new here...need plans.

Page 1 of 2

I am new here and am just getting into the woodworking fun. I am hoping to get started after the spring thaw and there are a few projects I have in mind. One is a blanket chest and another is a dresser. Does anyone know of a website to get free or down right cheap plans? Or is there a place to help me draw up my own plans?
Add pictures here
βœ–

There's tons of plans on the web Brian. Do a google search and you'll find enough to keep you busy for a long time.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Since you are new, there are several resources of which you should become aware.
    First, if you go to <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking , you can search for topicsof interest.
    Secondly, if you use www.google.com and search for "free blanket chest plans", you will get a hit of approximately 4.7 million candidate sites (yes, google is pretty much becoming useless due to this overload and the number of those hits that are irrelevant). If you look through those, you might find some good candidates for what you have in mind.
βœ–
Brian wrote:

Lee Valley
Canadian Woodworking...
Any of the magazines...
Sometimes the issue is finding the hardware to go with the project. I suggest you look at several magazines and track down wood and hardware -- sometimes they dictate what you can make easily and quickly...
Try my links page for a start.
http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/linksbusiness.htm
Look for the posts by JOAT -- he always has a wealth of links... Look for the poster "JT" -- if you have a newsreader you can sort by name and look at his posts -- seem he just posted a blanket chest.
And of course there is google... http://www.google.ca/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=free+plan+blanket+chest&meta=&btnG=Google+Search
Welcome to the wreck...
-- Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art http://woodwork.pmccl.com The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.” George Bernard Shaw
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've used www.wwhardware.com for several items. BIG selection of hardware.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Brian,
All the free plans and where they're located are kept by one person here, known as JT. Send him a nice long email explaining to him exactly what you're looking for - the more detailed the better. That way he can zero in on exactly what you want. He will search for hours and hours looking for free plans and will not rest until he fulfills your request. He's just that kinda guy - especially this time of the year he likes to help everyone he can and he does it for free.
Now if at first he doesn't answer your email - just be patient and send him a reminder and he'll soon send you a courteous reply telling you the status of his search - or not. Again, you may have to ping him several times since he gets so busy this time of the year but he loves getting email and he really is the best person I know of for finding free plans. That is evidenced by doing a DAGS on his signature " JT " and you'll see all the stuff he posts here. Some of it is absolutely astounding (really) some is mundane, run of the mill type plans but most of what he finds does make for some interesting and excellent reading.
Just mention in your emails that some of the fella's from the wRECk wish him a very Merry Christmas (ya old fart....;-)
Bob S.
(flame retardant britches on...now where's the damn suspenders?)
Add pictures here
βœ–

LOL. Priceless!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Dec 13, 2005, 2:05am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spam.com (Bob S) doth reveal: All the free plans and where they're located are kept by one person here, known as JT. <snip>
And, they're all for sale.
As I am portraying Santa this year, I wanted to be sure you got your card early.
http://www.savhammar.net/bilder/santa%20bad.jpg
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–

J T, do you have any rocking horse plans suitable for a small kid? I tried googling last night but found lots of noise and no signal...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Dec 13, 2005, 5:21pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Dave Hinz) doth plead: J T, do you have any rocking horse plans suitable for a small kid? I tried googling last night but found lots of noise and no signal...
Gee Dave, no I don't. I don' need no steenkin' plans, so I don't save 'em. I'll have to google, but don't know what luck I'll have, because, supposedly, there's only a few free plans on google. But, you might try this link. http://www.freewoodpuzzles.com/toybox.html
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–
see.....I told ya all the old fart still had a sense of humor....;-)
Merry Christmas to you too JOAT,
Bob S.
(Bob S) doth reveal: All the free plans and where they're located are kept by one person here, known as JT. <snip>
And, they're all for sale.
As I am portraying Santa this year, I wanted to be sure you got your card early.
http://www.savhammar.net/bilder/santa%20bad.jpg
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You will also receive 5 times as many plans described as "found this while looking for something else".
Add pictures here
βœ–
Brian wrote:

The public library is another excellent source.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Nothing against free or cheap plans, but is that what you really want? You invest $5000 for tools, you will spend $500 for materials, but yet you will compromise the design because you are too cheap to spend an extra few bucks for plans of the item you really want. How much is that $15 going to be when you look at what you made for the next 20 years?
Try a few places, such as http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com / www.newyankee.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
thanks all for the advise...I will look into contacting JT and the other sites that were recommended. As for the people that write silly stuff here...go away.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Go away??? Hell, if all the people who write silly stuff here went away, it would be one very quiet newsgroup.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
βœ–
Tue, Dec 13, 2005, 5:05am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@woh.rr.com (Brian) doth pontificate: thanks all for the advise...I will look into contacting JT and the other sites that were recommended. As for the people that write silly stuff here...go away.
Oh? So you'll look into contacting me? My advise? That's silly...go away.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Wow...for someone that everyone talks about that is not the response I expected. Well thanks for not helping me!
(Brian) doth

Add pictures here
βœ–
Brian, your comment about "silly comments . . . go away" was kinda off-putting. Showing up in a newsgroup and almost immediately telling people to go away is not the best way to find help.
Add pictures here
βœ–