New Membership Workshop Opening in Central New Jersey (not really a shameless semi-commercial posting)

Check out

which is slated to open on Monday, Nov. 29, in Hamilton, NJ, in Mercer County.

(That's near Trenton, for those of you keeping track. We actually have four Hamiltons in the state. Don't ask.)

I stopped in today, Saturday, and met Ethan and Glen Garr, who were busy setting up the operation. They seem very nice and likable guys who are looking for ways to bring in more people to woodworking, and make a dollar or two while they are at it.

I personally do not have a commercial interest in the success or failure of their venture .. Yet, anyway. I wouldn't mind trading PR for shop time, though they don't have a need for my services at the moment.

It is a spacious place in an old warehouse, of which we have plenty in the area. They have a dealer relationship with Delta, so there is plenty of big, gray power tools in the shop, including at least five or six lathes, couple of cabinet saws, bandsaw, two planers, and worktables, etc.

I have to admit I am sort of torn about it. I have a basement full of cast iron and it would seem to be redundant to join a place with tools. ...

However, it has space, lots and lots of space. Just the idea of having a place to work where I didn't have to tiptoe, sidestep, slide and contort myself to walk around makes my mouth water. In addition, they intended to have classes on lots of subjects.

There is no way I would ever buy a lathe, simply because I don't have the room to play with it, but that wouldn't be an issue working there. Also, I am notoriuously weak on finishing, so getting more knowledge on that would be good.

And I think my furnace is about to choke to death on the dust.

Then again, SWMBO will have to approve, although she has expressed interest in learning how to use a lathe ... Hmmmmmm....

Anyway, I wish them all the success in the world and they'll probably see me hanging around there in some capacity.

If I had a really good sig file statement, this is where it would be.

Reply to
Larry Levinson

Larry Blanchard

Great news! I've been looking for something like this to open locally for a long time now (the closest one that I'm aware of is the Woodcraft Woodworkers Club in Rockville MD, too far away to be worth it for me).

I rent my house and simply cannot set up anything close to a proper shop, and have been itching to work on some projects for some time now (without the need to inconvenience anyone else by "borrowing" their garage or basement for my stuff).

They (Ultimate Workbench) should put some pics of the shop on their website, though... but at least they took the time to put together a nice, professional-looking site. (Too many people don't bother with that -- I'm an artist by trade, so I'm always turned off by crappy-looking websites.)

I think I'll be taking a ride to Hamilton one night this week to check it out, and maybe sign up for a class or two. Besides, I've been looking for an excuse to go to Triumph Brewery!

8^)

Brian

Reply to
Brian

I visited the Ultimate Workbench last Monday while in Hamilton on my way to Willard Bros. for some lumber. It was their opening day and while they were still stocking their shelves, the two brothers that own the shop, stopped what they were doing and gave me a tour. They have a very large work area with several of each type of machine and work benches.

Even though I would not be joining because of distance and because I have the equipment, they spent about a half hour just talking to me about their plans and the work they put into the old building. They have some instructors lined up to give classes. Members are free to use all of the equipment almost any time and non members can use equipment for a fee.

This is great for those that don't have equipment or space but have the time to get there. Might also be a good excuse for getting away from the house. Also a good opportunity for someone wanting to try out some aspect of wood working for which he/she doesn't have the equipment i.e. turning, scroll sawing etc. or maybe just prepping some lumber.

Though not a new idea, it is a great one and something that has been missing in the area. Wish them a lot of luck and success.

Reply to
Jack Casuso

I finally made it up there (too busy with the holidays to get there sooner!), and I came away quite impressed. Ethan was a really friendly guy, gave me the tour of the facilities and and overview of what they're looking to provide for their members and hourly users. Lots of great tools (plenty of Delta and Porter-Cable) and a desire to help both the newbie and experienced woodworker alike.

I signed up for one of their classes, to begin 1/15, and I can't wait. I've been hoping for something like this to open locally for a long time, and I'll post back with my impressions afterwards!

Brian

PS. The oatmeal stout and the fish-n-chips @ Triumph were excellent as usual.

8^)
Reply to
Brian

Hello everyone, Things, thankfully have been going very well for the Ultimate Workbench. We actually filled our Intro class that started this week, and we only have three spots left for the one starting this Saturday (1/15/05). We have signed up many members, and we have many woodworkers using the shop for their projects.

I wanted to post an invitation to our Grand Opening celebration next Thursday , January 20th, 2005 at 1:00pm. The mayor of Hamilton Township will be cutting our ribbon, and we will have an open house through closing at 9:00pm.

If you plan to attend, please let us know by calling 609-587-3618 so we can make sure we have enough refreshments.

Need directions? Visit our website at

I hope to see you there.

Ethan Garr Managing Director The Ultimate Workbench

Reply to
egarr

hey, cool! sounds like a fun place. glad to hear it's doing well.

how about some shop and projects in progress pictures on your website?

Reply to
bridger

Which I can't wait for! See you then, Ethan.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks, it is turning into a really fun place, and I am thrilled that there has been so much enthusiasm. We are trying to get photos on the website as soon as possible.

Thanks, Ethan

Reply to
egarr

Thanks Brian, look forward to seeing you.

Ethan

Reply to
egarr