New Lowes

A new Lowes just opened around the corner from me in Toronto, Grand Opening today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 18:00:26 -0500, FrozenNorth

What corner?

Reply to
Dave

Islington/401, south east side.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

ng today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interes= ting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, t= oo many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better sel= ection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will = be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

I find Lowes cleaner and better organized and stocked. It is more geared to= the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towar= ds contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the d= ozen or so different store sites I frequent.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

That's the way it is here also. Besides, being better organized, the Lowe's closer to me is frequented during the daytime more by local DIY soccer moms, who are infinitely better to look at when trying to find a pipe fitting, than by dirty leg subcontractors.

Can be a downright delightful experience in the summer ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

I find they both have their pros and cons. Sometimes one has better stuff than the other.

Lowes is brighter, but choice is not necessarly better, it just depeneds on what you are looking for.

Reply to
woodchucker

I have found Lowes to be more customer oriented that Home Depot. Hence if I have a choice it is always Lowes.

However my favorite store is not in the Carolinas. I loved Menards, and shopped there all most exclusively even though it was significantly further that the Lowes or Home Depot.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

I agree to some extent. I am finding that location location location has a lot to do with how each appears. Two years ago my wife and I move to a more upscale part of town. The Home Depot in that location was a shock to me. Cleaner and the employees more helpful than any other HD or Lowe's that I have been in.

Reply to
Leon

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

THEY'RE (lowes, hd, menards...) all the same and THEY'RE CRAP. No quality, very little knowledge -- the little girl stocking hardware didn't know what a stove bolt was. NO quality at all especially lumber. Lowes ran both ACE and True Value out of business here. Now Menards is going to build across the street from Lowes. MORE CRAP. I HATE EM ALL. thank you I do feel much better now. BUT THEY"RE STILL CRAP.!!!!

Reply to
I HATE BIG BOXES

Thanks for you ignorant replay.

Reply to
Leon

today, Bryan Baeumler was giving a presentation, short funny but interesting talk, Q&A session, then autographs. I didn't stay for the autograph, too many in the line, wandered around the store, much nicer and a better selection than the local Home Depot or Rona store. -- Froz... The system will be down for 10 days for preventive maintenance.

the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit more geared towards contractors. At least in my experience and pretty consistent acros the dozen or so different store sites I frequent.

It was definitely cleaner, but if it was anything other than clean on opening day, there would be something very wrong, much brighter too. I didn't need anything in particular that day, so I can't speak to the stock levels directly, but what I saw looked good, it will take a few trips over a bit to form a better/different opinion.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 00:32:40 GMT, I HATE BIG BOXES

Hey, don't hide your feelings. Tell us what you *REALLY* feel.

Reply to
Dave

At least in my area, the Lowes stores seem to have employees who know at least a little more about what they're selling than Home Depot. At least when I ask for something they seem to know what it is and where it is :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It can sure be location dependent. The Home Depot in N Austin, TX, East of 35 and not that far South from RM2222, has some of the most construction knowledgeable young ladies I've ever experienced in any Borg. A couple of them have more general construction knowledge than most subs. Since Austin is a college town, my guess is that they're either Architect or Industrial Arts majors.

Overall, and unlike most Home Depot locations here, Lowe's employees seem to generally be smarter than the cash registers.

Reply to
Swingman

My local Lowes and Home Depot are mostly interchangeable. They carry most of the same items, though Lowes does focus a bit more on "presentation" with nice displays. Home Depot tends to have items in generic boxes with tiny labels. :)

I don't care much for the organization at Lowes though.

Pouring footings for a deck or something? The concrete mix and metal brackets are on the left end of the store. Anchor bolts? They're clear on the other side of the store in the hardware section.

Installing a drainage system for your gutters or yard? The fittings and drains are on the left end of the store in the plumbing section. If you want the perforated drain pipe, you have to go to the other end of the store, outside in the garden area.

Tiling a floor or wall? The tiles and mortar are at the back of store. Cement or Hardibacker are at the front of the store with the plywood.

Most shopping trips for a project require walking back and forth from one end of Lowes to the other to get the items you need. Home Depot tends to group similar items together (not always!) so it's quicker to get in and out when you're working on a project.

Also, Home Depot rents tools. Lowes does not.

Anthony Watson Mountain Software

HerHusband

If it wasn't for Google, I would have replied:

"Who the heck is Bryan Baeumler and why would I want to go to Lowes to see him?"

;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had to look him up to find out. I think I'd rather meet Red Green! : )

Reply to
Bill

Mike Holmes is the spokesman for HD in Canada, they both bring basically the same stuff to the table. I believe Mike is a bit better known south of the border.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

red to the home owner, more typical retail. Home Depot is a bit > more gear= ed towards contractors. My local Lowes and Home Depot are mostly interchang= eable. They carry most of the same items, though Lowes does focus a bit mor= e on "presentation" with nice displays. Home Depot tends to have items in g= eneric boxes with tiny labels. :) I don't care much for the organization at= Lowes though. Pouring footings for a deck or something? The concrete mix a= nd metal brackets are on the left end of the store. Anchor bolts? They're c= lear on the other side of the store in the hardware section. Installing a d= rainage system for your gutters or yard? The fittings and drains are on the= left end of the store in the plumbing section. If you want the perforated = drain pipe, you have to go to the other end of the store, outside in the ga= rden area. Tiling a floor or wall? The tiles and mortar are at the back of = store. Cement or Hardibacker are at the front of the store with the plywood= . Most shopping trips for a project require walking back and forth from one= end of Lowes to the other to get the items you need. Home Depot tends to g= roup similar items together (not always!) so it's quicker to get in and out= when you're working on a project. Also, Home Depot rents tools. Lowes does= not. Anthony Watson Mountain Software

Well, I know from my marketing and business education that grocery stores a= re laid out in this fashion on purpose. Milk at the back of the store. Meat= at one end. Vegtables at the other end. Raging debate if you should have s= ome aisles all non-grocery or to mix the non-grocery among necessary grocer= y. It keeps changing over the years. They want you to have to walk the whol= e store. I wouldn't put it past someone as big as Lowes to try and "help" t= heir customers notice more things they might like to buy.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 14:39:58 -0500, FrozenNorth

Well, Mike has been in the business (On TV business) considerably longer than Bryan Baeumler and hasn't, as far as I know, done any TV work south of the border.

I particularly liked his series where he built himself a cottage. Although, as far as I'm concerned, it qualifies more as a house in every respect compared to a cottage.

Reply to
Dave