New lathe.. and I actually TURNED something

I finally got the lathe spinning this weekend.. after looking into much of the advice offered both here and in rec.crafts.woodturning
I've been knocking out some pens.. (European Roundtops, just to start) and I have to say, alot of fun to make. will try some mech. pencils tomorrow, make some pairs to box up and sell as stocking stuffers, etc, if the market allows.
My favorite is the one in Bloodwood.. with the maple being my first one.. (didn't want to risk ruining an EXPENSIVE piece of wood!)
http://ottawawood.com/pens/lathe.jpg
http://ottawawood.com/pens/4pens.jpg
Mike www.ottawawood.com
Way to go Mike! Keep on turning! ______ God bless and safe turning Darrell Feltmate Truro, NS, Canada www.aroundthewoods.com

that have caught the pen bug are doing. They have great technical help and lots of support.
I found that a mixture of equal parts of BLO, shellac and denatured alchol give my pens a fine finish that is durable. This is similar to the Hut clear coat, but lots less expensive. Keep'em turning
Karl
I've been knocking out some pens.. (European Roundtops, just to

welcome to the addiction - for pens, if you like exotic woods, my favorite was canary wood, turned cross grain so it woudl shimmer - I don't think blood wood will do that, canary is particularly spectacular for that effect (chatoyance?) happy turning