New for me Jet DC 650

Hey, my friend gave me his old Jet DC650. It's the 30 micron size. So until I get a new job I'm not putting a pleated filter on it.
I would like to use it for my planer, its the only machine that I have a problem getting all the chips from. He used this for sanding balsa dust and put it in another room.
even after beating the bags outside this still blows a ton of dust on start up. Can I wash the bags? I only plan on doing chips from the thickness planer, so I am thinking not much dust, just chips.
There's just too big a cloud of dust coming from this now.
When I get another job, I'll put a pleated on it.
--
Jeff

On 2/28/2014 3:55 PM, woodchucker wrote:

IIRC you are NOT suppose to beat the bags, the dust build up inside the bag acts as a filter.
On 2/28/2014 5:47 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes I know that, but the amount of dust billowing out on start up made me get rid of the dust.
The problem is how fine balsa dust is.. He mostly used it for a down draft sanding table, so it is the finest dust, and it goes through the 30 easily. I really have a problem with balsa dust.
I am pretty sure if I can get these clean, I will be able to re-condition them quickly, but with heavier stuff, My sanders go to my shop vac with a thien collector.. the shop vac has a hepa filter, so it's getting most of my problem dust.
The machine with the most problem has been the planer.. too much comes out the front because it is not getting sucked in. The jet will do that... did a test. I would like to have a clean planer, so I don't have crap intefering with it being flat.
--
Jeff

Can you run it outside and beat on it till it dusts no more?
Mark
On 2/28/2014 7:07 PM, Markem wrote: ...

Just run it; don't beat. It'll clear up.

They are cloth, right? Why *COULDN'T* you wash them?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 3/1/2014 2:31 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Yes they are, but I have a robot for my pool, and that filter specifically says not to wash the fabric, doing so will ruin the filter.
So I'm not sure about these filters. I suspect I can, but it might open the weave, or close it off. Closing it wouldn't be too bad, but opening it would be pouring gas on the fire.
--
Jeff

On 2/28/2014 4:55 PM, woodchucker wrote:

It is interesting that the only cleaning advice the manual gives is to turn the bag inside out and shake it.
If I were you, I'd take the unit outside, mount the bag inside out and run it for a while. I don't know that it will help, but it shouldn't make it any worse than it is now.
On 3/1/2014 5:13 PM, Mike wrote:

Yep, right now I've been cutting the unit apart. This is a unit that was made long ago (blue). The cone is on the bottom preventing the chips from making it down there. Went to the Wynn site and they say that was an old version and for it to properly work the cone needs to be on the top. So I finally figured out how to efficiently cut through the spot welds, after trying grinding , drilling, using a muffler cutter... Just took a thicker spackling tool and punched it through.. wish I tried that earlier. Once I get it back together I'll reverse the bags.
--
Jeff

Yeah but keep away from open flames, and wear a dust mask.
Mark