New season of NYW

Page 1 of 2
The 2009 season of New Yankee Workshop is about to happen.
From the website:
--
The New Yankee Workshop returns to PBS with a compilation of 26
episodes. Each program will feature a popular project from a past

Reruns?? Reruns?? That is what is presently playing on cable. 4, 352 episodes of Nahm, over and over and over again!!
So what is a 26 episode compilation?? Distilled rerruns?? It sounds like a bad soup de jour at a greasy spoon diner. I'm getting indigestion already.
I guess these means one of three things. Nahm is taking an extended vacation. Or Nahm quit and they haven't found anybody to replace him. Or they decided to see how much money they can make without actually producing any new product.

The latter, one would think. A gray hair Nahm introduces the rerun. A younger Nahm without DT's performs unspeakable atrocities to large piles of perfectly good wood, using normal sized Delta stationary tools and PC handholdables.

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that he was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself and his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books, woodworking shows, etc. Good for him!
John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him enough free time. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Kind of like the preacher who only works 1 hour per week, eh? :-)

Same kind of job too... catering to the followers... ;~)
John
Leon wrote:

Leon;
You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.
Dave N
David G. Nagel wrote:

I'm thinking Leon was being funny. Like my comment after his.

"David G. Nagel" wrote

And you "obviously have absolutely no concept of" the word 'facetious', or recognize when it bites you in the butt ... look it up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

*still chuckling at Leon's facetiousness*
Just the time to babysit the frickin' sponsors would drive a guy like Norm nuts. They want you to make appearances to shill their tools/glues/stains... that is *IF* you want to keep their 'contributions' coming in. No contributions, no show. And those 'generous' sponsors all think they know a little about show- biz and production values. And they all have a girlfriend that thinks she can sing. It's a frickin' jungle out there. The quicksand all around poor Norm. He might like a stain from MinWax WAY better than the one that is made by the show's sponsor, but he can't say anything, to anybody, anywhere, any time. And that deep dark secret eats him up, next thing you know, he starts to talk funny.

*still chuckling at Leon's facetiousness*
Just the time to babysit the frickin' sponsors would drive a guy like Norm nuts. They want you to make appearances to shill their tools/glues/stains... that is *IF* you want to keep their 'contributions' coming in. No contributions, no show. And those 'generous' sponsors all think they know a little about show- biz and production values. And they all have a girlfriend that thinks she can sing. It's a frickin' jungle out there. The quicksand all around poor Norm. He might like a stain from MinWax WAY better than the one that is made by the show's sponsor, but he can't say anything, to anybody, anywhere, any time. And that deep dark secret eats him up, next thing you know, he starts to talk funny.
I'm sure Norm doesn't mind putting in appearances for tool sponsors, or WW shows if the price is right. It's all gravy or icing on the cake for him. He gets his expenses paid for and is whined and dined and probably takes his wife with him most of the time. What a life!!

It would be fun for a while, but after a time it becomes just another job. Traveling is very enjoyable on your own terms, much less so on someone else's schedule. Dinner with friends is fun, dinner with some egotistical loud mouthed bastard that controls the checkbook is much less so. I've done plenty of trade shows and they can be a lot of work, especially when everyone else knows a "better" tool, method, whatever and can get it cheaper. One airport with delays is as good as the next airport with delays.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Travel anymore pretty much sucks. First there is dealing with getting through security without losing one's virginity. Then you get to wait through the flight delays. Finally, there is the joy of sharing your personal space with 150 of your closest friends. Oh, I also forgot the expansive legroom. If you are a 4 foot nothing short person. That feeling is intensified if you are one of the lucky ones who gets a middle seat. Between two people who are much larger than their own seats. At least one of whom either ran through the airport to get to the plane, didn't have time to bathe that morning, or just bought an onion-loaded Bologna sandwich at one of the airport quick-stops.
Yep, traveling is a real blast. Especially for work, where the canned statement thanking you for selecting the lowest cost provider (like you have a choice).

Mark & Juanita wrote:

What's security? <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

Alright, in your situation, flying is probably still a blast. However, you probably have an issue going coast to coast. Hmm, for close-in trips it could be pretty nice.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:05:51 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Keeping that secret is nothing compared to keeping close to the vest the location of the shop...
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Ooooo... we don't know where it is??? Innnnnterestingggg

Of all the people! I found it by using Google Earth and using New Yankee Workshop as a destination. ;~)

Morash Associates, Lexington, MA? Need to get boots on the ground for an up close recon. Morash Associates is a co-producer of the show.