New Poplar Plywood at the orange borg

Page 1 of 2
Just an fyi really. Going thru the local orange borg the other day needed some ply for the stuff I was doing and noticed on the far end some nice plywood - closer inspection showed it was poplar veneered ply - $30 a sheet. A bit cheaper than the normal birch they carry and it stains better as well.
Just wanted to pass it along.
Thanks Rob
You can reply to me at r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
remove _ to get the correct address

what thickness was it? just curious, with the $30 price..
3/4" plywood
wrote:

needed
sheet.
well.
I was at one of mine and they had some 8X4 sheets 3/4 thick of birch stacked as high as my head on the floor for $29.95. The good stuff too. Not the 5 layer junk they sell for $45, but the 12-13 layered stuff you see in all the woodworking mags.
Joey

Was just at our locate lowes and HD which were 2 miles apart. Both had the same prices and both(wood) looked the same
3/4 4x8 oak ply & birch ply for 42.95 1/4 4x8 oak ply for 19.99
Wonder if the prices vary from different areas of the US?

A little I'm sure. But the other ply I was talking about @ $29.95 sheet is something my stores get in every once in a blue moon. None of the lumber people can explain why it comes in just once in a while and why it even comes in at all.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:05:42 -0500, "Woodchuck"
Not only do prices vary, but items stocked can vary from store to store.
I recently sat next to a tile backer board and gypsum salesman on a plane. He explained to me that many BORG (blue & orange) store managers are empowered to make purchasing decisions for individual stores In some stores, even a department manager can do this! Some products, especially building materials can be chosen over others based on shipping costs, as the product cost may be identical between vendors.
I didn't realize that stores had this much autonomy, but according to this guy, they do. I always thought that HD & Lowes ran more like a Wal-Mart, with everything coming from the mother ship. They don't. This also explains why an awful lot of stuff is missing from the web, as the web sites are considered stores in themselves, competing against their own brick and mortar brothers.
His current crusade was to get store managers to order his backer board, as they already sell his sheetrock & mud, so they can go on the same truck and combine for shipping and volume discounts.
The Middletown and Berlin, CT Home Depot stores are less than 5 miles from a large molding plant. Guess whose catalog comes out first at the Pro Desk? <G>
Moral of the story? If you ask the store manager, not the guy in the aisle, you may actually see what you want in the store.
Barry
Barry responds:

That moral works for any store, small or large, drugstore, office supply or hardware store. It doesn't make sense to ask the guy in the aisle, unless you know he owns a chunk of the action. Clerks have no power and often, too often IMO, their suggestions are ignored.
Charlie Self "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken
I asked the grocery store Mgr about a product and got "If it's in the warehouse we'll stock it".
On 11 Nov 2004 13:20:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

The Home Depot web site is certainly missing tons of stuff, but the I find the Lowes site is very complete. They even list if the item is in stock at your local store.
On the Lowes site, they ask for a zip code and won't display stuff that can't be shipped if you are not near a store.
The Home Depot site is worthless. I want to be able to check out the price on an item before I head to the store. Why in heck would anyone order something from Home Depot and pay shipping when almost anyone in the USA has access to a store? Home Depot has stores in almost every rural city of any size here in Minnesota.
Brian Elfert

Check out building materials, doors, windows, plumbing, electrical, etc... there's an awful lot missing from Lowes.com, as well.

Exactly. It would often be nice to be able to check specs or prices, regardless of shippability.

I agree, HD's is really a joke but Lowe's isn't that much better for stuff I've looked for.
Both sites only seem to carry shippable items with chain-wide availably.
Barry
Ba r r y wrote:

Check with HD and see if the catalog CD is still available got mine a little over a year ago and update the prices etc. every time I use it. It sure helps me determine when to buy local or drive for an hour into London to pick the stuff up at the nearest HD. Of course you definitely combine that trip with some other stuff.
Rick
Barry notes:

Yup. And availability, without shipping. I've got to drive 30 miles in one direction to hit one Lowe's or reverse and go 35 in the other to hit Lowe's and HD. Either way, I have to go there and look to see if they have what I need, which is OK if they've got it, but a real PITA if they don't.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
Please_keep_it_in_the snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

In my part of the country, Lowes bought out Eagle Hardware. It didn't take long for someone to figure out that "LOWES" was shorthand for "Less Of What Eagle Carried" :-).

LOWEC? Stocked, perhaps?
dwhite
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

Oops! You're right, of course :-).

You are correct that is why online when you search for product they ask for zip code .
We have something similar. Home Depot is calling it "Classic Birch". It's a Chiwanese version of Baltic birch. It's not awful/makes good shoppe cabinets/furniture, especially considering it's nearly as cheap as MDF.
Yes, I know, MDF is dollars cheaper than $30.
UA100
Probably made from the same Russian plys as the underlayment which is assembled here in the US.

If you cut it open, and look inside, is there a ...... ....naah too easy.