New Dremel rant

Went to Lowe's to get a Dremel tool and after getting it home and plugging it in I found that it had a bad switch, it's a two speed and wouldn't select the low speed very well. Took it back later and at the cust. svc. desk opened up another one and had them plug it in, hhmmph, same thing. I told them I wasn't gonna try another and just refund my money. Hummm, maybe ought to go to Sears and look at their Crapsman equivilent, but after looking at it on line, looks just like the dremel. Oh well, just have to get by with my cordless one I guess, only thing is it doesn't go very long on a charge and didn't want to get another battery. Thanks for listening.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

take a look at foredom tools. more money, but way better machines.

FWIW, I bought my first Dremel (with birthday money <G>) back in about 1978. They sell for about the same price now as they did then. When you factor in inflation, that means the tool has gotten much cheaper over the years. The savings has to come from somewhere, Dremel seems to have chosen lowing quality over raising the price.
Barry

You are right there. Wish I had my first one, but it got lost in a move some years ago.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
I quit buying two speed or adjustable speed Dremel and similar many years ago. Have several in parts waiting until I have time to put them back together with the speed control bypassed. Ended up doing that to my Dewalt ROS multispeed. The DAMNED things just don't seem to last. I have a resistance type sewing machine foot pedal that the hand grinders get plugged into. It's about thirty years old and still going. As for the ROS, I haven't found variable speed to be a feature I miss.
rhg
btw, my last hand grinder is a single speed from Sears and has been doing well for four or five years now.