New poster/woodworker

Page 3 of 4

As an ex-machinist, I have some rather accurate measuring tools. Metric is not a problem. ;)
nb
On 3/21/2016 4:58 PM, notbob wrote:

;~) FWIW you can get tooooooo anal. I don't know how small you can measure but anything finer than 1/128" gets confusing fast with the inconsistencies of sheet goods and milled lumber.
I use a $35 digital caliper that shows thousandths", 1/128" and mm and it is almost too detailed.
I am starting to see advantages of going strictly metric except for one fact. Hardware is very often set up with metric lengths and sizes however I cant tell you how many times I have seen metric instructions indicating to measure fractions/hundredths of a millimeter.
A good example are full extension drawer slides. Almost everything about them is in millimeters except their width, which is commonly 1/2".
Another funny one is Leigh Jigs. Directions to upgrade your current older jig. The instructions on the last page on the below link ask that you drill holes at 4.37mm and 3.57mm in diameter. Aside from that the jig is metric, IIRC.

https://www.leighjigs.com/download/SPDT%20and%20BJ%20User%20Guide%20Dec8%2015.pdf

Sorry. I don't dwnld PDF files proffered in newsgroups. Thnx anyway.
nb
On 3/21/2016 7:55 PM, notbob wrote:

Understood. ;~)
Leon wrote:

So, pdf files can contain viruses???
Bill wrote:

I did a little reading on this, so no need to reply. OTOH, I just updated my Adobe Reader, and it upgraded me to its new "DC" (cloud) version--so the potential for troubles just increased, I think.
On 3/21/2016 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:

Ooops I replied before reading this. ;~)
On 3/22/2016 12:18 AM, Bill wrote:

I have been using Adobe Reader DC since it came out. It is the best version of the Reader in years. You do not need to use the cloud. I have never set up an online account with Adobe to use the things presented. (In fact I do not use any cloud storage service.)
Adobe Reader DC is several times faster that any previous version.
You can fill out forms with out the PDF document being set up as a form. You just comment as text in the appropriate space in any document that is a form.
I get a little frustrated with the new emphasis on the online activities of Adobe, but they have to make make money. However once you are past the opening screen, it works like any past version of Adobe Reader.
On 3/22/2016 8:16 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I found that on PDF drawings generated through Sketch up that I had to change print settings in Sketchup for Acrobat reader, the one that looks really different, so that the drawings did not appear grayed out on the screen and from the printer.
On 3/21/2016 10:55 PM, Bill wrote:

Why do you think that Adobe changes their security settings on Acrobat so often? ;!)
And besides, just because the link indicates that it goes to a PDF file does not mean that it is actually doing that. Extensions can be easily renamed.
Leon wrote:

Yes, but on my computer, a file having extension .pdf is going to be opened with Adobe Acrobat. I have read that if this occurs within a browser, that the browser lends additional security.
Bill
notbob wrote:

Then why bother to even ask questions on a forum like this. Maybe you should just go on in the way that you you to be the best.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Cuz it's woodworking I need help with, not computer security. ;)
nb
On 3/21/2016 8:17 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Actually I did not open a web site myself a few days ago, for the same reason.
On 3/21/2016 8:55 PM, notbob wrote:

From a stranger I'd agree. From the regulars here I'd not hesitate. Your choice, your loss.

Your opinion.
Not having been here long enough to know exactly who "the regulars" are, I jes went to the website.
nb
notbob wrote:

Better safe than sorry when you're new I guess, but if you hang out here long enough you'll figure out who you can trust quickly enough.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 3/21/2016 9:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Then download it from here.
https://www.leighjigs.com
While there has been some discussion of virus problems with PDF files, for the most part they are inactive files, and very rarely do you have problems with them.
Besides your virus program, (You do have a virus program?) will catch any file that has a virus attached.
Do you download MS Word files?

Not if I can avoid it.
As I sed, I run Linux. Plus I've been on usenet fer more'n 13 yrs. I see myself in this group long enough to learn the regulars. ;)
nb