New Incra iBOX

Page 1 of 2
Has any one tried one of these out yet? It is on my "next to get" list, I think.
Looks to be a decent price, $170.
Looks like one can finally make the box joint fit the project rather than having to do it the ouhter way around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1oP-FnHfo9o

Nice looking product... Really well engineered it seems.
Those teeth look like Steel.. I would have like to see alum so that an accident causes me to replace its locator tooth rather than a blade and locator.
Other than that real nice.
On 5/17/2012 10:07 AM, Leon wrote:

On 5/17/2012 9:07 AM, Leon wrote:

And then there is this! If you want to build it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmrGa_LDxoE&feature=related

http://www.woodsmithstore.com/boxjoint.html

That's the one I built a couple of years ago. It works really well and only took a couple of hours to build. I have used it on several projects with differing thickness pieces and it works very well for all.
On 5/17/2012 9:07 AM, Leon wrote:

What's cool is that it appears to have the "kerfmaster" concept built-in.
Since I have the Woodwoodsmith box joint jig, which works just fine; and the Akeda Dovetail jig I got from Han does box joints quickly and easily, so I probably won't be getting one of these any time soon.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 5/17/2012 9:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

Do you have the aluminum WoodSmith jig? I saw that one plus the one that you build with a kit, that one appears to work like the Incra. I may have to try the $15 kit...once back in stock. I did not notice any plans in past WoodWmith issues which is odd.
Hey a question about Woodsmith and Shopnotes.
I have never subscribed. Currently I am not subscribed to anything so I have some wiggle room.
The occasions I have seen either, they don't seem to offer much. But there probably are little gems.
Is it worth a subscription??
On 5/17/2012 11:34 AM, Leon wrote:

On 5/17/2012 11:17 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

With the exception of the first 6 issues of WoodSmith I have all of them. I have all of the SopNotes.
Worth it, maybe. Little advertising and pretty good instructions. I reference back issues with the indexing system often.
Always resubscribe by e-mail and ask for the introductory web site price vs. the re-up price which is generally 30 % more.
And for $99 you can get all 200 back issues on DVD.
On 5/17/2012 9:17 AM, tiredofspam wrote:

They both are fairly decent but Shop Notes leans toward tools and jigs while Woodsmith is more toward "very" detailed furniture plans and ideas.
I used to get both but Shop Notes does get a little redundant after a year or two.
"tiredofspam" wrote:

----------------- WoodSmithShop projects can be downloaded as pdf files, free of charge.
Lew
Every plan I see has a price. Is that because I need to use the magazines URL to get to the projects?
On 5/17/2012 3:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

On 5/17/2012 8:20 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Each issue typically directs you to their site for a few select down loads. How long they stay up is another matter.
"tiredofspam" wrote:

------------------------- Try:
http://tinyurl.com/ch6lac8
Lew
Thanks,
In looking at these plans, most (not all) seem shop related or very simple designs.
That's what I was afraid of. So is it worth the subscription price?
Well most magazines these days suck. I have stopped all magazines lately.
I might give this a try since I have never had a subscription to Woodsmith, knowing that it probably will be just 1 season.
On 5/21/2012 2:54 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

In this area, I'm down to Fine Woodworking ($5/issue) and Shopnotes ($2.33/issue). Together that is $49/yr. They are worth it to me as "Edu-tainment". In a nutshell, Fine Woodworking has the best pictures ("inspiration"), and Shopnotes has the best ideas (or at least the most for your time/money). Hope tht helps.
Having been a previous subscriber to it and others, my next preference would be "Wood" magazine. Since I also subscribe to WoodCarving magazine, Family Handyman and 2 others, I already have too many! If I didn't resubscribe to Family Handyman, the loss wouldn't be too great (hyperbole). In the current issue, they explain how to try to fix your AC. The article suggests throwing $150 at "the problem" replacing parts, and hope that catches the problem (what a "joke")!
Bill

Damn you Leon, tomorrow is Mt St. Helens birthday as well as mine. So now for birthday presents I have to buy the 48 tooth WWII and the Incra Ibox jig. 8-) Also finishing up a 360 sq' addition to the shop and hope to be able to get some work done. Going from It's bad when your body get's bruised just trying to move thru a crowded shop. That will give me 3 WWII blades and I'll put another vote in for the frued dial a dado blade,. Looking forward to going up to a 942 sq. 'shop. As long as I don't buy more large tools it should all fit.
Mike M
On 5/17/2012 4:39 PM, Mike M wrote:

You can always build that jig form the ShopNotes/WoodSmith site... But I think the price of the Incra is a reasonable price and it appears to have a few nice features.
Hurry up and get the jig and let us know how it works. I really like the fact that you can alter spacing and make the cuts on any width board.

It was an expensive day. I got the jig plus the hingemaker kit as well as the 48 tooth forest WWII. Also finally found a good deal on Craigs list for a set of welding gas tanks to replace the rental one's I had. Of course in tonights mail was a letter from social security disability that they are reducing my benefits to $225 as they think the state L&I is paying me $2600. I've been trying to close the claim since jan of 2011. I'll stop there as I could really go off on Wa. State. Claims manager has to get permission to close my claim for early retirement as I don't plan to return to work. I'm 62 and they want to retrain me. I've got a master electricians license a backhoe and excavator and they want to retrain me at my expense. Anyway I'm looking forward to playing with the jig I think it will be my go to tool for xmas. Love your work Leon I save pictures for ideas.
Mike M
On 5/18/2012 9:14 PM, Mike M wrote:

Have you already got your hands on the jig Mike??? If so where did you get it? I have only seen it at Sacramental Tools so far.

I ordered it from Incra. Says they usually ship in 3-5 days so I imagine I will see it the last week of May. I'm looking forward to playing with it.
Mike M