New Home Office Project

Page 2 of 3
On 1/14/2013 1:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Thank you, I can't wait either. ;~) I have been putting this off since we moved into our new home two years ago.

Absolutely :~0
Leon wrote:

Have you always been a glutton for punishment? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 1/14/2013 2:40 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Only in relatively recent years. I built a bedroom set and a pantry for "us" starting about 3 years ago, between the paying jobs. I was stretching what I consider my limits on both.
Then there was this about 10 years ago, The long quarter columns on the front corners of the chest pictured below were completely cut on a TS and a touch of sandpaper to ease the edges. The capitols top and bottom were done on a lathe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8380785705/in/set-72157630857421932/lightbox /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8381866850/in/set-72157630857421932/lightbox /

Some gorgeous furniture coming soon!! Congrats on the design, Leon!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/14/2013 3:34 PM, Han wrote:

Thank you Han. I'll try and keep my progress posted.

That's similar to something I've always wanted to build ~ a completely integrated computer station. Only one difference, my idea is a little more grandiose.
I want to build a computer station that can be completely enclosed by finished cabinet doors hiding the whole system. The doors would also have integrated shelving on them with various computer peripherals.
Naturally, the doors would be pretty heavy, so they'd necessarily need to roll on some type of wheels ~ maybe skateboard trucks.
The main idea is open, it's a whole computer system. Closed, it would look completely unlike a computer system, maybe looking like an exotic array of cabinets and shelving, suitable for a high end living room.
Anyway, that's my idea. Don't have the space to build it right not, but I guess there's nothing stopping me from designing it.
On 1/15/2013 9:46 AM, Dave wrote:

I tried that to some extent on my current desk in 1986. I found that computers, printers, and monitors all change shape and size. My original printer, 6 or so printers ago fit in my desk drawer, no longer.

Yes, you have a point there. Nevertheless, the size of computer station that I had in mind would certainly allow for a changing configuration in the years to come. You do have to admit, that except for increasing monitor size, computers are generally getting smaller as time goes on.
The current computer case that I have is only 2.5" less deep than the case I've been eyeing. Both of them are pretty well future proofed.
Here's the one I've been thinking about. Temjin TJ11. One thing in particular that I like about it is that the motherboard is rotated 90 and heat can be exhausted out of the top of it.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=temjin+tj11&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-an1UOqWHoTW2gXl34CYBg&sqi=2&ved CwQsAQ&biw0&bihD1
On 1/15/2013 1:16 PM, Dave wrote:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=temjin+tj11&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-an1UOqWHoTW2gXl34CYBg&sqi=2&ved CwQsAQ&biw0&bihD1
Yeah computers are getting smaller. But my current one, I had it built 20 months ago, is the biggest that I have had yet. In fact the one in the model is an exact match. ;~)
My tower has exhaust on every side except the right hand side and has 5 fans. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&idW4&Itemida&limit=1&limitstart=3
On 1/14/2013 11:07 AM, Leon wrote:
Progress so far. The front and back face frames for the desk drawer units have been assembled and are receiving varnish for the hard to get to areas. Side panel assemblies to the drawer units will be assembled tomorrow after the 4th coat of varnish on the cherry panels.
The stiles for the front and back face frames with Domino mortises
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8387897986/in/set-72157622991960362 /
The rails to the back face frames with Domino tenons, a pretty cool joint. It naturally forms a rabbet with its lap joints strengthened with the Donimos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8387898578/in/set-72157622991960362 /
What the joint looks like assembled.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8387899142/in/set-72157622991960362 /
And the finished back face frame showing the rabbet that goes all the way around the opening. Note the dado's on the bottom sides of both stiles. These will receive the side panels.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8387899782/in/set-72157622991960362 /
As a side note, all of the kerf cuts in the plywood work surface are a result of cutting the Wilsonart plastic laminate for the airplane cabinet project. The Festool fine tooth blade for plywood cut the laminate like a hot knife through butter with absolutely no chipping.

Looks great so far. I like the joint with the dominoes. Looks real strong to me (nincompoop).
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/16/2013 3:53 PM, Han wrote:

I am sure this has been used long before me but I never saw one like this before I came up with it about 14 months ago. Thank you Sketchup for helping me visualize it. I have made 14 previous back face frames this way in the past year or so, not counting the current project. I am reeeeeeeeel happy with it.

You should put that Sketchup file on the website ... (hint - so I can "borrow" it!)
--
Best regards
Han

Which file and what web site.?
Leon wrote:

Sure beats cutting mortices for loose tenons with a router, doesn't it. I don't have a domino cutter but if I did wood stuff for a living I sure would.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Considering that I have bought 3 cases of replacement Dominos in 5 and 6 mm it sure does beat using a router in most cases. IIRC the 5 mm cases come with 1800 Domino tenons. I have probably cut at least 4000 mortises.
Well the glue is setting and all 8 sides of the ddesk drawer units are basically done. Next major task will be building drawers. The desk portion could be finished by the end of next week, probably not. LOL
These BTY are clocked 90 degrees...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8389196187 /
On 1/17/2013 11:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Gorgeous, as usual. Hell, you _will_ be finished next week.
BTW, What does the "Y" stand for? <g,d,r>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/17/2013 12:25 PM, Swingman wrote:

Out of the clamps and dry fit with approximate distance placement.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8390822778 /
Joint Detail
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8389737835/in/photostream /
On 1/17/2013 12:25 PM, Swingman wrote:

Perhaps.
Hell! And I paid particular attention to that and even was thinking of you when I typed it. I have done that for so long that BTY looks right and BTW looks wrong.
While we are at it, wheat does the extra d in ddesk stand for?? ;~)