New Policy @ AdvantageLumber

Page 1 of 5
No longer "small orders or large" - now it's a $500 minimum. Guess they've gotten so successful they can now forget about the little guys that helped them get there, by spreading the word, etc.
Yes, I'm just a tad annoyed.
But, now I get to try out Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg on my way back from PA on Monday.
Renata
Add pictures here
✖
Renata wrote:

I checked Advantage's web site and it still indicates that they will ship a single board. When I get a chance I stop at their office, check into the matter and report back.
✖

$500 is a lot to pay for a single board though.
--
© Jon Down ®
✖
snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) wrote:

Where does this information come from?
The website still says, in animation on each page, "Need just a board, need a bundle, need a truck load? We can meet your lumber needs."
I couldn't find any mention of a minimum order EXCEPT for milled thin wood (under 4/4). At the top of the retail price list it says there is a 50 (fifty) dollar minimum. I didn't see a minimum on any of the other price lists and no mention anywhere I looked of a $500 minimum.
Either the Web site has not been updated or you've been smoking something strong....
--
Regards,

Benoit Evans
✖
Shameless plug. Buddy of mine has birdseye and curly maple. He'll ship 1 board. I realize this is close to spam, but if not interested, please pass this by. Thanks. Bell Forest Products, Inc - About Us Address:http://www.bellforestproducts.com/about_us.php
Add pictures here
✖
I emailed in an order Monday, didn't hear back, called this morning and talked with a guy who's name I don't recall. Supposedly they'd emailed me back (didn't receive the email).
This guy said they are so busy they only take $500 and up orders henceforth. They haven't gotten around to changing their website.
I mentioned a lot of wReckers are gonna be annoyed, but they didn't seem to think that would be the case.
Obviously they have sufficient orders of $500 and up that the small ones are no longer worth the effort. Which is fine except that I'd venture a guess they're so successful thanx in no small part ot our help. Maybe I'm wrong.
Next thing you know, Lee Valley is gonna come out with a $500 minimum (not!) (I hope).
Renata
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:33:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Renata wrote:

Hi Renata,
I stopped at Advantage a few minutes ago. The person you spoke to was Rob Pelc, the owner.
I also spoke to Rob and he informed me that the decision was difficult to make, but they could not keep up with the orders they are currently receiving. Rob stated that, at this time, he doesn't know if $500 minimum order will be permanent.
I expressed my disappointment in this decision personally.
✖

It won't matter much if he changes six months from now. The small order guy will have found new sources and Advantage can find new "big" customers. Ed
Add pictures here
✖
Regarding Advantage Lumber's new $500 minimum Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I think Rob is well aware of this possibility. If the new policy ends up being only temporary, I'm guessing that he feels his pricing will bring the small customers back.
I should mention that the policy applies to only orders that have to be shipped. There is no minimum order if the lumber is "pick up" (I know their are a few who have made the trip to Buffalo to do so).
I think maybe I'll skip telling my wife the part about the $500 minimum only applying to shipped orders. ;-)
✖

We could have you pick it up and ship it to us. <G>
Barry
Add pictures here
✖
"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

SURE, just send me the CASH with your order! ;-)
✖
That's the nice thing about free enterprise - there's always someone who will pick up the slack. It's their loss not yours, in the long run.
Vic

Add pictures here
✖
Renata, I am surprised by your lack of character by bashing my company. We responded to your email on Monday nicely explaining our policy. We also nicely explained to you on the phone our new policy and that we are working on updating our website to reflect our new policy.
We have not raised our prices in the last 5 years. With the rising cost of doing businesss every company must make periodic changes in order to stay afloat. Rather than raising prices which would effect the majority of our customers we felt it was better to employ a policy of a larger minimum order. The majority of our customers have coupled there orders with freinds to meet the minimum.
I regret that you are "a tad annoyed" with us making an effort to stay in bussiness in a difficult economy. Maybe you could buy me out, I could work for you, and you could then use your great wisdom to show me how to pay the bills by taking $12.00 orders.
And by the way please see if my competators will match my prices, offer access to $250,000.00 in milling equipment, and not have a minimum order.
Not to come off like an "arogant ass" but I am a tad annoyed by your jumping to the gun to bash my company. A company I started when I was 19 years old, A company that I swallowed my pride for and borowed from everyone I know to get going, A company that I have worked 80 to 100 a week to get where it is, A company that has made every effort to satisfy every customer, A company that cares to take the time to post to the Rec.
We value all of our customers and hope that they would rather couple an order with a friend or neighbor (at the same time getting a better deal on shipping charges) than to pay higher prices. I tend to believe that someone that does not agree with my opinion on this has not yet been self employed.
Best Regards, Rob Pelc - owner Advantage Trim & Lumber Company http://www.AdvantageLumber.com / http://www.IpeDepot.com / toll free 1-877-232-3915
snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) wrote in message

Add pictures here
✖
Rob Pelc wrote:

I didn't think Renata was "bashing your company". Sounds to me like he was telling it like it is. You changed your policy, and you have annoyed at least one customer (I expect you have annoyed many customers with this change). Personally, if I was a customer of yours, I would more than just "a tad annoyed", I would be right pissed off with your change of policy. But, since I am not a customer of yours, all this policy change means to me is, I never will be.
Check out Lee Valley if you want a good example of how to operate and grow a business.
...Mike
Add pictures here
✖
Mike, Reneta was not a current customer of ours. She called for the first time and we informed her that we have a minimum order and are currently working on updating our website to show that. I do not see the problem with that.
And as far as Lee Valley....if you are happy paying $17.90 sq. ft for Canarywood, $25.00 for Paduak, and $17.00 for Purpleheart....than good for you. Seeing that I charge $4.75 for canarywood, $3.95 for Paduak, and $3.95 for purpleheart, plus $0.30 per bd ft for surfacing.
Now that is something that would upset me. No wonder they are growing...they are ripping you off and you like it.
Best regards, Rob Pelc http://www.AdvantageLumber.com / http://www.IpeDepot.com / toll free 1-877-232-3915

Add pictures here
✖
Hey Pelc -
Take a pill...
We resell a tiny bit of project wood bought from a commercial US supplier - we don't make money from it - it's a convenience item for our customers. Our prices reflect our costs - that's all there is to it. We're not a wood supplier, and don't pretend to be.
Believe it or not - there are a "few" customers who appreciate being able to buy a small quantity of exotic wood .... even some who don't live anywhere near a lumber store.
You see, we do this because we have this weird idea that all customers are good customers....not just the "big" ones.... as a matter of fact, we've even found that sometimes, "small" customers turn into "big" customers....
Good luck with your new policy, your wonderful sense of customer relations, and tremendously astute strategy to build goodwill....
You're making lots of new friends here....I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use our name when posting your tripe.
Rob Lee President Lee Valley Tools Veritas Tools
(oh - yeah....also self-employed, worked here since age 16, worked 100 hour weeks, and occasionally takes the time to post to the Wreck)
Add pictures here
✖

<snip>
<snip>
Just purchased a new router table/fence setup from LeeValley. Deciding factor between competing quality products from various vendors was Rob Lee's reputation for customer service.
Looks like I've ruled out a potential supplier (Advantage) for wood. If I was buying a large order, I'd go local and save hefty shipping. Getting wood from upstate NY or any other distance is reserved for a small quantity of a desired "special" wood. Since that service is now not provided by Advantage, maybe I'll just drive the 7 hours so I can be a walk in customer ....RIGHT!
Jerry
Add pictures here
✖

SNIP.....
Zing! Lick index finger and mark of one tick mark in the air.
GO Robin.
To Mr Pelc: Quit while you are behing. (shut up , you are not helping your case.)
Add pictures here
✖
Egg-zactly!
Renata
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:51:01 -0500, "Stephen M"

Add pictures here
✖
There's something I don't understand here that I'm curious about. Rob Pelc wrote:
"And as far as Lee Valley....if you are happy paying $17.90 sq. ft for Canarywood, $25.00 for Paduak, and $17.00 for Purpleheart....than good for you. Seeing that I charge $4.75 for canarywood, $3.95 for Paduak, and $3.95 for purpleheart, plus $0.30 per bd ft for surfacing."
Robin, you responded:
"We resell a tiny bit of project wood bought from a commercial US supplier - we don't make money from it - it's a convenience item for our customers. Our prices reflect our costs - that's all there is to it. We're not a wood supplier, and don't pretend to be."
While I realize that this thread is really addressing customer relations and the proper rhetoric of that, it's the economics that has me stumped here, so I'm going to leave out all the emotional stuff and just ask a question about wood economy.
The difference in prices between the same wood (at least you didn't mention any difference) is shocking, to me at least. The fact that, as you state, you're not a wood supplier explains some of that, but 4.7 times as much? Wouldn't it be a convenience to your customers--if less expense may be termed a convenience--to just buy from a source like Rob who apparently is charging much less than your commercial supplier, add your cost then pass the savings to the customer? I can't imagine how that would cost 4.7 times as much....
As I say, however, I'm ignorant of wood economy, so you may have a perfectly good reason that I can understand. It wouldn't be the first time I found myself ignorant of something everybody else knew...
Respectfully, H
Add pictures here
✖