New Lumber Storage!

I finally got around to building a new lumber rack in my woodshop (I took some time off from work to help out with the new baby, but the woodshop was calling me...).

The plans (I'm not sure if you would call what they published "plans", but anyway) came from Fine Wood Working.

It is bolted to the wall using 6" lag screws that goes through 2X4 into the studs.

No more lumber on the floor.

stoutman

Looks good though. Dave

Teamcasa

I like the charm of the "Old Way".

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Well, of course there is. One of my coworkers asked me what I planned on building after my last large machinery purchase, an 8" jointer: "Nothing", I replied, "who the hell can afford wood now?"

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

How come your shop isn't as spotless as the Air Force guy who did the article? Damn, his shop was clean!

I use a similar system, it's worked great!

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

Here is a link to the FWW lumber storage article:

is a little different and not as perty!

Reply to
stoutman

I can't seem to keep a clean shop no matter how hard I try!

I just hope it doen't come down on my noggin!

Reply to
stoutman

Personally, I am not real confident in your bracing. If you notice in the article, the design incorporates angle braces, while your bracing is more of an L brace. The corner brace would provide a lot more strength.

Simply adding a wedge of plywood to your current braces would add a lot of strength.

Locutus

arm made from pieces of 2X4. They are screwed AND glued. They should be able to withstand a significant load. The authors support arm is only reinforced with 2-pieces of plywood (gusset).

A strength test comparison between mine and his would be interesting.

I will take your concern into consideration. More strength can only help and not hurt!

Thank you!

Reply to
stoutman

Correction: 1-brace on each side for a total of two.

I can count I promise! :)

Reply to
stoutman