New Lowes

Actually Mike did do a house in Los Angelas I believe it was, and he also did a house in New Orleans after Katrina. Mike has also done a judge stint of America's Greatest Handyman on HGTV in the US.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

eared to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit > more ge= ared towards contractors. My local Lowes and Home Depot are mostly intercha= ngeable. They carry most of the same items, though Lowes does focus a bit m= ore on "presentation" with nice displays. Home Depot tends to have items in= generic boxes with tiny labels. :) I don't care much for the organization = at Lowes though. Pouring footings for a deck or something? The concrete mix= and metal brackets are on the left end of the store. Anchor bolts? They're= clear on the other side of the store in the hardware section. Installing a= drainage system for your gutters or yard? The fittings and drains are on t= he left end of the store in the plumbing section. If you want the perforate= d drain pipe, you have to go to the other end of the store, outside in the = garden area. Tiling a floor or wall? The tiles and mortar are at the back o= f store. Cement or Hardibacker are at the front of the store with the plywo= od. Most shopping trips for a project require walking back and forth from o= ne end of Lowes to the other to get the items you need. Home Depot tends to= group similar items together (not always!) so it's quicker to get in and o= ut when you're working on a project. Also, Home Depot rents tools. Lowes do= es not. Anthony Watson Mountain Softwarewww.mountain-software.com/about.htm

are laid out in this fashion on purpose. Milk at the back of the store. Me= at at one end. Vegtables at the other end. Raging debate if you should have= some aisles all non-grocery or to mix the non-grocery among necessary groc= ery. It keeps changing over the years. They want you to have to walk the wh= ole store. I wouldn't put it past someone as big as Lowes to try and "help"= their customers notice more things they might like to buy.

For the most part I'll agree with your "Milk at the back of the store. Meat at one end. Vegtables at the other end." description.

However, there is a huge chain where I live that added a cooler section right near the front of the store for milk, eggs, butter, and a limited number of other staples. You can grab a gallon of milk and walk less than 20 feet to the 10 items or less checkout. The rest of the dairy department is in the farthest corner of the store.

The theory: If they can get you to think that you can get in and out when you need just a couple of things, but also find everything you need when you need a lot, then they've set themselves up to be the only place you'll buy your groceries from. They'll be the only place you think of whether you need a lot or a little - even if the next time you need just a few things that aren't even by the front door.

The marketing tactic that I hate the most in the "slow down and look" tiles as you enter the front door. They put tiles with huge grout lines that cause the cart to rattle, shake and make a lot of noise unless you slooooww waaaayyyy down, thus increasing the chance that something will catch your eye.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

sman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically >the same stuff to the tab= le. I believe Mike is a bit better known south >of the border. Well, Mike h= as been in the business (On TV business) considerably longer than Bryan Bae= umler and hasn't, as far as I know, done any TV work south of the border. I= particularly liked his series where he built himself a cottage. Although, = as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies more as a house in every respect comp= ared to a cottage.

Holmes on Homes typical episode synopsis. "Mike finds two grains of mold an= d a loose nail so tears donw and rebuilds the whole haosue to make sure thi= s doesn't happen again."

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

tiles as you enter the front door. They put tiles with huge grout lines that cause the cart to rattle, shake and make a lot of noise unless you slooooww waaaayyyy down, thus increasing the chance that something will catch your eye.

------------------------------------------------------ Sounds like something out of the lawyer's design handbook to keep an unattended cart from rolling out of the store and into the parking lot and hitting a customer vehicle.

Retailers with carts have been busy installing strips that are about

36" wide that contain round discs that capture the cart wheels, keeping carts out of parking lot across the entire front of the store.

This has been going on for a couple of years here in SoCal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

kesman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically >the same stuff to the t= able. I believe Mike is a bit better known south >of the border. Well, Mike= has been in the business (On TV business) considerably longer than Bryan B= aeumler and hasn't, as far as I know, done any TV work south of the border.= I particularly liked his series where he built himself a cottage. Although= , as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies more as a house in every respect co= mpared to a cottage.

and a loose nail so tears donw and rebuilds the whole haosue to make sure t= his doesn't happen again."

Nails are "minimum code" and we shouldn't accept that.

Air behind water! Air behind water! Air behind water!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, in the design I'm thinking off, it it specifically to slow the shopper down.

Here's an excerpt from 'What Your Supermarket Knows About You"

Stolen without permission from:

"After driving for nearly two hours, I reached my destination: a huge, imposing warehouse, with no outward signage, and a vast parking lot full of cars. A friendly receptionist checked my identity, had me sign all sorts of paperwork, and directed me through a door labeled Control Room. It was massive, and resembled images I=92ve seen of NASA=92s operations area =97 row upon row of people staring intently at hundreds of screens, only they were monitoring shoppers pushing carts around the aisles of a supermarket that had been designed to test their responses to different marketing strategies. =93Take a careful look at this lady,=94 said one of the monitors, pointing to a middle-aged woman on the screen. =93She=92s about to enter our latest speed-bump area. It=92s designed to have her spend 45 seconds longer in this section, which can increase her average spend by as much as 73%. I call it the zone of seduction.=94

This particular section of the market was different from the usual aisle. For a start, it had different floor tiles =97 a type of parquetry imparting a sense of quality. And instead of the cart gliding imperceptibly across nondescript linoleum, it made a clickety-clack sound, causing the shopper to instinctively slow down. The shopper=92s speed was displayed at the top of the screen, and as soon as she entered the zone, her pace noticeably slowed. She began looking at a tall tower of Campbell=92s soup, and then plucked a can off the top. Bingo! The sign in front of the display read: =931.95. Maximum three cans per customer.=94 Before the shopper slowly sauntered off, she had carefully selected three cans for her cart."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wonder if that is the purpose or to shake the snow, ice, water off the cart before going farther in the store.

Reply to
Leon

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:27:03 -0700, Swingman wrote (in article ):

I always value Lowes over the Despot because you could get those 10% coupons in the 'moving kits' at the post office. When doing big projects, I'd stock up at the local post office and save a few $100 in the process. I'm sure I've saved a few grand over the years.

Of course now they discovered what I was doing and the moving kits only contain a code you enter at their web site to get the coupon emailed to you.

It only works once, then you have to get creative in creating new email accounts.....

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce