New House/Shop becoming a reality

Page 1 of 5
Several months ago I mentioned that my wife I were going to sell our home to our son, he recently graduated with his masters degree and has gone to work for KPMG.
Last week the sale was final and now we are homeless, so to speak.
Two weeks ago yesterday the forms for the foundation of our new home were erected. Yesterday the roof decking, windows, siding where there sill be no brick or rock, gas plumbing, and sheathing had been installed. Tentatively we meet with the building supervisor to do a pre dry wall inspection.
I get my 3 car shop, my wife gets her large sewing studio. Yeah!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5143374142/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5143374142/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5142769415/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5142769415/in/photostream/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/lightbox/

Most excellent, Leon. Place is looking sharp. I'll be very interested in seeing how you lay out your three shop car...excuse me...three car shop. ;)

Most excellent, Leon. Place is looking sharp. I'll be very interested in seeing how you lay out your three shop car...excuse me...three car shop. ;)
I did a Sketchup model of the house and shop layout. Take a look at the attached PDF, titled New Shop Layout at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you BTW!
I did mine in Better Homes and Garden's 3D CAD Professional. It was an effort to get it to behave but worth it in the end. It looks just like the virtual walkthroughs did.
"END"??? What end? I am still finishing it after three years and many pulled muscles.
Just a note: A friend of mine has built a few homes and after backfilling and planting seed, he took a plate vibrator / packer to the lawn around the house. Weird, I know but the grass grew so fast I couldn't believe it and two years later no sinking can be detected.
I did a Sketchup model of the house and shop layout. Take a look at the attached PDF, titled New Shop Layout at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Very nice. Up 'til now, we were actually not convinced you knew how to use a hammer.
Anyone would look forward to retiring into a nice shop, er...., home as that. Gonna move in before New Years?
^5
I viewed a few more pics. I noticed those 3 inspectors (ladies)! ..... Keeping you on your toes, I suspect.
Sonny

Thank you
What'sa a hammer? ;~)

From grass on the ground to this stage in 15 days. Tentatively the closing date is Dec 21, 2010. Pre dry wall inspection Nov 8.

IIRC they were all in the sewing studio......planing where to locate the quilting equipment. The up stairs has a game room/ sewing studio, full bath, and one bed room with w/i closet. She is talking about putting a small refrigerator up there. I may never see her.

perhaps, more accurately, a quilting cave.
That is the way that it is at my house. If I can't find Dawn, she is in her quilting room. You have to squeeze into the room because there is a big cabinet full or fabric right inside of the door. There are shelves down one side with boxes of fabric that go to the ceiling. With numerous other crates, boxes, cabinets, etc with even more fabric in the room. This does not count the three sewing machines, a serger, a fancy table with adapters for all the sewing machines and various thread racks.
To stay in the room cause an increase in estrogen. She listens to her music in there.
I know of what you speak. I, too, am married to a quilter.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message wrote

We have to fit in an 11'x5' long arm quilting machine and a couple of others, one is an embrodry machine. Several years ago I built a large cabinet with drawers to store the long arm poles and stands and tracks. That thing will have to go up stairs and be lifted over a guard rail... Oh Boy!
And yeah, I suggested that my wife stay with carpet up stairs. The floors are going to get estrogen slippery with all of her quilting buddies getting together up there. I told her the carpet would be easier on her feet.

Lucky bastard.
At least until the ole bat next door calls the cops on your noisey router and eventually shuts you down.

Lucky bastard.
Thanks I think ;~)
At least until the ole bat next door calls the cops on your noisey router and eventually shuts you down.
Already covered that with the HOA. ;~) Not a problem as long as the garage remains a garage and not something that would prevent 3 cars from being brought in some time in the future. I purposely picked a lot with no immediate neighbors. Prospective new neighbors will see what they are getting into and can pick another location. ;~) Actually my current nieghbors like the fact that I work out of my garage. They know that I am keeping an eye on the "goings ons" in the neighborhood while they are away at work, and I generally don't work at night.
On 11/3/10 2:14 PM, Leon wrote:

Mine, too, for that same reason. Neighbor two doors down works at home, too.
Congrats on the new place.
--

-MIKE-

Thank you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/#/photos/lcb11211/5143374922/in/photostream/lightbox /Good luck on the new house/shop. Just one comment on the pics. If you have a paint/photo program, blur out the street names in your first picture. It only took me a couple of minutes, sitting at my computer, to locate your house location. You can't be too careful with personal information that is posted for all to see.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 11/3/10 2:21 PM, willshak wrote:

Guess I don't understand the paranoia. Before internet mapping, a call to 411 would yield the same results. A call to the local county clerk would tell you a bunch more.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote the following:

What information would you give the 411 operator to get the address?

What local county clerk?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 11/3/10 3:11 PM, willshak wrote:

I was speaking in general. I'm listed in the phone book. Even the quickest web perusal reveals my last name and the city in which I live.
But, to expound on my "paranoia" comment.... Blotching out the street names in his picture is the equivalent of putting a $10 latch and padlock on your shed. All it does it keep out the curious. Anyone interested in stealing your stuff can be in and out of your shed in 5 minutes and you'd be none the wiser.
Same goes for any public information for anyone in this newsgroup. Blotching out those street names may keep someone like you from googling it and saying, "oh, wow, so that's where his new house is." But someone who is intent on doing anything else that would warrant paranoia wouldn't be impeded in the least by that.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

But the only people who had your name were people you dealt with personally and businesses with which you had a relationship. Now with the Internet if you use your real name online every loon on Earth sees it.

I thought about that but hind site.....;~)

Building your own is always a trip. Looks like a nice quiet area for a CNC. <G>
Congrats!