New Policy @ AdvantageLumber

No longer "small orders or large" - now it's a $500 minimum. Guess they've gotten so successful they can now forget about the little guys that helped them get there, by spreading the word, etc.

Yes, I'm just a tad annoyed.

But, now I get to try out Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg on my way back from PA on Monday.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I checked Advantage's web site and it still indicates that they will ship a single board. When I get a chance I stop at their office, check into the matter and report back.

Nova
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

$500 is a lot to pay for a single board though.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Where does this information come from?

The website still says, in animation on each page, "Need just a board, need a bundle, need a truck load? We can meet your lumber needs."

I couldn't find any mention of a minimum order EXCEPT for milled thin wood (under 4/4). At the top of the retail price list it says there is a

50 (fifty) dollar minimum. I didn't see a minimum on any of the other price lists and no mention anywhere I looked of a $500 minimum.

Either the Web site has not been updated or you've been smoking something strong....

Reply to
K.-Benoit Evans

I emailed in an order Monday, didn't hear back, called this morning and talked with a guy who's name I don't recall. Supposedly they'd emailed me back (didn't receive the email).

This guy said they are so busy they only take $500 and up orders henceforth. They haven't gotten around to changing their website.

I mentioned a lot of wReckers are gonna be annoyed, but they didn't seem to think that would be the case.

Obviously they have sufficient orders of $500 and up that the small ones are no longer worth the effort. Which is fine except that I'd venture a guess they're so successful thanx in no small part ot our help. Maybe I'm wrong.

Next thing you know, Lee Valley is gonna come out with a $500 minimum (not!) (I hope).

Renata

Reply to
Renata

Hi Renata,

I stopped at Advantage a few minutes ago. The person you spoke to was Rob Pelc, the owner.

I also spoke to Rob and he informed me that the decision was difficult to make, but they could not keep up with the orders they are currently receiving. Rob stated that, at this time, he doesn't know if $500 minimum order will be permanent.

I expressed my disappointment in this decision personally.

Nova

It won't matter much if he changes six months from now. The small order guy will have found new sources and Advantage can find new "big" customers. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's the nice thing about free enterprise - there's always someone who will pick up the slack. It's their loss not yours, in the long run.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

I think Rob is well aware of this possibility. If the new policy ends up being only temporary, I'm guessing that he feels his pricing will bring the small customers back.

I should mention that the policy applies to only orders that have to be shipped. There is no minimum order if the lumber is "pick up" (I know their are a few who have made the trip to Buffalo to do so).

I think maybe I'll skip telling my wife the part about the $500 minimum only applying to shipped orders. ;-)

Nova

Shameless plug. Buddy of mine has birdseye and curly maple. He'll ship 1 board. I realize this is close to spam, but if not interested, please pass this by. Thanks. Bell Forest Products, Inc - About Us Address:

Nortwoods

We could have you pick it up and ship it to us.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

SURE, just send me the CASH with your order! ;-)

Nova

Renata, I am surprised by your lack of character by bashing my company. We responded to your email on Monday nicely explaining our policy. We also nicely explained to you on the phone our new policy and that we are working on updating our website to reflect our new policy.

We have not raised our prices in the last 5 years. With the rising cost of doing businesss every company must make periodic changes in order to stay afloat. Rather than raising prices which would effect the majority of our customers we felt it was better to employ a policy of a larger minimum order. The majority of our customers have coupled there orders with freinds to meet the minimum.

I regret that you are "a tad annoyed" with us making an effort to stay in bussiness in a difficult economy. Maybe you could buy me out, I could work for you, and you could then use your great wisdom to show me how to pay the bills by taking $12.00 orders.

And by the way please see if my competators will match my prices, offer access to $250,000.00 in milling equipment, and not have a minimum order.

Not to come off like an "arogant ass" but I am a tad annoyed by your jumping to the gun to bash my company. A company I started when I was

19 years old, A company that I swallowed my pride for and borowed from everyone I know to get going, A company that I have worked 80 to 100 a week to get where it is, A company that has made every effort to satisfy every customer, A company that cares to take the time to post to the Rec.

We value all of our customers and hope that they would rather couple an order with a friend or neighbor (at the same time getting a better deal on shipping charges) than to pay higher prices. I tend to believe that someone that does not agree with my opinion on this has not yet been self employed.

Best Regards, Rob Pelc - owner Advantage Trim & Lumber Company

free 1-877-232-3915

Reply to
Rob Pelc

I didn't think Renata was "bashing your company". Sounds to me like he was telling it like it is. You changed your policy, and you have annoyed at least one customer (I expect you have annoyed many customers with this change). Personally, if I was a customer of yours, I would more than just "a tad annoyed", I would be right pissed off with your change of policy. But, since I am not a customer of yours, all this policy change means to me is, I never will be.

Check out Lee Valley if you want a good example of how to operate and grow a business.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike Alexander

Reply to
Mark

And on.

I think that what you may eventually really regret is bashing a customer publicly...or otherwise. You have forgotten the basic rule of retail: the customer may not always be right, but he (or she) is always the customer. And without customers, a retail business is dead.

First, self-employment is irrelevant. All companies need to make a profit. Second, customers are not required to agree with your opinions on anything.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self
[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not if he/she wnats to buys for less than 500$...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Juergen Hannappel responds:

Well, he was suggesting combining of orders to reach $500: I would guess that the customer he bashed is far less likely to seek such a solution now. She may never have been interested, but the possibility existed and has been weakened by his response.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Reply to
PM6564

Too late, you do come off as an "arogant ass". Your website is your link to the public. It should have been updated prior to you making this change. Hopefully soon, the web will be regulated and companies will have abide with what they tell or don't tell the customer just as they would if it was a print ad. There have already been a number of lower court rulings forcing companies to comply with what their web sites say.

But your right, it's your business and you can do whatever you want but I think Renata is completly justified in her response.

Reply to
Rich