New Rikon 18"-er Bandsaw Update

I have been messing around with my new bandsaw (Rikon 10-345) and fine tuning the guides and the heavy vibration that I had initially is gone. Just a gentle hum now. My thrust bearings were set to far forward and they were trying to push the blade forward as it ran and caused it to vibrate like a mo fo.

This is an awesome machine. I was a little discouraged when I read people knocking this saw, but I think it does great job.

The top wheel does have a little flex in it when you grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock, but I don't see it effecting the blade at all. I first heard about this grab at 3 and 9 o'clock from the Laguna video I ordered when I was considering there saw. Mr. Laguna states in the DVD that you should not buy a band saw if the upper wheel wiggles when grabbed at 3 and 9 o'clock. I am convinced now that this is nothing short of a marketing gimmick.

I bought and installed a 1/4" Timberwolf blade from Woodcraft tonight and so far it performs excellent.

Reply to
stoutman

When I say "flex" I do not mean "bend". Poor choice of words.

It rocks a little.

Reply to
stoutman

Snip

Mr. Laguna states in the DVD that you should not buy

In defense of the top wheel rocking left and right, mine rocked left and right when the saw was running ultimately causing the blade to move forward and backwards. I really do not think it is a marketing ploy that is unfounded. Timberwolf advised me that the wheel should not rock and they "the rep" was somewhat amazed that a new saw including the 18" Delta would do this. It was after this that I learned that Laguna and MiniMax both also recommend a top wheel that does not rock back and forth. Strangely MiniMax indicates that you really do not need to use guides on a good saw. That said, IMHO this is probably only a problem if your blade walks around front to back in the guides. Good luck with the saw.

Reply to
Leon

Seems like an awful lot of machine for such a small blade..... :-)

I've got a 1" TW on mine with a slight vibration. I think this is more to do with the blade than the saw since everything on the saw seems to be running smoothly.

When you do put on a bigger blade let us know how it runs/performs.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

My point is that "gyroscopic precision" can be above and beyond what is required for the machine to run properly.

It's like putting a 5hp motor on a bandsaw and stating "Don't consider buying a bandsaw unless it has a 5 hp motor".

A 5hp motor isn't necessary and neither is "gyroscopic precision".

Reply to
stoutman

Stoutman wrote:"My point is that "gyroscopic precision" can be above and beyond what is required for the machine to run properly."

My point exactly. As in: "trying to use" gyroscopic precession. Tom

Reply to
tom

And not "precision, but "precession", where, when an object is rotating, and a force is applied at some point, the manifestation of that force is at 90 degrees to the applied force. Tom

Reply to
tom

Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the update.. By the way, I hope you didn't take my posts as crapping on the Rikon. I'm happy with it. I think it's an excellent value. I could justify buying it for occasional hobby use, but I couldn't justify a Laguana, even though I'm sure Laguana is a dream saw.

I just wanted to post some of the down sides of the Rikon in my review, because before I purchased one, I found nothing but glowing reports on it in this group. I just wanted to present some of the trade offs.

I think it's a good saw. The fence sucks, but it's a good saw. Totally awesome for cutting bowl blanks, which is what I use it for 90% of the time.

Reply to
bf