New Grizzly cabinet saws

I am thinking about replacing my old (original Artisan 63) contractor saw with a Grizzly cabinet saw. I have had fine results dealing with Grizzly, better in fact than with Delta or Powermatic. Lots of things, mostly good, have been said over the years about the different versions of the G1023. But at this point I have to consider also the two new 10" cabinet saws with riving knives and other later features, the G0651 and G0691 (I would want the long fence no matter which saw). Are there any opinions yet on how either of those compares with (a) the G1023SLX and (b) the other of these two? There are some interesting things in the 2009 catalog as well as in Grizzly's manuals available online. The G0691 is the cheapest, at least at its intro price, but it is shown as the heaviest by a significant amount. In fact based on what I can see the G0691 beats both the G0651 and the G1023SLX with the following exceptions: It has a smaller table, but with the extension it seems plenty large enough. It does not have the rear outfeed table that the G0651 does, but I can build that for a lot less than the $445 difference. And, hardest to quantify, the G0691 is made in China while the G0651 is made in Taiwan: This has been a significant factor, I am not sure how much it is now, and I don't need to hear flames devoid of data. All three saws have similar fences, but only the G1023SLX has a fence with any name attached (Grizzly's own Shop Fox brand). Looking at the parts manuals and at the instructions for aligning the fences in the user manuals, I don't see much to choose between them. Has anyone seen the G0651 and/or G0691, better yet both, at a Grizzly plant? Or is there any other basis for real comparison yet? Thanks, Bob Wilson

Reply to
Robert L Wilson

Taiwan made tools are generally regarded as higher quality than China. They have many more years experience in that type of work. Of course, you can get lucky or unlucky in any equipment buy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I second that opinion. I?ve been a machinist for 40 yrs. When I started, all machines were US made. Over the years, they went away, and more and more machines came from the far east. I think Taiwan has a better product then China. That was noticeable from the start.

Plus China?s attitude?sending tainted dog food?. milk products?.sheetrock?.piss poor plywood. Where you spend your money is your ONLY weapon. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

As I (original post) said, I agree that Taiwan has been a better source than China. But there are other differences. E.g, one of the new saws has much more distance from the front edge of the table to the blade at any given blade height, or to the arbor, than either the other new one or the 1023: That seems to me a good idea. (I can always add support out the back, but have frequently wished for more iron table in front of the blade.) But regardless of whether it is good or bad in itself, it means two saws definitely have different innards. I'd like to know whether anybody has been able to play with one, either at home or in a Grizzly store, and can report impressions on how smoothly things work, how rigidly they stay in place, etc. I think I would rather have a better design from China than a worse design from Taiwan, I don't think the difference between the two sources is that big any more, if one design really is better than the other. Thanks for your comments! Bob Wilson

Reply to
Robert L Wilson