New Edition? - Complete Guide to Sharpening

Hi All,
I went to my local book shop the other day to try and get hold of a copy of Leonard Lee's 'The Complete Guide to Sharpening'.
The said that there was a new edition due early next year. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting a bit and get the latest edition.
I have to say, this information may well be wrong. The shop assistant was a little flustered by the Christmas rush, and might have accessed the wrong information.
Thanks Andy
Andrew Greensted asks:

Get the current edition. I'm not sure what could be added except maybe color pictures, anyway.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

Even the book of Tom Lienielsen's (coffeetablebook?) doesn't add. Tom's book is a Lee's book/dvd + www.woodcentralcom . A good buy can be: Leonard Lee's DVD + his book. Sharpening is understanding.
KL

There seems to be a bit of a shortage of Leonard Lee's book in the UK. Would you say that Tom Lie-Nielsen's Book (easily available) is comparable? Thanks
Andrew Greensted wrote:

No. I have them all and can only tell you if you cannot get the book buy the dvd/video and maybe the video of Mike Dunbar/Taunton. They are real hands on instruction. Get LL's book later. Sharpening is understanding what you are doing. The more I think about it LN's book is a disappointment.
kees

In general, the Tauton/Fine Woodworking "complete illustrated guide" series is disappointing (Lie-Nielsen's book is in that series). A pity, really; FWW has a lot of knowledge on their staff and they could have produced dense, comprehensive books, rather than the rather fluffy product they did.
John
John McCoy wrote:

But the name LN is on it! I know LN is for collectors :-( LV for using.
kees
Ouch! I've been using my LN's. In fact, I love to collet them for using. Obviously, I disagree with your statement, even with the ":-("....
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:20:00 +0000, Andrew Greensted

Who publishes it ? I think it used to be published by Batsford (a UK publisher), but no longer. Now we're looking for imported editions from Taunton. Amazon UK certainly have the paperback.
There are several books that are as good as Leonard Lee's on "how to remove metal and make a sharp edge". What I like about it particularly is that it covers what _shape_ you should be aiming for as well. There's a lot in there about how to make left-handed grockle punches that you just won't see elsewhere.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

Search Amazon.co.uk They still have according their website
kees

The original publisher was Batsford, and yes, it's now Taunton press.
> Amazon UK certainly have the paperback.
As for amazon.co.uk, they do have the book listed, but it's not available direct from them, only through their 'market place' system.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)03189670/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_0_1/202-2069545-4572603
This is one of my pet hates about amazon, they have a huge number of products listed, but most of them are only available via the market place system.
Andy
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:39:00 +0000, Andrew Greensted

They had the paperback in stock a week ago - I checked prices with it.
...before I snarfed a pristine hardback copy from eBay for 6 8-)
Andrew Greensted wrote:

Yeah, it's not very convenient when you want five books, and they're only available from some combination of three suppliers. There's not even a mechanism to really make it obvious what's available from whom in order to consolidate supplier choices and pay a reasonable amount of shipping. Mom was thrilled to discover all the $0.01 used paperbacks, and she accidentally ordered from 200 different suppliers, at something like $3.75 per for shipping. She was really upset when I explained what she was about to do, but at least I saved her from catastrophe.
Charlie Self wrote:

It could show you how to sharpen pencils.