New Forum at GW

Check out the brand spanking new woodworking forum (started today) at GW. Why not register?
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum/index.php
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com writes:

Let's count the reasons:
1) You make money off visitors 2) It's not usenet 3) There are already dozens of forums. 4) You can fingerprint every individual who visits your site and target them with ads. 5) It's not usenet 6) Reading a forum on a browser sucks 7) it's not text based 8) and it's not usenet.
Hope this helps.
scott
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 30, 7:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

If only...

Correct
Maybe. Not sure on this one.

Incorrect
Echo?
Hmmm.
Are you sure?

There's that echo again.

Add pictures here
✖
LOL...
"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message writes:

Let's count the reasons:
1) You make money off visitors 2) It's not usenet 3) There are already dozens of forums. 4) You can fingerprint every individual who visits your site and target them with ads. 5) It's not usenet 6) Reading a forum on a browser sucks 7) it's not text based 8) and it's not usenet.
Hope this helps.
scott
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/30/2012 6:24 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

All negated by the fact that Brian is a long time participant here who has helped many with his contributions down through the years and is worthy of the support in his endeavor.
In this particular regard, not many naysayers will be able to say the same ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I don't disagree with you.
I have yet to see forum software (and I've looked at a lot of it) that is as easy as good old text-based usenet.
I just don't have time for web-based forums, so will not be participating.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Add pictures here
✖

I'll admit to rarely actively participating in one, but I do like to lurk, particularly through an RSS feed. Still, I'd like to see guys like Brian succeed, not only because he's proven to know his stuff, but you never can tell where you just might pick up a nugget of information that will save your bacon on that next project.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:10:58 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Amen!

✖

Further, the developers of such software seem to go out of their way to make it difficult to write offline readers for it. The concern, I suspect, is that the offline reader will also block the advertising.
It's bloody frustrating because there's no way to do a proper killfile.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/30/2012 7:24 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Spoken like a true Obummer communist!
Happy may day.
The rest of your reasons are OK, but this one, although unlikely to be true, would be great. I doubt any visitors will be giving him their money though, so he will have to make his money off other than his visitors, also easier said than done, but certainly a noble concept in the USA, not so much in the USSA!
How do you make your money? Printing press? Welfare check?
--
Jack
Got Change: Trickle up Poverty!
On 4/30/2012 6:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

And besides what Scott said, it's not usenet. not interested.
--
Steve Barker
✖

Registering does not deactivate your usenet account.
Add pictures here
✖
On 4/30/2012 6:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Primarily 'cuz I'm just not into "registering"
I do agree about the clumsiness of web-based fora as also being a disadvantage, though, altho that's not the prime reason I won't be registering it's a pretty strong disincentive to use such.
✖
I want to have 1 good source of information on woodworking topics, and rec.woodworking used to be THE best place to find that. When I first got internet, all the expertise was concentrated in one newsgroup. Now we have a plethora of forums and the expertise is spread all over. How annoying. R.W is still a great source nonetheless, and I hope we can keep the level of expertise up as the older guys drop off over time. There's already too many forums and creating more is just counter-productive. At least Google helps find good info that's spread all over.
John S.
On 04/30/2012 06:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
John Shear wrote:

The Wreck puts "People First"--just like Suzy Orman! : )
For various reasons, you won't find that in too many places.
Bill
When I first got

Add pictures here
✖