New member with a question.

Hello,
I just joined DIY and I have a question on tools. I am considering making my own and possibly selling wood guitar tuner buttons. The problem I have is on the shaft side of the button is a 3/32" x 5/32" rectangular shaft slot with rounded ends.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/Dan1954/buttons-hole.jpg. I was looking at mortising bits but they are just too big. How would anyone go about making this hole? Thanks in advance for you help.
Dan
Dan1954 wrote:

Cutting that would be a bitch. I'd drill the hole oversize, fill it with epoxy and use the correctly sized piece to cast the hole.
I'm not sure how much stress the tuning peg is under, but replicating the plastic insert from that picture you linked to in epoxy would definitely be stronger than a hole in wood and would last longer.
Dan1954 wrote:

Dan, it would be hard for the wood not to split when torque was applied to that shape of hole. I like the round hole idea, filled with epoxy.
Dan1954 wrote:

the shape you want and cuts on the inward stroke, not by turning. You would start with a round hole and shape it with the broach.
I would go with the epoxy fill, myself.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA