New Ridgid Tablesaw

Has anyone checked out the new *contractor's* tablesaw from Ridgid? I saw it today when I was at HD.

It looks like it's supposed to replace the old cast iron TS3650. Did I mention it's GRANITE topped! (I'm a newbie, so I found that a tad impressive...) It's also got a new fence system & redesigned Herc-U-Lift.

Didn't have time to give it more than a passing look/see but one thing I did notice was the top was already chipped.

Hmmmm....

Reply to
CW

Update: The TS3660 apparently has not been phased out. Good thing too (or so it seems) since the warranty on this new one is only 3yrs....

CW

Some upscale table saws now feature granite, Steel City, maybe?. Personally, I would rather deal with a bit of rust on my cast iron than a chip in granite. Maybe an epoxy repair kit should be included with stone tops. Note that machine shops using granite surface plates tend to baby them with covers, etc. For sure, granite is a better choice than aluminum for a table saw and much better than marble for a tombstone.

Reply to
Joe

Some upscale table saws now feature granite, Steel City, maybe?. Personally, I would rather deal with a bit of rust on my cast iron than a chip in granite. Maybe an epoxy repair kit should be included with stone tops. Note that machine shops using granite surface plates tend to baby them with covers, etc. For sure, granite is a better choice than aluminum for a table saw and much better than marble for a tombstone.

Well there ya go.

Buy a granite topped saw, and when you die, recycle it into a tombstone! Build a coffin to go with it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

register them, then you get the life time warranty.

In addition to the 3-Year Limited Service Warranty currently included with RIDGID® Brand Hand Held Power Tools Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools, purchasers of these products may elect for a limited time to receive a free Lifetime Service Agreement. To accept this Lifetime Service Agreement, you must register your product and submit proof of purchase as described below. The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGID® Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service and free replacement parts subject to the limitations set forth below.

The Lifetime Service Agreement is available free of charge, for a limited time on all RIDGID® Brand hand held power tools, stationary power tools and pneumatic tools, subject to the terms and conditions stated below. Customers have 90 days from date of purchase to register tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement.

Reply to
Leon

There's also the part: "HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE

To obtain service for this RIDGID tool you must return it, freight prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and stationary power tools. "

The closest service center to me is "Jack's Lawn Mower Service". I don't know if I'd like a lawn mower mechanic trying to fix my table saw.

Shipping a 452 lb saw with a fragile top could be quite expensive.

Reply to
Nova

What do you folks think; did they try to cut costs with the switch away from C.I. or is it just too sexy for their saw (sorry 'bout that one.)? I don't know what granite goes for so I could be waaay off. I noticed that the table is a few inches shorter too. Is that in reference to the limit of strength of granite? I'm glad that I have my 3650, bum arbor included!

Reply to
C & E

WTF?

That makes NO sense whatsoever. Might as well use glass and get the destruction over with in a hurry.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dave, doncha know, granite is taking over. First there was kitchen countertops. Next table saw tops. Soon all office desks will be granite topped. It is a conspiracy of the granite cabal.

But not to worry. Robatoy can upgrade you to a new bigger, thicker piece of granite for your tablesaw. Or even some of that fake countertop material he sells.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Why in Jed's name would you ship a table saw for service? ??? The complex wiring is neatly encased in a fan cooled metal enclosure. The arbor and trunnion... I guess I would just ship that if they turned out to be bad.

Oh, and think what the "lawn mower mechanic" might think of having to work on your tablesaw. Rocket science probably wasn't covered in his tech school education.

Reply to
MikeWhy

: But not to worry. Robatoy can upgrade you to a new bigger, thicker piece of : granite for your tablesaw. Or even some of that fake countertop material he : sells.

My SYB has a niece whose husband sell that fake countertop stuff for Le Grande Orange and I've been trying to get him to fork up a piece big enough to make a router table out of.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
NuWave Dave

Because the lifetime service agreement reads "you must return it"?

Reply to
Nova

Well yeah, if you want it fixed, you gotta get it back to them. I don't know if too many brands where they come to you to pick up the tool to repair it. I was the repair guy with Jet even though the repair center was only 6 miles away.

Reply to
Leon

Actually Jack's Lawn Mower Service is a bigger out fit than it sounds. They service a lot of equipment. Living in Houston, Jack's was the only place that I could talk to and get the correct parts to repair a Speed Air compressor that was 8 years old. I did the repairs after getting the parts from them. Granger could not provide the parts I needed and Speed Air is their brand.

Reply to
Leon

Oddly I know of 3 brands offering granite tops. Steel City was the first IIRC. Add Ridged and Craftsman.

I can see the advantages, no rust, "flat" top that stays that way, and mass for a smother running machine. Disadvantages, chipping or breaking, virtually no modifications to the granite, you may never be able to change fences, no magnets will stick to it so many new feather boards and jigs are out.

Reply to
Leon

You might want to talk to an installer and get a sink cut out. My neighbor had his counter tops changed out after I redid his cabinets. He use the locally available, SyleStone, located on the south belt. They don't install but can recommend an installer. I bet you could call them and see if an installer could get you a cut out. My neighbor ended up with a decent sized chunk IIRC.

Reply to
Leon

NuWave Dave wrote: ...

... Sink cutouts should be pretty easy to come by altho most around here shape them and leave them as cutting boards as a "feature service" kind of goodwill thingie.

The bulk of those are only 1/2" material thickness and not all that rigid though so not quite as good a material as it seems on first blush has been my experience. For smaller pieces it's fine; not quite strong enough in bigger or for larger routers, at least w/o supporting structure.

--

Reply to
dpb

Just throw it away and buy a new one, then. How dare they give you a lifetime warranty.

And those stupid lawn mower mechanics, yeah you can't trust those guys. I mean, a table is complicated.

What's a lawn mower anyway, but an engine moving a blade in a circle real fast? That's nothing like a table saw.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Seems like a lot of benefits to give just to keep from having to clean and wax it.

Reply to
-MIKE-

A flat top and less vibration go a long way in improving accuracy. I'd say granite would be the superior surface if you are willing to take the precautions, find other ways of using jigs and buy with a good fence to start with.

For me no. I don't baby my tools.

Reply to
Leon