New Jointer (Pioneer Follow-up)

Hi Group, I just touched up the blades in the 8" Pioneer jointer I just got. I noticed that the blades are laminated (insert) and have two different cutting angles. How critical are the cutting angles and where should I get them sharpened? We have a Woodcraft here also professional sharpening services. I'm going to purchase an extra set of blades. It takes four and I see there are carbide and T1. We're not doing production work so we'll probably go with T1 given the cost difference. I was also checking on a dust hood (chute) and since the base looks like Jet's, Powermatic's and Grizzly's I looked at their plastic hoods. Jet's was $98, Powermatic's was $63 and Grizzly's was $9.75 + $7.95 shipping. Why such a big price difference? Jim

Reply to
James

Name brand...

You can also go to woodcraft and get a plain old hood. I'm sure they sell one.

I am curious about the cutting angles being different. Seems like a decent idea. High angle and lower angle... Might eliminate tear out.

But in reality I wonder if someone sharpened them that way.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Not sure what you are calling a dust hood (chute). My Powermatic has a "chute" built into the cabinet and, as I recall, the hood that attaches to the cabinet at the opening of the chute either came with the collector, or was one of several I bought from Grizzly for $2-3. Powermatic stuff gets a little expensive but I can't imagine any of this stuff being in the $60-90 range. This is what I call a hood:

this is pretty much the way mine looks with the chute in place:

- don't put the "hood" on the dust chute unless you have a collector installed. It will plug the machine up all the way to the knives. With suction it is fine.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Correction - should have said "...mine looks with the hood in place:"

Reply to
RonB

I actually looked them up by the part#'s provided by Powermatic and Jet in the respective jointer manuals. They list the parts in the back. I'll be getting one from Woodcraft. They have one for an 8" jointer that's about $7 and we have a store here locally. Jim

Reply to
James