new here...need plans.

Page 2 of 2

Sorry it came off the wrong way but I meant it to the jerk who wrote a nasty note.

You'll have to be more specific. That could be most any of us at one time or another.

I'm sure he meant you Edwin. He must have meant you. It is your turn isn't it?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Better still -- don't be specific forget it and enjoy the wreck...

There you go again. <plonk>

Way to make friends and influence people there, Sparky...
Tue, Dec 13, 2005, 4:43am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) doth wondereth: Nothing against free or cheap plans, but is that what you really want? <snip>
Yeah, yeah, yeah.
It's always fun to find free plans. But, I prefer to figure out how I want to make something on my own, it's more fun that way. I do often get ideas from the free plans, even t ho I seldom use ready-made plans anymore.
But, even I buy the occassional plan - when I'm just totally in the dark about how whatever is done. However, it is rather amazing, how many time I've ran across a free plan, that is exactly the same plan that someone is out there trying to sell for $5, $10, or more. That means it's always worth while to doublecheck for a free version, when you find a pay plan you like.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Brian wrote:

Dresser is is a pretty big chunk of project for someone "just getting into the woodworking fun". Better save that one until you have a few under your belt. You haven't even gotten started and you're already looking for help. There is something to be learned from that.
My first woodshop classes back in jr high did not have us building dressers... or even blanket chests to start. I think my first project was an oval hot plate made up of 3 pieces of poplar and some cork. Actually, I think that hotplate was EVERYONE'S first project.
Personally, I like drawing my own plans from pictures of pieces I like. I'd suggest finding a couple pictures in catalogs or online of simple blanket chests that you like and make an attempt to draw up your own plans based on them. You'll learn a bunch and it's very liberating. One or two BASIC woodworking books from a bookstore or the library would also prove quite useful.
As for plans, a few pieces of paper, a calculator, a mechanical pencil or two and an architect's scale will serve you well for now. Walk before you run and all that... plus something about a cart and a horse.
And why wait until the spring thaw? Hook up a heater and start now! Nothing more satisfying than stepping out of your woodshop into the snowy silence of winter.
-Joe Barta
Brian wrote:

www.plansnow.com
Free plans are far and few between, regardless of what people say here. They will tell you to google "free plans", and you get a bunch of links that are pay-for plans.
The plansnow.com plans are good, clear, and pretty cheap. Most are $5 or $6, up to $10 for the more complicated ones.
Tue, Dec 13, 2005, 11:48am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (LarryBud) did burble: Free plans are far and few between, regardless of what people say here. <snip>
You don't google much, do you?
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Well thanks all for the help. Some were good and others not. I guess I will venture out there and see if the plans I can get are good or just wing it on my own.
(Larry Bud) did burble: Free plans are far and few between, regardless of what people say here. <snip>
You don't google much, do you?
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
"Free" is relative. If you don't know what you are doing, $5 or $10 or $15 is cheap for a well thought-out plan that is relatively descriptive. If you want a relatively detailed dresser plan, buy the measured drawing and video from the New Yankee Workshop; there you 'll get some elementary technique and a well thought out plan. My $.02.
Mutt

You're probably better asking here for advice on a specific item when you're ready to build it. There are some really crappy plans out there, that will frustrate you more than help.
But if you ask here, say something like "I need a good plan for a blanket chest that's pretty simple for a beginner", then you'll get some good pointers (plus JOAT will either tell you to Google it, or tell you you don't need plans - he's pretty predictable).
Apropos of blanket chests, Mike Dunbar did an excellent article on building one in Fine Woodworking, back around 1999. If your library has back issues, it'd be worth looking for.
John
Brian wrote:

From Joat... http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1051
Nice. Don't recall that I've seen this one before. I'm thinking the Shakers probably wouldn't have use wood like this, but nice either way.
JOAT The grass on the other side of the fence is seldom greener. It just gets more media attention.