New Milwaukee sliding compound miter saw?

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone here have one? I'm wondering how good it is.
Max
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 04:47:03 +0100, Max wrote

Before buying a Milwaukee _anything_, consider buying a AEG at half the price and painting it red. That way you'll save Milwaukee doing it for you when they've run out of AEG labels.
I just picked up a gorgeous AEG jigsaw at half list price which is itself about half the Milwaukee equivalent price. Compared both in dealer's showroom. Milwaukee had a torch nailed to it, AEG didn't. Service bloke wandered over and pointed at the AEG. "Same thing" Innards are the same - no "beefed-up" switches, wiring, windings, bearings or home-grown all-American goodness. Same thing. Red or Blue.
No brainer.
Now it might be that someone on here has stripped both down and found that the red BLURFL has a bronze roller-bearinged solid stainless cnc-machined widget in it while the blue one has a blow-moulded polythene-and-snot bearing block instead. II might hear a claim that after 3000 mile of tradesman abuse the Red BLURFL corners better in the rain and doesn't vibrate and leave skid marks on your unmentionables. I know such is often the case with identical-looking casings on rebadged Chiwanese goods. IF I'm contradicted by someone more knowledgeable then I will bow to greater experience and may no longer stand by my assertions, but in the meantime, I'll take my dealer's service bloke's recommendation.
Food for thought, anyways.
If it saves you money, buy me a pint next time we meet.

I always appreciate input. It gives me more room to maneuver. I'll certainly look at the AEG.
Max (a pint on me)

I just Googled AEG sliding compound miter saws and didn't find any. Maybe you could direct me to a source?
Max

Milwaukee and found it to be a very smooth operating tool. I especially liked the ability to fine tune the angle to a tenth of a degree (thought at first it might be a bit gimmicky but it really works). As with any tool it would be nice to actually use it for a few months/year to really see how it stands up. Have also heard many recommend the Bosch. Have used Makita and Dewalt for the past few years and would strongly consider the Milwaukee next time.
Lenny

Thank you kindly. I'm hoping I can find one to do a visual at least. There don't seem to be any around here. (El Paso)
Max
Max wrote:

I don't believe they're sold in the US. See:
http://www.aeg-pt.com/internet/AC_SERV.NSF/frmDistributorSearchGB !OpenForm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Looks like you're right.
Max (back to Milwaukee)

Very interesting. If I'm not mistaken, the AEG cordless screwdrivers our company purchased were from Cooper Tools or one of their sister/sub depts. This company once specialized in hi-tech hand/pwr tools and none of AEGs bigger stuff have I ever run across in a Home Depot or Lowe's. In fact, other than this one item, the cordless articulating screwdriver, which seems to damn near invincable, I've never ever heard of AEG again.
nb

Here's an interesting forum:
http://www.routerforums.com/tool-reviews/6882-truth-about-milwaukee-aeg-tools.html

Yea, it's interesting all right. I've NEVER seen so many, "You don't belong. Register" blurbs in my life. I was able to read three entries and six blurbs. Since the guys making the entries didn't seem to know squat about various tool companies and one holding company, I gave it up.
I've got an older 10" Milwaukee (two years or so) SCMS. I've used just about all those made up until that time. This one is comparable in features and quality to the best of the lot. If there's a new one, I haven't run across it yet. I do know the Festool and at least one other are supposed to be much better. With prices for the Festool upwards of $1,200, it damned well should be better than a tool that cost on the order of 1/3 that much.
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:28:53 +0100, Max wrote

I could have given you a bum steer, after all my diatribe, being in England and all. Only going on what my dealer told me about the total available AEG / Milwaukee ranges here. There's certainly nothing wrong with Milwaukee apart from the huge mark-up on identical AEG stock which I gather will soon be made unavailable, except as the new, marked-up Milwaukee brand.
My experience of direct import (Incra, USA to England) is that it roughly doubles the price anyway. getting stuff from Germany or U.K. to the U.S.A. may be similar.
If this saw is newer than the AEG buy-out, it's probable that there was never an AEG equivalent and as they seem to phasing out the AEG brand, it will NOT be made available under that branding.
Sorry if I misled you but maybe you can still take advantage of the end-of-line price difference on other items you may have been contemplating?

Thanks again for your time. While I don't like to waste money I'm willing to pay the going price for what meets my needs/desires :-). My age, financial situation, and selection of pastimes permits me some discretion in the purchases of what to some might be considered "toys". I don't: Hunt, fish, play golf, gamble (other than certain investments) indulge in alcohol excessively, smoke, or have expensive hobbies other than woodworking, metal working, photography, RV travel, and music listening. I do have a considerable investment in tools and I produce some worthy projects (according to friends and family) I enjoy life.
Max

Hmmm.... a strange reverse of my experiences.
My old company paid $325 ea for AEG cordless screwdrivers, the exact same model Milwaukee sold for $86. I will confess, though, the late great hi-tech industry had an astonishing penchant for buying insanely marked-up merchandise from glossy catalog distributors fielding bobble-boobed sales reps. Another example I recall was the pricing of $190 for the same Samsonite briefcase Office Max sold for $60. As we all know, hoodwinking adle-brained customers is the name of the game.
I will concede that AEG products are exactly the same as Milwaukee. My question is, where do you find them, if not in bountiful babe peddled polished publications. ;)
nb
So much seems to hinge on which side of the pond you live on. I keep coming across bits of kit available in the 'States at reasonable (cheap!!) prices that are either totally unavailable in U.K. or are available at 100 to 200% markup. It looks like the vice-versa is true and we have stuff over here that you can't get over there.
As I've said before one of the big problems is retailers being utterly stupid about international shipping and demanding everything goes super-express expedited priority diplomatic pouch rather than researching and offering the many cheaper options that would net them international orders and expand their customer base. I have previously ranted about Rockler and Woodpecker who are quite happy to sell me a four ounce item for ten bucks but then want another hundred to mail it whereas it could have gone in a padded bag and been mailed for a tenner.
My AEG/Trend/Fein/Festool stuff I got from a local dealer (who advertises on ebay with several user names, Central England) I don't want to quote the name here in case it causes problems with his Milwaukee dealership arrangement. I know he exports back to central and eastern Europe (weird, huh?) so maybe he'll do U.S.A. as well.
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:31:16 +0100, notbob wrote
<snip>

"Bored Borg" wrote in message

Last time I was in Sheffield and tool shopping with my SIL, I was surprised to see that one of our relatively more respected brands here, Bosch, was thought to be a POS by proper Yorkshire lads . They (the Bosch tools) were, however, a different color/colour from what we get here, so we figured Bosch had a lesser grade they pawned off on you POME's.
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

They may have been getting the Skil product with the Bosch badge. ;~(
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

discarded like a cancerous growth and replaced with US or Japanese electronics.
Lucas AKA: The Prince of Darkness.
Lew
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:31:02 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

Funny that it always seems to be those in the colonies that have a problem with Lucas. Many of us here in the UK have now done hundreds of thousands of miles in vehicles with Lucas electrics throughout. Sure we had the occasional blip, the odd distributor that closed up the points a drowned distributor cap, a misfire in hot weather. But it wasn't anything to really worry about. In those days anyone with half a clue rarely got stranded as they soon learnt the skills needed - even some housewives knew how to clout an SU electric fuel pump to get it working again! Worst time for me was an electrical fire due to some bodged up electrics by the previous owner. It effectively took out *everything* I rewired the entire car at the side of the road when I got stranded in a remote town. Took about 3 hours.
My summer car - full of Lucas electrics has now done 6000 miles a year, every year since 1982 and other than points and brush changes, a regulator change a decade ago and the odd lamp, the electrics are those fitted at manufacture in 1972. and <touch wood> everything still works perfectly after recently reviving it from its winter layup.
Hmmm "winter layup?" I wonder, does it have any trouble running in th rain? Couldn't be any problem with the electrical system could it?
;^)
P.S. Its been quite a while since we've been a colony.