Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
On 11/6/2010 8:13 AM, Han wrote:

Basically, I've had it, Han ...
I present to you that the electorate ... voters who can knowingly send to Congress a proven LIAR of the first magnitude; a despicable, base, lying lawyer who cheapened, without outrage from the media or public, the service of every combat veteran who ever served this country ... represent a country not long in standing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Sorry, Karl, don't know which one of the 1000 or so liars you are talking about here. I know of one CT guy who did some such thing, but I'm not sure how really bad his statements were. Remember, I hesitated just a tiny bit when coming to the US in '69 because I didn't agree with the Vietnam policies of that time.
I'm very worried about the demagoguery (spelling?) going on, on all sides. Wish there was a regulation that would force vetting of truthfullness BEFORE broadcasting.
--
Best regards
Han

Let's be honest - truth is subjective. I don't care about where someone puts their penis, whether they have one, or even if they are one, as long as they can work with people and get the job done.
As a project manager once said to the room full of us, "We have to get this stuff done and get the CO. Make the decisions, get it done, we'll give you your beatings later."

Northing subjective about a lie. It is or it isn't. But a liar is still scum and cannot be trusted. Han is talking about our AG soon to be Senator. If he can lie about serving in Vietnam when he did not, he can lie about other things. Do you want him making decisions that affect your life and the rest of the country? Sorry, I'll never believe a word he says and will never trust him.

I agree completely, Ed. But this was (for you CTers) a choice between 2 bad candidates. I would have hated this woman to be the Senator. But it is your choice ...
--
Best regards
Han

The choices for both Senator and Governor were very bad this time around. Did little good, but I voted for independents.

Depends on the lie, doesn't it? Bill Clinton's "I did not have sex with that woman" was, strictly speaking, not a lie. Everybody in the world would consider a BJ to be sex, but that's not the definition. That's what I meant. If people believe what they say, even if it turns out to be wrong, is that a lie? If you interpret something one way, and someone else interprets it another, where's the lie?

Of course that is your prerogative, and I understand completely, though I do not know the details of the guy you're talking about. But I do not think we are in a situation where we must eliminate all liars from holding public office, or any job for that matter. The potential pool would be mighty slim indeed.
I'm not looking for a saint to hold office, I'm looking for someone to be effective and not tear stuff down instead of building it up. My parents used to lie to me all of the time. "Are we there yet?!" "Almost. Just a little while longer." In some situations, in hindsight, that was certainly a lie, but it got me to shut up and was for the greater good. I don't hold that against them.
We are in such a situation. We need to be told the truth about the economy, the deficit, etc., but we don't need to be told the truth about who's banging who, who was the greater war hero, or any of that. It's not applicable. It's irrelevant and distracting, and that is what this country seems to be focusing on - being distracted so we don't have to face the big issues.
I don't particularly care if your Senator-to-be got caught drunk driving (as long as he didn't kill someone), banged an intern, is a closeted gay, or any other such nonsense. If the guy is an a-hole who is an obstructionist and will vote along party lines regardless of what the majority of his constituents want, well, I would consider bringing back tar and feathering.
We need to move on from the nonsense.

No it does not.

My mother would not use such language. My father, well, he would have prefaced it with, Godammit! ;)

Ah, I see. You have never in your life lied. Got it. Tell me, was it painful pulling the nails out of your feet and palms?

Where did I make such a claim? You like making up shit, eh? My mistake, I keep forgetting you're a troll.

Ah, then by your definition gay sex is oxymoronic. I think you'll find that you're the only one on the planet, other than BJ Clinton, who uses such a narrow definition of "sex".

It is not my definition, it is the idiom. 'Sex' and 'have sex' are two different things.
sex  /sɛks/ —Idiom 8. to have sex, to engage in sexual intercourse.
Other definitions use words like vaginal to also restrict the defintion.
Bill Clinton is no dummy and he was treading a fine line, but he did not lie in that specific answer. Yes, of course, everyone knows he was playing with words, and he was using his superior knowledge of the language in an attempt to cover up his intern-ing. In other words, he knew the question that was being asked, knew that his answer did not _technically_ constitute a lie in answer to that question - and also that he was not answering the question the way almost anyone else would answer it.
That's my point. He lied and he didn't lie, but it doesn't matter to me as it was and is between him and his wife. There was a Prime Minister of France, forget which one - maybe Jacques Chirac, when confronted by a reporter about whether a particular woman was his mistress, responded, "Yes, what of it?" That was the start and end of the 'scandal'. No stupid 24/7 coverage, no investigations, no moralizing - no distraction from real issues.

It was Georges Pompidou, and both his wife and his mistress were at his funeral.
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/6/2010 9:09 AM, Han wrote:

Not the point, Han ... makes no difference which period of history, that those who will condescend to outright lie to your face don't make good representatives is inarguable, to knowingly ignore that fact is despicable.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yep, but this McMahon was a worse choice IMO. Glad I didn't have to make the choice ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 11/6/2010 10:04 AM, Han wrote:

Simply proves my original point ... an informed electorate, with skin in the game other than lip service to a "sacred cow" concept, would have not been put in that position.
Throughout human history it has been these 'sacred cows' that have wreaked havoc on man's attempt to govern himself.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Han wrote the following:

We only have truth in advertising, and they don't even enforce that.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Some folks are saying that there will be a culling of those pests within the next couple of years. We shall see, if the Obamunists don't sink us first.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
On 11/3/2010 6:33 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Trying to rain on someone's parade again, C-less?
Obviously hurricane strapping is not installed until after all the framing elements are in.
Do you know what a "shear wall" is?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5133128337/in/photostream/lightbox /
You see that thermo-ply sheathing> It is one of the main elements of a "shear wall" in a frame construction.
In the photo, you can also see, from the top sill plate of the first floor exterior wall, that the next course of plywood sheathing will overlap the first and second floor exterior walls, which is also a shear wall requirement in most locales in this area.
(I would have actually used a "running bond" overlap, instead of butt join, of the sheathing in this area to give it added shear resistance, but as long as it is properly nailed it should pass local shear wall inspection requirements, as is ... once the sheathing is complete, of course).
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010