New Ridgid Tablesaw

Page 1 of 5
Has anyone checked out the new *contractor's* tablesaw from Ridgid? I saw it today when I was at HD.
It looks like it's supposed to replace the old cast iron TS3650. Did I mention it's GRANITE topped! (I'm a newbie, so I found that a tad impressive...) It's also got a new fence system & redesigned Herc-U-Lift.
Didn't have time to give it more than a passing look/see but one thing I did notice was the top was already chipped.
Hmmmm....
Add pictures here
✖

Update: The TS3660 apparently has not been phased out. Good thing too (or so it seems) since the warranty on this new one is only 3yrs....
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Table-Saw/EN/index.htm
Add pictures here
✖

Did you read that warranty? The warranty is 3 years on all tools unless you register them, then you get the life time warranty.
In addition to the 3-Year Limited Service Warranty currently included with RIDGID® Brand Hand Held Power Tools Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools, purchasers of these products may elect for a limited time to receive a free Lifetime Service Agreement. To accept this Lifetime Service Agreement, you must register your product and submit proof of purchase as described below. The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGID® Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service and free replacement parts subject to the limitations set forth below.
The Lifetime Service Agreement is available free of charge, for a limited time on all RIDGID® Brand hand held power tools, stationary power tools and pneumatic tools, subject to the terms and conditions stated below. Customers have 90 days from date of purchase to register tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

There's also the part: "HOW TO OBTAIN SERVICE
To obtain service for this RIDGID tool you must return it, freight prepaid, to an authorized RIDGID service center for hand held and stationary power tools. "
The closest service center to me is "Jack's Lawn Mower Service". I don't know if I'd like a lawn mower mechanic trying to fix my table saw.
Shipping a 452 lb saw with a fragile top could be quite expensive.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Why in Jed's name would you ship a table saw for service? ??? The complex wiring is neatly encased in a fan cooled metal enclosure. The arbor and trunnion... I guess I would just ship that if they turned out to be bad.
Oh, and think what the "lawn mower mechanic" might think of having to work on your tablesaw. Rocket science probably wasn't covered in his tech school education.
Add pictures here
✖
MikeWhy wrote:

<snip>
Because the lifetime service agreement reads "you must return it"?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Just throw it away and buy a new one, then. How dare they give you a lifetime warranty.
And those stupid lawn mower mechanics, yeah you can't trust those guys. I mean, a table is complicated.
What's a lawn mower anyway, but an engine moving a blade in a circle real fast? That's nothing like a table saw.
--

-MIKE-

✖
-MIKE- wrote:

My point exactly. Who's going to haul a 452 lb. table saw in for service.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Is it common for other manufacturers to come to your house and fix it? You're left with the option of buying another saw and.... hauling it to your house. Then getting rid of your old saw which means... hauling it away.
Seriously though, if the only issue is weight, I'm thinking they would let you disconnect the top and leave it at home.
--

-MIKE-

✖
-MIKE- wrote:

If my saw breaks I'll fix it myself.
Ridigid's "Lifetime Warranty" for large stationary tools, due to the fact they have to be returned, bothers me when sited as a valid reason for purchasing their tools as it's virtually useless.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

I'm with you on that.
--

-MIKE-

✖

I'd venture to say that you bringing it in means that they are not coming out to do the repair. Jet sent me a start capacitor and eventually a new motor for my cabinet saw when it was still under warranty. I did all the leg work. Fine with me except the part with me lifting that honking motor into place under the table. I only had to return the big parts, I would imagine that Ridgid would work with you accordingly. Oddly the problem with the motor was normal, most all cabinet saws start off with a hard thump, that is what we were trying to fix.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

I don't own any Ridgid power tools so I can't say, but the way the warranty is worded it would seem the only way they will honor the warranty is to return the toll to an authorized service center with your receipt in hand.
I do own a number of Ridgid's pipe tools. The warranty for these hand tools (threader and pipe wrenches), on the other hand, tells you to return them to the place of purchase for repair or replacement at Ridgid's Tools option.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I think you have a valid point. And it probably should also be pointed out , that the "Lifetime Waranty" is not bumper-to-bumper -- there are restrictions.
Now, I do own a couple Ridgid tools and I've been more than pleased. No problems whatsoever. And while I expect that my TS will continue perform well and last forever -- should it break -- I can't see shipping it off, only to have some repair guy tell me that the problem's not covered by warranty. And then charge me for repairs and return freight.
So I suppose it's a good thing for me that the nearest service center is only a 1/2 hr away.
Add pictures here
✖
Yeah, I know this is an ancient thread, but...
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:32:33 GMT, the infamous Nova

Ditto, whenever possible, Yack. But I want them to pay for parts and shipping.

Many large item mfgrs allow you to return them to the dealer you bought them from and their trucks will pick them up. Check with yours before buying. Also, disassembly and returning the broken part with pics should be allowed.
--
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.

Actually Jack's Lawn Mower Service is a bigger out fit than it sounds. They service a lot of equipment. Living in Houston, Jack's was the only place that I could talk to and get the correct parts to repair a Speed Air compressor that was 8 years old. I did the repairs after getting the parts from them. Granger could not provide the parts I needed and Speed Air is their brand.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

"Jack's Lawn Mower Service" in the Buffalo area is just a small shop selling and servicing "outdoor power equipment" (quoted from their web page).
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Either they are not the same Jack's or they need to update their web page.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

I doubt that it is. Here's the Buffalo area web site:
http://www.jackslawnmower.com /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Yeah, absolutely a different Jack's than the one I used. LOL
I may have been a "bit " mistaken in the name but here is where I bought my compressor parts, good to know anyway.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/index.html
and,
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/do_it_home.html
If you Google Jack's small engine, you will come up with several possibilities. Most of the ones that come up in my search have different web pages however the Logos associated with the name are the same.
I am on their e-mail list and IIRC it comes in as Jack's lawn mower service, but is not the one you are referring to.
Add pictures here
✖