New member

Page 4 of 4

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:45:42 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone

Better pull your mukluks out of the cellophane before the scorch, Danger.
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================

Sigh. Time for a beer, methinks.
At a low dive with continuous entertainment, like the Mobius Dick! They whale all night!
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Wow, that was an obscure one, even for a big fan of theirs. :-)
Chuck Vance (Violet Dawn Dudley?)
I do have most of their albums... Giant Rat has always been one of my faves.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:35:35 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone

I understand that he drowned last year. So did my fave coffee beans, Seattle Mountain Sumatran. <sigh>
If I weren't a sober person, I'd switch to a carload of industrial coke.
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================

Yeah, that oil beer goes through you like a hot car...
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:49:55 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone

I don't recognize that one.
P.S: I didn't find any navigation (Firefox, NN7, or IE6) on the woodenwabbits.com site. No link but the word "links."
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Giant Rat, the scene where Hemlock is pretending to be "Joe From Chicago"

Ayup. That's the current state. Change is in the wind, though...
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:28:41 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone

I have the album but probably listened to it only twice or so, back when I was still imbibing mass quantities of anything in sight.

Bueno, bwana.
------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design =====================================================
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Mine too, but I've never run across anyone else who felt the same. :-)
Chuck Vance (who owns everything they ever recorded, and used to have most of it memorized)

See? On the Internet, you can find someone who shares your interests, no matter how ...unusual... they are. This usually applies to a different topic, but it's fitting here as well.
<snip>

That explains a few things.
Patriarch, who has been known to come up with old John Prine lyrics, and most of the Lyle Lovett catalog. MUCH more Neander-appropriate. ;-)
Patriarch wrote:

Not to mention the dulcet tones of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers.     now that was MUSIC,     jo4hn

You mean there was more than one band called the Skillet Lickers? What are the odds... (The only one I knew of was Levay Smith and the Red Hot Skillet Lickers) Smaller world than I thought, I guess.
Prometheus wrote:

This group which featured Tanner and McMichen on fiddle, Riley Puckett on vocals and guitar, and Fate Norris on banjo recorded in the 20s and 30s. IIRC they also had a 15 minute radio show in Georgia someplace. Next up is Uncle Dave Macon and his Fruit Jar Drinkers. :-)
The Smithsonian has some interesting collections of various kinds of music and performers.     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

IOW, "everything old is new again..."

Sounds like an entirely different animal- Levay Smith is one of those smoky-voiced female jazz singers and the Skillet Lickers are a jump-blues band, in the one I had in mind. They came a bit later, so I wonder if they snagged the name from the guys you mentioned. :)