New Estwing Hammer?

Has anyone tried this new Estwing hammer? Does it stay in a hammer loop with that weird shaped head?
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/hand_tools/estwing/wf21.ht m?L+coastest+hcfw7838ffb1ffb1+1069961807
Weird looking thing, isn't it? It looks like it's been neutered. :)

with
Upscale wrote:

Yeah, just what I was thinking. :)
I haven't tried it, but if Estwing made something that freaky looking, they probably put a lot of R&D into it, and it's probably very ergonomic. Just 'cause hammers have been made a certain way for 200 years doesn't mean it was a good design.

Maybe they're just trying to do something -anything to compete with the ten dollar Chinese copies of the traditional forty dollar Estwing hammers you can get at Menard's now.
BUB 209 wrote:

Oh. Could be. Patents are wonderful that way, for awhile.
Are the copies any good? I love my Estwing hammer. Hard to imagine a knockoff this well-balanced and durable. I bought this thing when I had to drive a couple thousand 2" ring shank nails. I was killing myself with a regular 16 oz. hammer. I barely broke in the Estwing with that light task.

They'll do, but the finish work on the claw isn't as good. The nail puller tapers together to a fine point the way it should, but the claws are a little too blunt. Of course you dont get the wound leather handle, it's bright orange rubbery plastic, but that's actually better if it's laying in a pile of leaves. Yes, I bought a couple, (16 and 20 oz.) simply because I lose at least one hammer a year, that's always a factor in my tool purchases. Some- where in the Twilight Zone is small WAREHOUSE containing all the tools I've ever owned.
It looks like the face is right in line with the front of the handle. Looks like a clearance problem.

with
CW wrote:

14" handle. Framing hammer.
So?

Looks

When you're framing 14" from the face is just air so clearance problem with what?
Mike
You don't envision any circumstance where you would be parallel with the work? I do. I suppose that's the time to use the other hammer, right?
wrote...

handle.
with what?

On Thu 27 Nov 2003 12:10:37p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (K. Williams) wrote in

We saw the larger version in Menards awhile ago. I went off and found a hammerloop because that question occurred to me too. Dropped in just fine and stayed there.
That was a standard, solid ring hammerloop. Don't know how it would be with one of the fancy ones. I've swung that hammer at a friends house and I like it. A lot.
Dan
On 27 Nov 2003 18:10:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (K. Williams) wrote:

I don't trust loops anyway. My framing hammer lives on a lanyard, in case I drop it.