New Project

Page 1 of 2
My wife said that if I built in our entertainment nook I could but a new 70" LED TV. ;~)
Well the price dropped on the top of the line model that I have been looking at and we got the TV at a reduced price, $900.00 off the going price. I got the TV and the savings will pay for the entertainment center.
We are going for a different type look. Walnut panels mounted vertically and floating out from the existing wall behind the TV and a walnut console, for the electronics and storage, that will remind some of you of a 60's console stereo. The electronics will be under the top and behind the front 3 grilled doors. Top access to ease adding equipment and routing wires.
Comments?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/9622250273/
On 8/29/2013 3:36 PM, Leon wrote:

Oops floating panels mounted horizontally.

Groovy man. Now by that particle board and walnut laminate and get to work.
More seriously, seeing the way the panels are configured it seems a natural for some motorized contraption where the TV gets hidden away when not in use and replaced by a piece of art or another panel orsomething

I think I am going to buy a single sheet of 1/2" walnut plywood and rip it in to two pieces. Then paint their edges black along with the exposed sections of the wall. Ill hang the two panels with french cleats along their tops and bottoms.

Funny you should mention that. This particular TV has an option to display "museum type art" when it is turned off. The brightness goes dim and a slide show begins a number of preloaded pictures. Or plug in a USB flash drive and have it display your own selection of art. This feature can be turned off but will automatically shut down 3 hours after turning the TV to off/standby mode. Supposedly there is very little usage of electricity in this mode.
Looks slick, Leon. I hope you post pix and notes as you move through the project.
Larry
On Thursday, August 29, 2013 3:36:31 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

On 8/29/2013 5:36 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Thank you~ I'll try to remember to show the progress as I go. I'm buying the wall panels tomorrow and will finish that before proceeding with the cabinet.

I really like the concept of the console. The only thing I would vary would be to a lighter wood, but I live in the woods in the NW so I'm going to look at it differently. I imagine that having enough light in a room where you live is not much of a concern. 8-)
Mike M
On 8/29/2013 5:40 PM, Mike M wrote:

The dark wood is a concern but this will be tucked away in that nook which is about 20" deep so I think it will only look dark when you are watching TV, and that is what I am after. Originally I had nixed the panels and was going to simply paint the wall flat black. I was afraid that all that darkness would suck your eye balls right out of your head like a black hole. ;~) I have 11' tall ceilings and walls, the nook is only 8' tall so there will still be plenty of light colored paint above all of this and on the nook arced top and sides.

Leon -
The dark wall behind might be good.....think about putting some kind of low-level light behind the TV panel, to provide a bit of a glow, so the dark doesn't suck your eyeballs out.
Also - remember to provide plenty of cooling airflow for the electronics. Don't cook the goodies. ;)
-Kevin in Indy To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

I plan on putting dimable LED ribbon lighting behind the TV.

Currently all equipment is in tighter quarters and have been for the past 18 years, so far so good. The doors on the new cabinet will be speaker grill cloth. And the back will be open.

I think I'd want to have the lower cabinet top fully removable instead of hinged access. I'd use sanded till they're slightly loose dominos as pins to hold it in place.

I had that Idea and had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. Loose fitting would be better, my current dowel configuration requires two people and they have to lift straight up.

I like it. Attractive AND practical. What kind of grill are you thinking of?
I have a couple of far future projects that are rather similar. One is wall mounting a TV in the bedroom; planned to use walnut panels as a frame/background and to hide the wires. Another is an arched niche like yours between the LR and my office. I want to leave the upper part of the niche open so TV etc will go in the lower, need to use a combination of roll up door (for TV) and sliding doors for the rest. African mahogany (khaya) and black. All Sketchupped, gotta finish my current projects first.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 8/30/2013 4:03 AM, dadiOH wrote:

ago for the current cabinet but it was a single center speaker grill. It worked out well. I fear getting 3 separate fabric grills to match considering the possibility of stretch. I was at a Magnolia design center and noticed the cabinets had a metal grill painted black. That would absolutely be the easiest to install but I wonder where to get that type material

You should find something among these... https://www.google.com/#q=perforated+metal+sheet
--

dadiOH
____________________________

YEAH! Thank you!

Actually,
http://www.speakerworks.com/speaker_grills_s/34.htm?searching=Y&sort &cat4&show&page=2
On 8/29/2013 4:36 PM, Leon wrote:

Love the concept, but in my ignorance I sit here wondering what you are doing with audio treatment (speakers) and, with all electronics contained within, how are you dealing with remote control line of site issues? Of course I am aware of hard wired master consoles and/or rf wireless sytems via HTPCs etc, but simply curious as to your own solutions?
--

Digger
Bob O'Dell

I have some pretty good book shelf speakers, rear wall mounted satellite speakers, and a back corner located 12" powered sub. The front book shelf speakers and center leaker will set on top or behind the grills.
IR travels through cloths leaker cloth and perforated metal just like visible light does. I have tested this and there is no issue.
On 8/30/2013 5:00 PM, Leon wrote:

Yep, saw your earlier reply to others with similar concerns.
Thanks for your reply and looking forward to forthcoming photos...
--

Digger
Bob O'Dell