New From Festool: The Truck Planer!

I don't know if you've kept up with the news, but Festool has come out with a new product. The Truck and RV Planer. This is the prototype... all that's left is to paint it green. :-D

-MIKE-

We had some of that here - large and I mean large oil equipment being hauled.

The Transport industry have manuals. There are routers and custom software that drivers follow.

What nails some is the city/county/state/etc paves a new 2" or 3" layer on top of the old. Don't change signs and don't notify the industry.

Trucks run into stuff. All of the trucks now have cars in front with tall poles matching the load behind them and they detect such.

Some of the loads are on 80' and 120' trailers - having wheels start at the end and proceed forward with a set of 4 a blank (tire size) set of 2 space, set of 2, space...... monster load.

We had one that was stopped just before the bridge by the lead car - police cars everywhere and they had to back him out of there after they figured where to send his weight and width. He was on the loop and they had replaced the bridge and repaved the lower road.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Yet they can be so easily prevented. I see a blinking yellow light, but that is not enough. Ahead of the bridge should be a series of hanging chains at the 11' 8" height to give a loud warning. It could even trigger other lights, etc. Given the once a month crashes, it is neglect on the part of the highway department.

Yeah it is the driver's fault, but still, it can be prevented.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As bad as it is for the trucks, it's not good for the bridge either. We had a railroad bridge near me that many a truck didn't fit under. For years yo u watched the damage on the underside of the bridge get worse and worse. Ev entually they deemed the bridge unsafe because of the damage to the bridge, not because of how many trucks had been wrecked over the years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Richard Harris (actor)

"Harris's lifelong love of booze was instilled in him from an early age. One of his favourite teenage tales involved driving a massive haulage truck to Dublin at 17, on an errand for his dad.

Despite his orders to be back home promptly, he headed for the nearest pub after making the delivery.

A few drinks later, Harris set off and soon up ahead was a bridge warning "Clearance, 12 feet".

Thinking he could just make it, he sped on, but ran straight into the superstructure, lifting it clean off its pillars.

Flagged down by a policeman, Harris opened his window and shouted: "Sorry, officer. You see, I'm just delivering this bridge to Limerick."

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Yes, it is the drivers fault, but unfortunately it CAN NOT be prevented. I'm sure you've heard the phrase "you cant fix stupid."

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

On 02/09/2015 11:11 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote: ...

Unless there's an indication way before what's shown here; that's too late to have a chance't to stop iff'en don't already know about it.

Of course, the rentals and possibly even the RV drivers may not actually know or think about their clearance but the pro's certainly do...

And, of course, as someone else (I think?) already noted, what's the actual clearance as opposed to the marked? That it's marked 11-8 makes me think it's already at least 4" less than was originally; how much clearance has been lost since the sign was updated/corrected?

Reply to
dpb

If you look into the history of this bridge, you will find that they add more and more and more warnings all the time, and the height is accurate. They added a steel bar indicating the clearance, before the bridge. They added signs, signs, and more signs. They added height sensors with blinking lights that warn a driver that his vehicle is, in fact, too high. The city has done all it can short of digging the street lower or replacing the railroad bridge, which they may not even have jurisdiction over. Oh, and every time the bridge is struck, they have structural engineer assess its fitness.

I've been watching all the videos on the website and one thing that jumps out at you is the amount of rental trucks and RV's that strike the bridge-- probably 90%. Neither of those require a CDL to drive. There's a reason that "extra insurance" they try to sell you at a truck rental place doesn't cover overhead damage. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Whether there was an indication before the one shown or not, whether amateur drivers think about their vehicle height or not, whether the road was resurfaced and the sign was corrected or not, whether the vehicle had the accurate height marked in a clearly visible area or not or weather the next day was the driver's birthday or not doesn't matter. Somebody overdosed on stupid and that caused the accident.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

re: "Somebody overdosed on stupid and that caused the accident"

Who is that "somebody"? Earlier you specifically said "Yes, it is the drivers fault".

Does "somebody" = "the driver" in 100% of those accidents?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Crap. I thought about that right after I sent it.

As "Maxwell Smart" used to say, "Would you believe..."

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The truck rental industry cannot be happy either....

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Did you think about answering my question?

Which sent "it" are you referring to? The sent "it" where you blamed the drivers or the sent "it" when you blamed "somebody".

I don't have anything to believe yet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I will try to put this in terms that you can understand; No.

Apparently I overestimated your ability to see the humor in my response.

Reread the thread and "it" should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.

That is not my fault.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'd have thought the lights would help. Signs are easily ignored. I guess they need a drop down curtain, pop up barriers, or grappling hooks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't know *what* to believe. ;-)

Reply to