New Project

Page 2 of 2

Having some problems with my newsreader. I will try this one more time. These are my opinions only! Ya wanted comments, so here goes. ;-)
1) I find those flat screen furniture that hide the screen to be big, bulky and not that interesting. If you are gong to a fancy display to show off that big ass TV, display it proudly! Show it off. Just give it a wipe down now and then to keep the dust away.
2. The idea of dark around the screen is good. It is easier on the eyes.
3. Want to hide the other components? You may need to see them to operate them. Changing channels, etc. is much easier if you can actually see the display.
4. Make it remote friendly. I had to modify a couple entertainment centers when folks who were sitting in their easy chair could not activate the components that controlled what was up on that big screen. On one such job, I had to cut out much of one side of the opening to allow access to the infrared ports on the cable box and DVD player. On another, I drilled some holes. Neither were very attractive. Just functional. But they had too much money into everything to pay for something custom or nice.
5. To continue the past point, make everything future upgrade friendly. I just replaced my cable box a few days ago. It was smaller and the infrared port was on the opposite side. I had to reposition the box and angle it slightly. The opening allowed this. But I had to put a block under it. Or stand to use the remote.
Sooooo....., You need remote access now, and into the future. Plan, and build accordingly.
6. And speaking of remotes, here is an idea. I saw this a couple of times. Why not a custom "cabinet" for the remotes? Ideally something that would allow you to "put it away" after use. Ya know, to keep the dust off of them. I never met a remote that did not get dirty and dusty. And they get misplaced from time to time. Create a nice little "home" for them and they tend to stay healthier, cleaner and accessible. Maybe a place to put drinks down as well. Or the TV guide, etc. A dedicated cabinet that takes care of all your need by the easy chair while viewing your favorite programs.
7. One of my pet peeves about big cabinets for electronics is that they often become junk collectors. People stack all kinds of crap on them. Use this for the electronics and nothing else. If you need to store something, stash it away inside a drawer or cabinet. Keep the overall appearance clean and uncluttered. Out of that context, try to design it so that is a shortage of available space to stack crap on it that doesn't belong there!
I gotta run. That is all I could think of off the top of my head. (To maintain your wrec credibility, you need to use at least 432 dominoes on this project!) :-)
On 8/30/2013 12:49 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I have DirecTv. With their box you can get an RF remote. Fantastic that you don't have to aim it or be in line with anything. Check to see if that is available for your main components.

All my gear is in a 19" EIA computer rack (APC, ivory, with smoked glass front panel) in a completely different room from the display. A simple IR receiver/RF transmitter and RF receiver/IR transmitter works well to tunnel the remote from the viewing room into the equipment room (and the smoked glass panel doesn't block the IR signals).
DAGS: IR Remote Extender

Our current setup has dark tinted glass doors. We are tired of the seeing the equipment lights shining through the glass doors and really don't have a good alternative location.

I have the latest Genie DVR/DirecTV. Unfortunately it only uses the latest miniature RF remote. The older RF remotes will not work on the actual DVR. They, the RF remotes, do work on the clients in the bedrooms however.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

An easy solution for that sort of problem is an IR extender.
--

dadiOH
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

The TV will never be hidden, it will always be visible..and AAMOF in stand by mode it displays a slide show of pictures if set up that way.

Dark but slightly illuminated, with the TV being the only thing on it is a bit too much.

Actually IR lights from the remotes travels through the speaker grills just fine. The doors center material will be some type speaker grill material.. Not sure of cloth or metal yet.

My picture would be worth a thousand words. :-)

We have a FlexSteel powered love seat recliner with center console for remotes on order. :-)

Agreed, the front and center speaker might go on top. Each of the three grilled doors will hide electronics, 8' wide and 6 drawers.