New planer advice

I'm giving up on my DeWalt DW733, and want something a little more heavy duty, longer lasting. Not looking for a 20" giganta-planer, but a 13" or 15" belt driven model I'll still be able to get parts for in several years. Any recommendations? I've seen a Delta DC33 on a craigslisting for $500. Not really nearby, but if it's worth it I'll make the drive. What about current Jet JPM-13 or Grizzly G453 or G1037?

Cheers

Reply to
opalko

If the DeWalt is not HD enough for you I seriously doubt you will consider any of the portables HD either. The stationary planers, 15: range an up typically use the same design year after year. They are thickness planers and don't promise a baby's but finish but do what they are suppose to do. I personally have a Delta X5 series 15" stationary planer.

Reply to
Leon

I don't know where you are located but I saw this one on Craigslist

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news:71e5634f-1198-4d2b- snipped-for-privacy@q9g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Hammer Hands

How do you like that Delta, Leon? Isn't that the one with the top-mounted motor and stationary table? My Dad has the Grizzly version of that planer, and I was considering the same model, but by the time I was ready to buy Grizzly was no longer carrying it. My Dad seems to have a bit of an issue with its dust collection efficiency, but that may not be the fault of the planer.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Based on the models you mentioned I'm probably as qualified to answer as anyone; I own the Grizzly G0453 and my buddy owns the Jet JPM-13CS (CS == closed stand). And from what I can see the Grizzly G1037 is pretty much identical to the Jet JPM-13...

I think my buddy's opinion of the Jet is mixed; it does the job ok, but it's nothing to get excited about. He considers the molder feature to be a waste; he's never found any need for it, especially after looking into the cost of the cutters (none of which come with the machine). Nor is it blessed with an overabundance of power, but I don't recall him complaining about that. I don't know how well the dust collection works, but I haven't heard him complain about that either. I can find out more from him if you're interested.

I haven't had my Grizzly G0453 very long, but so far I've been very pleased. Make no mistake though; this is a serious beast - it weighs around 650 pounds, and that's heavier than my Unisaur! If you look at Jet's website they also make a model very similar to the Grizzly (the JWP-15DX), but from what I can tell (at a glance) the Grizzly sports slightly better features; the built-in mobile base for one, and all cast-iron tables for another. The Grizzly was perfectly adjusted right off the pallet, and all I had to do was clean off all the shipping grease (THAT was a pain) and attach a power plug and it was making snipe-free cuts in no time. Two-speed operation for allows for both fast and fine-finish cuts, and the dust collection feature works flawlessly.

Also, regarding the Grizzly G1037 and the nearly identical Jet JPM-13; both planers weight just over 200 pounds and have 1-1/2HP motors. I don't know what the cost of the Jet is, but you'll notice the Grizzly G1037 is $895, whereas the 3HP G0453 is only $55 more at $950... And Grizzly is still offering free shipping on that machine right now.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Yes it is a top mounted motor model. I am happy with it and have no complaints, yet. I might have a complaint when it is time to sharpen the blades. IIRC the motor will be in the way. I have mine hooked up to a 4",

20' clear flexible hose connected to a 1100 cfm dust collector. Hardly a shaving escapes. Dust collection on this particular planer is superior. the planer actually had a 5" port and I had to adapt it down to 4".

One draw back to the stationary planers is that most if not all have the seriated in feed rollers. If you make a very light pass the planer will not cut deep to remove the imprints and that requires a pit more sanding. The trick is to not take a very light touch the last pass through. Unfortunately the depth gauge is pretty much to tell when you are getting close. I very recently added a Wixey planer depth gauge to the planer so that I can dial in to the nearest .01" and not have to sneak up on the cut.

Reply to
Leon

I've made a lot of molding in mine. I guess if you have a need for custom molding you will use it , otherwise...

The planer tends to snipe the ends of the boards, othewise no complaints.

Reply to
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Reply to
opalko

Reply to
opalko

Reply to
opalko

Yeah, I can see that being an issue. I had to disassemble the topside of my Grizzly G0453 to clean up all that damn shipping grease, and that's when I discovered that access to the knives is a snap.

I don't know if the Grizzly had a 5" dust port, but I think my Dad is also running a 4" line to his 1200cfm collector. As I recall, he said it collects fine when he's planing hardwood, but whenever he runs any kind of pine through it that's when it clogs up inside the dust chute.

Reply to
Steve Turner

If you're going to go that route, you might try searching craigslist or eBay for a used (they're no longer being manufactured) Delta 22-540. This was Delta's entry level planer for quite a few years and are fairly simplistic; 12" width, no dust collection port, and no head lock for snipe control. However, they were all-metal construction and built like a tank, and my understanding is that they last "forever". I had one that was about 10 years old, and I just sold it when I bought the new Grizzly a month or so ago. It was loud and messy and unrefined and it sniped pretty badly sometimes, but it was certainly reliable. If I wasn't strapped for space I probably would have kept it...

Reply to
Steve Turner

Reply to
walnutlvr

Don't be intoxicated by the glass like finish, first time you get a nick in a knife and you are back to sanding. It is a temporary condition basically. A thickness planer is not intended to be a finished product machine, it is a thicknesser.

Reply to
Leon

If you want to go this route, I've had the Delta 22-580 for about 4 years - the only problem I've had is the depth scale is now out of whack. Honestly, beyond the first few times I used the planer, I haven't looked at the scale, so that's not a big issue for me. I've run probably 800 - 1000 feet of ash, along with various other hardwoods through it and sharp blades are the only thing it's ever needed. I'd recommend this planer to anyone looking in the 'better quality consumer' range.

Regarding your stripped out screws... you're not using one of those new cordless impact drivers to assemble/disassemble your planer, are you? I have a buddy that used an 18v Rigid on some of his tools, and he kept stripping out the smaller screws - those drivers can put out a lot of torque!

Reply to
Mike

Leon,

Is the Delta X5 made in the USA or overseas? I don't have a nearby retailer to, conveniently, go view one. Seems the average price is about $1400.

Thanks. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thanks!

Damn good to see a hands on review around here for a change, instead of third hand opinion and Googlespert supposition ... and a well done one at that!

Reply to
Swingman

Like about 89% of the big machinery, overseas, IIRC. I got mine for about $1100 3 years ago. IMHO one big advantage that the Delta has is that on mine the mobile base and the fold away anti-pinch roller in feed and out feed extension tables were included.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW, I got my 733 in 2001 and it has seen "thousands" of bf. I don't expect it to last forever but it has served me well.

I think you got a lemon, and I think that you *can/should* expect to put a couple thousand BF though a lunchbox planer.

-Steve

Reply to
StephenM

I'll 2nd the above.

My 733 doesn't owe me anything.

Only problem was that eventually couldn't set planer to less than 1".

Called DeWalt tech service, they talked me thru the fix which was to remove a washer on each guide post.

Still runs like a champ.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett