New Dremel XPR scroll saw application?

I was just about to go by a table model scroll saw that I saw in Lowes for $87 to use in many decorative projects. Usually cutting wooden pieces. I just saw the new Dremel XRP ad on television. Could this hand held tool be used for my purposes? The ad briefly mentions scroll saw projects. Their website gives very little details of this unit and the poeple and Lowes and HD were very unfamiliar with this tool. THanks Liz

Reply to
b13171

On Sun 09 Jan 2005 04:01:13p, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Without knowing how tight the corners you want to cut are, AND without ever trying a dremel as a scroll saw, it's hard to say. :-) But I'm guessing the dremel would scroll cut the same way a rotozip would, ie with a drill bit that acts like a saw. Therefore your cuts would be limited by the size of the drill bit - a scroll saw can make cuts with extremel sharp angles and corners. The dremel's corners would be the same diameter as the bit. The inside ones anyway.

Depends on what you're going to do, but if'n it was me, I'd still go with the scroll saw. It's cheap and probably won't last a long time but I think I'd be happier with it longer than I would be with a dremel.

Hunh. Go figure. :-)

You *might* find something at epinions.com.

Reply to
Dan

OK If I think I'm reading your post right, you need to go with a scroll saw rather than the Dremel. The XPR is more of a saber saw , than a scroll saw. In English , it uses a farily wide flat blade, that would not work for actual scrolling work. If you're going to be doing intricate work with lots of tight turns and angles, then defintiely the scroll saw.

Reply to
Makinwoodchips

FWIW, the XPR is basically a saber-saw attachment for a Dremel motor. I suspect that it has utility but I'm not quite sure what that would be--if it's significantly smaller than a regular saber-saw then it might be handy for small stuff.

It's certainly not a substitute for a scrollsaw though--it has the same drawback as any other saber saw, the blade is only supported at one end.

Reply to
J. Clarke