New Power tool line from a name you know

Page 1 of 2
Better keep your eyes open if you are shipping for DeWalt power tools, a look alike tool is about to hit the shelves.
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/cordless-tools/bostitch-announces-a-new-line-of-power-tools.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=jump&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TOTTU_092413&day 13-09-24
"Leon" wrote in message
Better keep your eyes open if you are shipping for DeWalt power tools, a look alike tool is about to hit the shelves.
http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/cordless-tools/bostitch-announces-a-new-line-of-power-tools.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=jump&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TOTTU_092413&day 13-09-24
I wastold Blacl & decker bought DeWalt. Any one know if this is true? WW
WW wrote:

Yes, it is true, and also true is that besides that, Stanley bought Black & Decker, Porter Cable, and Delta.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 9/24/2013 4:23 PM, willshak wrote:

Merger...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_%26_Decker
Ever since B&D went to China, everything with it's name on it that I bought, has broken. From coffee maker to power drill to hedge trimmer, it is all junk. Sends a shiver up my spine thinking what else they can ruin. YMMV.
Jeff
"WW" wrote:

--------------------------------- At least 15 years ago.
Lew
On 9/24/2013 3:04 PM, WW wrote:

LOL, True and possibly before you were born! Certainly before the 80's as their tools were identical except perhaps in color.
"Leon" wrote in message

LOL, True and possibly before you were born! Certainly before the 80's as their tools were identical except perhaps in color.
Leon>>> Before I was born? No way. Born 1927 WWll Navy and sea bees.. WW
On 9/24/2013 8:47 PM, WW wrote:

LOL, I did not know your age but some here that would have qualified. B&D actually bought DeWalt in 1960. About 20~25 years ago. DeWalt started producing power hand tools vs the larger stationary machines. AFWIW DeWalt invented the Radial Arm Saw.
On 9/24/2013 10:38 PM, Leon wrote: ...

And that was the man DeWalt, not yet the company he formed...

I don't understand what's so special about DeWalt? Is there *really* space between DeWalt and Porter Cable to squeeze another line?

I kinda caught on to that too. BUT once upon a time B&D was a quality and reputable power tool and by the way things have seemed to go in the past ten or so years one could say, Once upon a time PC was a quality and reputable power tool.
It seems that B&D power hand tools have been on the very slippery downward slope since they started building DeWalt power hand tools.

Agreed, though I think B&D started going downhill long before they bought the others.

Long before that. I've had some real junk with the B&D name on it.
Don't get me wrong, DeWalt isn't a terrible brand but it certainly isn't anywhere near the top. Porter Cable still have some decent stuff (routers, mostly) but most has slumped to the B&D level. I could see a higher end than B&D but not another lower.
Bostich had a great name. It really is a shame to see it being marketed as sub-DeWalt.

IMHO DeWalt is good but I too feel that there are better brand tools out there. I had some PC sanders that were top notch but that was in the early 90's. I don't think they ever could build a decent cordless drill. ;~) I don't think you can go wrong with Makita and some Milwaukee stuff, especially the corded tools. I have never been impress with Bosch drills and or impacts. On occasion I have used Bosch drills of in the past 25 years and oddly enough had them fail every time I used them. Some where along the line I apparently won a Bosch impact, it showed up on my door step addressed to me shipped directly from Bosch and no explanation. It is the 18~19 volt variety and I previously owned a 12 volt Makita impact. I still prefer the Makita over the Bosch. There was not a job that I did not use the Makita impact until I got a Festool T15-3 cordless drill. That drill has replaced my old Makita drill and impact and Bosch impact. I have not used any of the impacts in the last 21 months. I do have two Bosch routers that are very good and a B&d router from 1974 that is a great little tool.

++1. I too have (and still use) a 1hp B&D router I received in 1972 for my 18th birthday. It's mostly metal construction with just a little plastic for the baseplate and the handles. When I pass by present day mostly plastic 1hp B&D routers in the stores, it makes me want to gag.
I made the mistake of loaning it to my bother about five years ago. To get it back, I went out and bought him one of the newer plastic junk routers and traded it to him for the old one. Damned if that's the last time I loan it to *anyone*.

I recall the first routers that DeWalt came out with looked exactly like that B&D router. Except for being yellow.

40 years +/-, and still going strong.
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5828239038191291490
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 9/25/2013 8:22 AM, Swingman wrote:

DAMN That scared me when you turned it on! I had the sound turned up.

Really? I didn't hear anything, just saw a bunch of the mixed pictures that Karl posts on occasion.
On 9/25/13 8:22 AM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA

:-p
--

-MIKE-

On 9/25/2013 9:41 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL IIRC, I did that, a year or so ago on G+, just to piss you off, Mike. ;)