New Home Office Project

Page 1 of 3
Some years back I built a desk for out new computer and all its goodies. That was 1986.
Yesterday I began cutting wood for the new office furniture.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8380019629/in/photostream/lightbox /
;~)
And a long way to go to get to this.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8380072459/in/photostream/lightbox /
I am using white oak for the solid wood components and cherry for the exterior plywood panels. At the moment the top of the desk will be a complementary color, plastic laminate. The desk top will be approximately 32" x 96"
Yes the drawer tops, file cabinet cabinet door rails, door top rails and center eye brow are curved, not an optical illusion. I hope they work out that way. ;~)
On 1/14/2013 11:07 AM, Leon wrote:

Absolute tasty design ... can't imagine the execution anything but.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/14/2013 11:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

Well than you again. Now if only my shop was a giant 3D printer.
That's gonna be real sweet! I love contrasting colors like that. I just did an Urn with a cherry box surrounmded with Maple columns and top and bottom. Came out pretty nice if I say so myself. Only charged them $100
RP
On 1/14/2013 11:38 AM, RP wrote:

Urn with a cherry box surrounmded with Maple columns and top and bottom. Came out pretty nice if I say so myself. Only charged them $100

Thank you! White Oak and cherry are not two woods that you would normally think would go together well. Three years ago I built a bedroom that used white and red oak and cherry. It did not turn your stomach. ;~)
I am looking more for the contrast and color differences. Cherry and maple go together real well but I wanted something darker.
On 1/14/2013 2:02 PM, Leon wrote:

try purpleheart. with shellac it turns pretty dark purple-brown-ish.
On 1/14/2013 3:09 PM, chaniarts wrote:

I have never ever had any luck with purple heart staying purple. For me it always turns brown. It would look cool in purple heart and maybe, zebra! ;~)
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:20:30 -0600, Leon wrote:

Woodcraft sold (and may still) a dye called, IIRC, burgundy. A little of that on purpleheart does not change the color, but it keeps the color a lot longer. In fact I'm still waiting after several years to see the brown.
carrying a cross.
On 1/15/2013 11:27 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Do they have anything for keeping the sapwood in poplar from looking like a lime popsicle after a clear coat?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Latex paint?
On 1/15/2013 11:54 AM, Swingman wrote:

Yes! this one in particular. ;~)
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2007257/16238/general-finishes-wood-stain-water-based-espresso-stain-pint.aspx
On 1/15/2013 12:51 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2007257/16238/general-finishes-wood-stain-water-based-espresso-stain-pint.aspx
Pfffft. "clear" ... like shellac, lacquer, etc. ;~)
But yes ... Java Gel Stain on poplar on poplar will too:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsManCh18.JPG
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:54:36 -0600, Swingman wrote:

I built a magazine rack for a friend. Each of the partitions was poplar with walnut trim. I picked the greenest poplar I could find. I liked the look and my friend loved it. I warned him to keep it out of the sun.
In answer to your question, just put the poplar in the sun for a while :-).
carrying a cross.

A two person desk? I see two chairs there. If I had to work that closely with someone, it would not be a good situation.
It will match the bed.
On 1/14/2013 1:01 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Yup. My wife. Our work areas are pretty well separated, I have the garage she has the second floor for quilting.

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:01:04 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Yeah, I noticed that and it's not a bad idea. Space to slide over to some other peripheral or perhaps a second monitor. Worst case, a second person could be sitting there taking part or helping you work. Best case, you could be gaming against the person sitting beside you.
On 1/15/2013 9:50 AM, Dave wrote:

Actually my wife will be there more than any one else but I can now have a client sitting next to me when reviewing drawings.

The client thing is a good idea. Build it right and you can also use it as an example of your craftsmanship to those clients.
On 1/15/2013 1:18 PM, Dave wrote:

Hence the difficulty factor in the rails on the doors and center arches on the upper unit and the desk between the drawers.
On 1/14/13 11:07 AM, Leon wrote:

I absolutely love the curves on that tall cabinet and can't wait to see the finished results. You should have pictures of the finished product in a couple weeks, right? :-p
--

-MIKE-