New Incra iBOX

Has any one tried one of these out yet? It is on my "next to get" list, I think.

Looks to be a decent price, $170.

Looks like one can finally make the box joint fit the project rather than having to do it the ouhter way around.

Leon

Nice looking product... Really well engineered it seems.

Those teeth look like Steel.. I would have like to see alum so that an accident causes me to replace its locator tooth rather than a blade and locator.

Other than that real nice.

Reply to
tiredofspam

And then there is this! If you want to build it.

Leon

What's cool is that it appears to have the "kerfmaster" concept built-in.

Since I have the Woodwoodsmith box joint jig, which works just fine; and the Akeda Dovetail jig I got from Han does box joints quickly and easily, so I probably won't be getting one of these any time soon.

Reply to
Swingman

Do you have the aluminum WoodSmith jig? I saw that one plus the one that you build with a kit, that one appears to work like the Incra. I may have to try the $15 kit...once back in stock. I did not notice any plans in past WoodWmith issues which is odd.

Reply to
Leon

Hey a question about Woodsmith and Shopnotes.

I have never subscribed. Currently I am not subscribed to anything so I have some wiggle room.

The occasions I have seen either, they don't seem to offer much. But there probably are little gems.

Is it worth a subscripti> >>> Has any one tried one of these out yet? It is on my "next to get" list, >>> I think.

Reply to
tiredofspam

With the exception of the first 6 issues of WoodSmith I have all of them. I have all of the SopNotes.

Worth it, maybe. Little advertising and pretty good instructions. I reference back issues with the indexing system often.

Always resubscribe by e-mail and ask for the introductory web site price vs. the re-up price which is generally 30 % more.

And for $99 you can get all 200 back issues on DVD.

Reply to
Leon

They both are fairly decent but Shop Notes leans toward tools and jigs while Woodsmith is more toward "very" detailed furniture plans and ideas.

I used to get both but Shop Notes does get a little redundant after a year or two.

Reply to
Pat Barber

----------------- WoodSmithShop projects can be downloaded as pdf files, free of charge.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

So now for birthday presents I have to buy the 48 tooth WWII and the Incra Ibox jig. 8-) Also finishing up a 360 sq' addition to the shop and hope to be able to get some work done. Going from It's bad when your body get's bruised just trying to move thru a crowded shop. That will give me 3 WWII blades and I'll put another vote in for the frued dial a dado blade,. Looking forward to going up to a 942 sq. 'shop. As long as I don't buy more large tools it should all fit.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

You can always build that jig form the ShopNotes/WoodSmith site... But I think the price of the Incra is a reasonable price and it appears to have a few nice features.

Hurry up and get the jig and let us know how it works. I really like the fact that you can alter spacing and make the cuts on any width board.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
tiredofspam

Leon wrote in news:zaudnQ- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

took a couple of hours to build. I have used it on several projects with differing thickness pieces and it works very well for all.

Reply to
Steve

Each issue typically directs you to their site for a few select down loads. How long they stay up is another matter.

Reply to
Leon

In this area, I'm down to Fine Woodworking ($5/issue) and Shopnotes ($2.33/issue). Together that is $49/yr. They are worth it to me as "Edu-tainment". In a nutshell, Fine Woodworking has the best pictures ("inspiration"), and Shopnotes has the best ideas (or at least the most for your time/money). Hope tht helps.

Having been a previous subscriber to it and others, my next preference would be "Wood" magazine. Since I also subscribe to WoodCarving magazine, Family Handyman and 2 others, I already have too many! If I didn't resubscribe to Family Handyman, the loss wouldn't be too great (hyperbole). In the current issue, they explain how to try to fix your AC. The article suggests throwing $150 at "the problem" replacing parts, and hope that catches the problem (what a "joke")!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It was an expensive day. I got the jig plus the hingemaker kit as well as the 48 tooth forest WWII. Also finally found a good deal on Craigs list for a set of welding gas tanks to replace the rental one's I had. Of course in tonights mail was a letter from social security disability that they are reducing my benefits to $225 as they think the state L&I is paying me $2600. I've been trying to close the claim since jan of 2011. I'll stop there as I could really go off on Wa. State. Claims manager has to get permission to close my claim for early retirement as I don't plan to return to work. I'm 62 and they want to retrain me. I've got a master electricians license a backhoe and excavator and they want to retrain me at my expense. Anyway I'm looking forward to playing with the jig I think it will be my go to tool for xmas. Love your work Leon I save pictures for ideas.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Have you already got your hands on the jig Mike??? If so where did you get it? I have only seen it at Sacramental Tools so far.

Reply to
Leon

I ordered it from Incra. Says they usually ship in 3-5 days so I imagine I will see it the last week of May. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

YOU SUCK! :-)

But do let us know how it works...

Reply to
tiredofspam

I am about to pull the trigger myself. I see you ordered the hinge jig too. Did you order the bit set too?

Reply to
Leon