NEW SAW STOP WENT TU

New unit and the motor is NG. They claim that they were having problems with the 5 HP unit in the & HP frame . First of all they have no service unit to check out a one week old unit. We had to provide an electrician and they told him what to do. Could be a capacitor or the motor. They will send both. Now it is very simple test to see if the capacitor is good or bad. Or they could tell him run to a supply house and get one. Very common in a refrigeration supply house. And in a good quality motor shop. Guess this is one way to keep all five fingers. just don't run it/ So now what to do with the delta. Yup some one put a bid in for $100 and the board has not even meet to decide what to do with it. Lets just hope the motor is here thursday morning. Dang if this was a business how would they like to be down for some days waiting for the motor. Mot to mention the person who may have to be sent home till it gets here.

Reply to
O D

A business might still have the old saw.

**
**

B A R R Y

Can you decode this message so that I can understand it?

Reply to
Leon

It is a bit disjointed. However, their brand new Saw Stop won't run. They have determined that the motor won't run.

Saw Stop says that there are troubles with the 5 HP motor. Saw Stop has no service unit.

The organization called an electrician out to look at the motor, and Saw Stop told him what to check. The verdict is that either the capacitor or the field windings are bad. Saw Stop is going to send the capacitor and the case to them.

They are upset.

What I don't understand is why a qualified electrician could not have determined that either the capacitor or the windings are bad by himself. And, if they are in such a hurry, why they can't take the motor to the nearest repair place for troubleshooting. A capacitor is easy to replace, but it isn't cost effective to rewind the coils.

Also, I don't understand why Saw Stop isn't just sending them a new motor all put together.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I am betting that SawStop got about as much out of this complaint as I did. They are probably totally confused.

Reply to
Leon

Certainly if the complainant to them was the same as the poster.

I recall the earlier post he's alluding to w/o mentioning or providing any background/context though -- he's from the club in FL(?) got the new Sawstop and was bitching that some other member wants a steal on the current Unisaw. He's got that all mixed up w/ a confusing narrative of an apparent problem...

--

Reply to
dpb

I think that I understood the OP correctly, but as confusing as the post is, I am not positive. My post was just one of many ways to understand what has happened.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Saw stop will not allow you to do any thing to it with out voiding the warrantee. Has a box in there that if open warrantee is void. They are sending new motor and new capacitor. But the co has no mechanic to install. Why can't they just make it so all parts are run thru woodcrafters. That is where it was bought. And if they knew of a problem why did they not notify the dealers who had these in stock. Hope they will run till the warrantee is up they your on your own. In short the saw stop should be able to give better service than this for the money they cost. This is not a nema frame motor so you cannot go to your local baldor motor dealer and buy a new one. Understand the safety part is somehow connected inside their motor

Reply to
O D

No other home/small shop equipment manufacturer does, either. If you think it's pricey now, see what it would run if had to support an onsite service department as well.

Can't speak for their business model -- Woodcrafters is basically just a retail outlet so wouldn't expect them to be service center necessarily, anyway, either.

I have seen a review or two that has mentioned motor problems. Does seem as though they do have a QC issue. I suspect as you point out later on that it has to do with the modifications for the trigger sensing and actuation mechanism, not simply a motor problem. Motors are too straightforward and standard for that to be a likely culprit imo. The rest is, however, new technology and they're still pretty new on the manufacturing side of things so I'm sure they're pretty far to the left on the learning curve so far...

Don't know what you want better as far as service that I think would be reasonable -- I don't agree that onsite support is a reasonable expectation despite the cost -- after all, they're not that much more than a new PM or top-end Unisaw and you don't expect them to show up at your shop do you?

All I've heard of Sawstop is that they are making a good product and that they seem to be trying so I suspect they'll make it good...

My recommendation is "chill"...and maybe the club ought to keep the Unisaw for a while... :)

Reply to
dpb