in the weeds/grass. I stepped either on or close enough to the rattler end that he felt it and reached around the front side and got my other boot full on. Left a goodly set of double scratches and the tip of one fang. Fortunately, he then retreated into the warning pose and it was a draw although I'm sure while he was startled I was far more frightened. I was about 14/15...
The other fable besides the "they'll _always_ warn" one disproved that day was that "the horse will always know they're there first"...
Haven't seen too many this summer probably because the horde of barn cats pretty much keeps the rodents and most other stuff out of the barn and other outbuildings (the coyotes haven't been doing their job of thinning the herd very effectively). See them most often sunning in the road...
We've never had a real infestation right around us but over west of town 10-15 miles where they have always had prairie dog infestations you don't do anything w/o looking first...
dpb wrote: ...

... Cats, too... :)

i've heard that people have been killing the so many of the ones who do rattle that the ones who don't are reproducing and passing down that trait. i had one that was living under my trash can who didn't rattle til i poked him with the long handled shovel.
didn't think the wife could move that fast tho. she makes me take out the trash now.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:17:02 -0700, charlie wrote:

That could well be. I have a strong suspicion that cougars are losing their fear of humans now that they aren't hunted any more. The fear is no longer a survival trait.

you mean like this?
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss312/chaniarts/?action=view&current=IMG_4692.jpg
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss312/chaniarts/?action=view&current=IMG_4698.jpg
this was my back patio with the neighborhood bobcat
regards, charlie cave creek, az
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:14:28 -0700, the infamous "charlie"

Mr. Bobcat is just sitting there, almost yawning, while your herd is in full panic mode. That's hilarious. I can almost hear the PFfffft! from the pics. Har!
When I was living in Vista, CA, I was taken by a friend over to Oceanside to a couple who adopted a tame mountain lion. They named it Kitty and kept her outside on the back patio. I got to sit down next to it and saw that her paws anf forelegs were the same size as my hands (fist) and forearms. Amazing. I petted him and scratched her neck and got a very throaty purr. Sounded more like a Harley idling. She allowed me to play with her for several minutes before getting up and dragging about 100 lbs of chain back across the yard and jumping casually up onto the roof in back. At that point the neighbor dog went apeshit. I heard 2 weeks later that the stupid mutt got through the fence somehow and became Kitty's lunch. Animal Control took her and killed her for doing that, damnit. I almost cried, but I was too angry at the dog and the neighbors who caused her death.
That was an extremely fun afternoon, and a very dangerous experience. She'd been declawed but not defanged so she was still lethal, as the idiot barker next door found out.
RIP, Kitty. I'll remember you 'til my dying day.
To bring this back on topic, it was a wooden dog fence.
tom wrote:

I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of guy, but I do have a country boys attitude about snakes ... poisonous one can be tough on your dogs and grandchildren.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:23:49 -0500, Swingman wrote:

I used to catch garter, king, and black snakes and turn them loose in our garden. Never had to spray for bugs :-).
Now I have a wife who's deathly afraid of them, but since I'm getting too old to spend a lot of time gardeniing I don't care.

scrawled the following:

And let's hope they're not the type with the cut-down tops, huh?
tom wrote:

Dude! Glad things turned out OK. Saw further down you are in Tucson also. Not sure my approach would have been to tap him with a rope on a stick -- more like smack him firmly with a pointy stick

Rob Leatham

Unless you've moved recently, I'm less than a couple of miles from you. Tom