New poster/woodworker

Your opinion.

Not having been here long enough to know exactly who "the regulars" are, I jes went to the website.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I finally looked up "locking rabbet" joint. Very interesting, but will it work on 1/2" sides?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well if you do not like plastic Kreg pocket hole jigs ( I do ) Lee Valley has it covered.

Markem

Absolutely!

Reply to
Leon

IF you are really interested in getting in to woodworking,,,, don't have a predisposition of a particular material used for something that it is perfectly suited for. There is another poster here that is mispositioned against Jet because of a faulty set screw or something like that, and he has pretty much shunned the brand because of ignorance. I would dare say that the brand is better than what he has produced.

Anyway, keep an eye out for those in this group that "do" rather than give opinions. Those people have a long list of woodworking accomplishments and got there with a good solid knowledge about what they are talking about.

Reply to
Leon

Actually I did not open a web site myself a few days ago, for the same reason.

Reply to
Leon

So, pdf files can contain viruses???

Reply to
Bill

I did a little reading on this, so no need to reply. OTOH, I just updated my Adobe Reader, and it upgraded me to its new "DC" (cloud) version--so the potential for troubles just increased, I think.

Reply to
Bill

Might not measure that close, but getting a tenon just right before applying glue, is .005" or better. Those dial gages might help you adjust a fence for a critical cut on a table saw. They definitely come in handy for table saw alignment.

Reply to
whit3rd

notbob wrote in news:dlb7uoFi1f4U2 @mid.individual.net:

Have a look:

(This page was the top result for "Lee Valley Japanese Saw Set", if you'd prefer to go through Google first. ;-) )

Lee Valley is kinda the woodworking toystore, so you'll probably spend more money than you think. But as a machinist you'll understand.

I love these saws, they're easy to use and accurate. Now, if only I could teach myself to use these saws to their full potential.

Pull saws like this bend and wreck easily, so you must be careful as you're cutting. Take it easy and let the tool do the work. These are not tools that impose your will upon the wood, but rather tools that allow you to bring out the joint hidden in the wood.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Better safe than sorry when you're new I guess, but if you hang out here long enough you'll figure out who you can trust quickly enough.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Then download it from here.

While there has been some discussion of virus problems with PDF files, for the most part they are inactive files, and very rarely do you have problems with them.

Besides your virus program, (You do have a virus program?) will catch any file that has a virus attached.

Do you download MS Word files?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

You may wish to read this

Quote"In general, you should only open files with attachments that you know are safe. For example, .jpg and .png are image files and should be safe. .pdf, .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx are document files and should also be safe ?"

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Why do you think that Adobe changes their security settings on Acrobat so often? ;!)

And besides, just because the link indicates that it goes to a PDF file does not mean that it is actually doing that. Extensions can be easily renamed.

Reply to
Leon

Ooops I replied before reading this. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Given the macros that can be defined, I wasn't under the impression that .docx files were safe.

Reply to
Bill

FWIW "are safe" and "should be safe" are not necessarily the same. I recommend clicking links and downloading only if you feel comfortable with doing so.

Reply to
Leon

I have been using Adobe Reader DC since it came out. It is the best version of the Reader in years. You do not need to use the cloud. I have never set up an online account with Adobe to use the things presented. (In fact I do not use any cloud storage service.)

Adobe Reader DC is several times faster that any previous version.

You can fill out forms with out the PDF document being set up as a form. You just comment as text in the appropriate space in any document that is a form.

I get a little frustrated with the new emphasis on the online activities of Adobe, but they have to make make money. However once you are past the opening screen, it works like any past version of Adobe Reader.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I found that on PDF drawings generated through Sketch up that I had to change print settings in Sketchup for Acrobat reader, the one that looks really different, so that the drawings did not appear grayed out on the screen and from the printer.

Reply to
Leon

quote: "Still, my buddy has a biscuit joiner tool."

For my purposes a slot cutter on a router table is far superior to a biscuit joiner. As the pieces of wood get smaller the Biscuit Joiner becomes less useful. Also with a slot cutter on a router table, you get significantly better precision for positioning the slot.

On the comment "who makes wood cuts closer than 1/64 of an inch (~0.015")?".

Any time you make a series of cuts that result in a closed shape, a

1/64" is not sufficient. I make a lot of picture frames with mitered corners. 1/64" will result in over an 1/8" or greater error in the final joint. This is a significant gap. Even in a face frame for a cabinet you may get a passable joint but not a good joint with a 1/64" error in each cut.
Reply to
Keith Nuttle