New Home Office Project

Some years back I built a desk for out new computer and all its goodies. That was 1986.

Yesterday I began cutting wood for the new office furniture.

And a long way to go to get to this.

am using white oak for the solid wood components and cherry for the exterior plywood panels. At the moment the top of the desk will be a complementary color, plastic laminate. The desk top will be approximately 32" x 96"

Yes the drawer tops, file cabinet cabinet door rails, door top rails and center eye brow are curved, not an optical illusion. I hope they work out that way. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Absolute tasty design ... can't imagine the execution anything but.

Reply to
Swingman

Well than you again. Now if only my shop was a giant 3D printer.

Reply to
Leon

That's gonna be real sweet! I love contrasting colors like that. I just did an Urn with a cherry box surrounmded with Maple columns and top and bottom. Came out pretty nice if I say so myself. Only charged them $100

RP

Reply to
RP

with someone, it would not be a good situation.

It will match the bed.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I absolutely love the curves on that tall cabinet and can't wait to see the finished results. You should have pictures of the finished product in a couple weeks, right? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Have you always been a glutton for punishment? :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Urn with a cherry box surrounmded with Maple columns and top and bottom. Came out pretty nice if I say so myself. Only charged them $100

Thank you! White Oak and cherry are not two woods that you would normally think would go together well. Three years ago I built a bedroom that used white and red oak and cherry. It did not turn your stomach. ;~)

I am looking more for the contrast and color differences. Cherry and maple go together real well but I wanted something darker.

Reply to
Leon

Yup. My wife. Our work areas are pretty well separated, I have the garage she has the second floor for quilting.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you, I can't wait either. ;~) I have been putting this off since we moved into our new home two years ago.

Absolutely :~0

Reply to
Leon

try purpleheart. with shellac it turns pretty dark purple-brown-ish.

Reply to
chaniarts

Only in relatively recent years. I built a bedroom set and a pantry for "us" starting about 3 years ago, between the paying jobs. I was stretching what I consider my limits on both.

Then there was this about 10 years ago, The long quarter columns on the front corners of the chest pictured below were completely cut on a TS and a touch of sandpaper to ease the edges. The capitols top and bottom were done on a lathe.

Leon

I have never ever had any luck with purple heart staying purple. For me it always turns brown. It would look cool in purple heart and maybe, zebra! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Some gorgeous furniture coming soon!! Congrats on the design, Leon!!

Reply to
Han

Thank you Han. I'll try and keep my progress posted.

Reply to
Leon

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:07:31 -0600, Leon

integrated computer station. Only one difference, my idea is a little more grandiose.

I want to build a computer station that can be completely enclosed by finished cabinet doors hiding the whole system. The doors would also have integrated shelving on them with various computer peripherals.

Naturally, the doors would be pretty heavy, so they'd necessarily need to roll on some type of wheels ~ maybe skateboard trucks.

The main idea is open, it's a whole computer system. Closed, it would look completely unlike a computer system, maybe looking like an exotic array of cabinets and shelving, suitable for a high end living room.

Anyway, that's my idea. Don't have the space to build it right not, but I guess there's nothing stopping me from designing it.

Reply to
Dave

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:01:04 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Yeah, I noticed that and it's not a bad idea. Space to slide over to some other peripheral or perhaps a second monitor. Worst case, a second person could be sitting there taking part or helping you work. Best case, you could be gaming against the person sitting beside you.

Reply to
Dave

Woodcraft sold (and may still) a dye called, IIRC, burgundy. A little of that on purpleheart does not change the color, but it keeps the color a lot longer. In fact I'm still waiting after several years to see the brown.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Do they have anything for keeping the sapwood in poplar from looking like a lime popsicle after a clear coat?

Reply to
Swingman

Latex paint?

Reply to