New router opinions......

Page 2 of 2

you are right. . .it doesn't. Didn't the Router Workshop use that beast some time back?
--
SwampBug
"Robatoy" < snipped-for-privacy@BULLtopworks.ca> wrote in message
Yes. That's what they used to use before Porter Cable out spent them in sponsorship.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've got the 1617. I really like it. It's light, feels good in the hand, plunges really smoothly. I've put a rectangular subbase on the non-plunging base for use in a table. It's doubled as a 2" jointer, and I've used 3" roundover bits in it.
However, I had to get the power switch replaced last year and now it's died again. Covered both times (this last one under my credit card warrenty) but it's the one disappointment I have with this router.
Chris

Not sure what the 1617 Bosch can be had for but Craftsman 26620 (same as the Bosch 1617) $219 goes on sale quite often for $199 and when the Craftsman Club features that it's another ten percent off that. Got mine on Craftsman Club special (plus my retiree discount, he, he), had to watch their specials for about 6 months before they featured it. The last time they featured it was back in November so they might run it again by spring. RM~
PS, When I was shopping, I think Amazon was the best price on the Bosch considering free shipping and no sales tax.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This may take you in a direction you hadn't planned, but I would recommend considering the mid-sized Festool. It may take a while for the pain of paying for it to wear off, but for many years you will have a tool that is a real pleasure to use every time you pick it up.
PDX David
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As one other poster mentioned, the Bosch's have problems with their switch. Mine went out once under warranty. Also, and mabye this is a general router comment, but the sub-base never quite centers. If I use the centering cone to center the sub-base, then the outside of the sub-base is not centered. I even sent it in to Bosch under warranty to have them look at it, but it came back the same.
I wouldn't buy another Bosch router, although I am happy with the other Bosch equipment I own.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

Look at the Dewalt 621 plunge router. Hogging out deep or wide dadoes in one pass is probably not a good idea - both in terms or heating the bit and finish of the edges. Same goes for doing molding with a router. Most plunge routers have a 3 step "turret" which lets you make cuts in 3 passes with some DOC control.
The DW621 has a nice smooth plunge action, a dust port in one of the plunge columns that actually works - and pretty well at that. One wrench bit changing is also a godsend - hate the PC two wrenches approach. The base of the DW621 has two FLAT sides- much easier and more accurate than a less than well centered round base - ala PC. Has variable speed as well - if you're planning on using larger diameter bits - you need lower RPMs. DW621 also has semi-micro adjustment for depth of cut.
If you're going to use it hand held - check Pat Warner's site for a nice thick - BIG roung base for the DW621 - it's a little tippy on some cuts - like around a corner.
I've got and regularly use both of my 621s - one hand held, one in my router table. Getting use to the trigger and trigger lock on one handle and a depth lock on the other takes a few minutes to get used to but not having to take your hands off the handles is really nice.
charlie b
The charlie b entity posted thusly:

I recently picked up a 'house brand' router that I believe is a DeWalt 625 or VERY similar. It's a 15 Amp, with two flat sides on the base, has the same depth post setting method, etc.
It's a Power Fist, house brand for Princess auto. Paid $77 Cdn for it. I think it will work fine once I get the garage wired and stop trying to use 12 Amp extension cord to power it. :-)
Anyone know for sure if this is a rebranded DeWalt 625?

I very much doubt it Oleg. You've most likely bought a Chinese knockoff and Princess Auto is well known for selling poor quality clones of popular tools. I'm not criticising or attacking you for buying it, but I'd be very wary of *anything* bought from this company. Just my opinion.
The Upscale entity posted thusly:

I know exactly what you mean. I have had both good and bad luck buying from Princess Auto. I'm hoping that this will make a reasonable table mounted unit a second table setup.
At that price, more likely a Chinese knockoff. May work just fine though.

I couldn't find a picture of a Power Fist router through Google, but my DeWalt 625 only has a flat side on one side of the base.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Did you happen to see the early 80's movie "Top Secret"? <G>
A few scenes in the movie involved a Sawzall with the blade replaced with a fist...
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:41:32 GMT, B a r r y

Yup, I did indeed. Now excuse me while I go put galoshes on the cow.