New DW706, can you check your tolerances please?

I got a reconditioned DW 706 dual bevel 12" miter at the Denver WW show for 209 + tax. I was seriously considering the Delta 36-412 or Bosch equivalent, but for that price, the bells and whistles were not worth it. However..

I sat it on the bench and pulled out the engineer square to make some adjustments. I also put a dial indicator next to the blade to check runout. What I found was surpising. Can you comment or check yours..

The runout on the blade is .010 I don't know if this is runout of the arbor or the blade. I'm guessing mostly the 12" blade, but I may try to check the arbor.

The fences are not perpendicular to the table by probably 1 - 3 degrees. The fence is nearly perpendicular to the stationary part of the table, but not to the rotating portion of table. Neither left nor right side are perpendicular. Near as I can tell, the rotating table is tilted just slightly.

0 and 45 bevel and 0 and 45 miter are not quite correct either, but I should be able to adjust that.

I suppose the blade runout is not too bad, but the fence to table not being perpendicular seems to be a difficult issue to overcome. Isn't that going to give me ulcers when trying to cut larger pieces? A flat

45 miter is actually going to have a slight bevel in it??

Am I being too picky? Is this normal? I'll check the ones in the local stores, but wanted to get your comments.

ToolKing, by the way was selling these for $229 at the show. I asked for a little off the display model. If I find this to be out of spec, I'm pretty sure they will replace it.

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

Trout wrote:>

Sounds like a tune-up is in order. I'd worry most about getting a square cut perpendicular to the fence and table to start with. The table to base squareness can be shimmed true, providing the fence is flat. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

I think you are suggesting truing up the miter to be 0 degrees (actually 90). That should be easy enough, but that blade runout is going to bite me.

Getting the table (rotating portion) to be perpendicular to the fence is another story. Near as I can tell the issue is the rotating table is tilted slightly from front (high) to back (low). Thus the fixed table to fence is perpendicular, but the rotating table to fence is not. I cannot shim the fence, because then it would bring the fixed table to fence out of perpendicular. The fence does appear to be flat.

Truth is, with this cast aluminum (yes?) frame, there is going to be quite a bit of flex. I'm curiuos not to take some measurments from other saws.

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

In your post you mentioned the run-out, and the required measuring to see if it's the arbor or blade, so it looks like you had that little problem in hand. The rotating table rides just a little lower than the fixed table area(at least on my saw), but the_ insert_ can be shimmed upwards easily...And cast aluminum is quite stiff, actually. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

so what you are saying it go have some Turkey and worry about this later ;-)

have a good Thanksgiving..

shimming the insert.. mmm.. interesting.. i'll have to go see

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout