New planer advice

Page 2 of 2
FWIW, I got my 733 in 2001 and it has seen "thousands" of bf. I don't expect it to last forever but it has served me well.
I think you got a lemon, and I think that you *can/should* expect to put a couple thousand BF though a lunchbox planer.
-Steve

"StephenM" wrote:

I'll 2nd the above.
My 733 doesn't owe me anything.
Only problem was that eventually couldn't set planer to less than 1".
Called DeWalt tech service, they talked me thru the fix which was to remove a washer on each guide post.
Still runs like a champ.
Lew

Lew, could you expand on that. The one issue I have with my 733 is that adjusting the height (thickness) is upward in the low range take an unreasonable amount of torque. Is that the symptom you encountered?
Thanks,
Steve

Lew's right about Steve being right about the 733's performance. Mine's quite used, and all I've really done to it is knife changes. Steve, apply a little lubricant to the screws where they pass through the planer head assembly. Works for me. Tom

I concur that Tom is right about Lew being right about Steve being right about the 733'2 performance. :~)
"StephenM" wrote:

Yep. Call DeWalt.
Lew
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:25:05 -0400, StephenM wrote:

I'll second that. My ancient Ryobi AP10 is still going strong although it is getting a bit noisy. I don't use it heavily, but over the 15-20 years I've had it I've surely run that much through it. Another woodworker I know also has one he still uses.
Of course, one could say tools were built better 20 years ago, but remember the Ryobi was the 1st "portable" planer. I would have expected a lot more problems than they had.

I don't know where you are located but I saw this one on Craigslist
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/tls/1092970835.html

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Based on the models you mentioned I'm probably as qualified to answer as anyone; I own the Grizzly G0453 and my buddy owns the Jet JPM-13CS (CS == closed stand). And from what I can see the Grizzly G1037 is pretty much identical to the Jet JPM-13...
I think my buddy's opinion of the Jet is mixed; it does the job ok, but it's nothing to get excited about. He considers the molder feature to be a waste; he's never found any need for it, especially after looking into the cost of the cutters (none of which come with the machine). Nor is it blessed with an overabundance of power, but I don't recall him complaining about that. I don't know how well the dust collection works, but I haven't heard him complain about that either. I can find out more from him if you're interested.
I haven't had my Grizzly G0453 very long, but so far I've been very pleased. Make no mistake though; this is a serious beast - it weighs around 650 pounds, and that's heavier than my Unisaur! If you look at Jet's website they also make a model very similar to the Grizzly (the JWP-15DX), but from what I can tell (at a glance) the Grizzly sports slightly better features; the built-in mobile base for one, and all cast-iron tables for another. The Grizzly was perfectly adjusted right off the pallet, and all I had to do was clean off all the shipping grease (THAT was a pain) and attach a power plug and it was making snipe-free cuts in no time. Two-speed operation for allows for both fast and fine-finish cuts, and the dust collection feature works flawlessly.
Also, regarding the Grizzly G1037 and the nearly identical Jet JPM-13; both planers weight just over 200 pounds and have 1-1/2HP motors. I don't know what the cost of the Jet is, but you'll notice the Grizzly G1037 is $895, whereas the 3HP G0453 is only $55 more at $950... And Grizzly is still offering free shipping on that machine right now.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

I've made a lot of molding in mine. I guess if you have a need for custom molding you will use it , otherwise...
The planer tends to snipe the ends of the boards, othewise no complaints.
--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

I am obviously am lucky. My 733 other than a motor brush change and 3 (6)sets of knives has gone through over 500 board feet of red oak and black walnut.I do keep the cuts light though.

Thanks!
Damn good to see a hands on review around here for a change, instead of third hand opinion and Googlespert supposition ... and a well done one at that!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08